Janis wrote:The Sun is the natural significator of the kings (faves); my prediction is Manchester United.
Liverpool - ManU 3-1
Nope. It went to the Moon and home team. I think that Sun inconjunct L7 Saturn, L7, spoilt it for the guests. Yet, Dirk Kuyt (born 22. July 1980) had a good day for Liverpool by scoring a true hat-trick!
http://www.astronor.com

Blackpool - Chelsea, 20.00 GMT
Odds: 10,00 4,90 1,30
Asc 8LI18 MC 11CN10 Moon 19AR10 POF 10SC33
Day Moon, Hour Mercury - radical by triplicity

Dundee United - Aberdeen, 20.00 GMT
Odds: 2,10 3,25 3,45
Asc 7LI46 MC 10CN47 Moon 19AR10 POF 10SC01
Day Moon, Hour Mercury - radical by triplicity

I'm putting these two games up against one another to make a technical comparison when the results are known. It wouldn't be difficult to favour Chelsea against Blackpool. The lord of the hour, Mercury, is in the same sign as Mars, the lord of the 7th, and Jupiter is close the descendant. Here the mr between Mars and Jupiter should be significant. And I wouldn't mind betting that Torres (Jupiter=Spain) gets his first (Aries) goal at the odds of 2:1. Or the first goal of the match at 4,4:1. However, Chelsea are super-favourites by odds and really Chealse should be able two win by 2 goals and secure a 3-way handicap at 1,75:1.

However, the chart isn't much different in the game in Dundee, but this is a completely different contest with the home team as favourites. Venus, L1, is more tightly trine the asc. and Mars L7 is trine the MC. Yet, the tightest aspect is Pluto square the asc. This is difficult, but isn't it tempting to throw a nickle on Aberdeen? Or could we get a draw? The lord of the hour rules the ascendant by triplicity. In which manner do the charts differ - I am sure someone has an opinion on team colours. Torres scoring first goal 4,4:1 and a draw in the game in Dundee at 3,25:1 gives a total odds of 14,1:1. :)

Blackpool - Chelsea 1-3
DundeeU - Aberdeen 3-1

Well, the 3-way handicap did alright with Chelsea, and it's interesting that both games show the same result, but apart from that - Torres didn't score and its' back to the drawing board.

Is it a simple case of the favourites winning both games?
From a metaphysical level, does one clear favourite acting at the time elevate another 'favourite' to performance at that same moment?

In yesterday's games Mercury, who happened to be lord of hour, disposed Venus, L of ASC, by exaltation. It is a strong testimony for the team who is signified by ASC, this I have mentioned for a number of times and it indeed works.
If we follow the concept of radicality, the position of l of hour is for the fave. Here Mercury is weak but in major dignities of Venus (disposes by exaltation) and Jupiter (by house).
If we put both faves on ASC, we get the right result. But we can do this unless the colours suggest the opposite. There was no disagreement in colours, in both cases the fave's kit agreed well with Libra ASC and its ruler Venus in Acquarius (Chelsea blue, Dundee dark blue).

I have been following Blackpoool for some time, in my opinion they are Leo. They have been demontrating a stunning football when the Sun has been strongly emphasized in the charts.
Yesterday's chart was not good for Blackpool. Though the Moon was in major dignities of the Sun (exaltation) which is a very strong testimony, Libra is an unfortunate ASC for Blackpool, besides Venus, ruler of ASC, was in Aquarius, detriment of the Sun (serious deception in receptions).

Janis wrote:I have been following Blackpoool for some time, in my opinion they are Leo. They have been demontrating a stunning football when the Sun has been strongly emphasized in the charts.
I have no notes on Blackpool, but I do have something in my files on Blackburn registered under the influence of Capricorn and Aries. However, Blackburn performed particularly well on atleast one occasion where the Moon was in the beginning of Leo in the terms and face of Saturn. That made good sense because as the Moon departed from the fall of Mars (by degree) in the terms of Saturn in the end of Cancer, and was rather clogged up, the first thing to come to surface as thing got heated up again was a good and fiery Black smoke... 8)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Barcelona - Arsenal, 1/8 finals, 2nd leg
Odds 1.30 6.00 8.50
20:45, CET, coordinates 41 22 51 N, 02 07 22E
Barcelona - red/blue, Arsenal - yellow shirt/red shorts

ASC 11LI26, MC 13CN21, POF 24SC29, Moon 00TA56
Day Mars, hour Jupiter

The chart is radical, Venus, l of ASC, and Jupiter, l of hour, share the same powers.

ASC for Barcelona, Aries DSC for Arsenal (natural significator of gunners), although according to colours it would be more appropriate to ascribe Aries DSC with Mars in double - bodied Pisces to Barcelona.

The chart is not very telling, the Moon perfects only one aspect within 5 degrees - square APOF (05AQ31), but it seems to be too distant to be taken into account.

There we have a lot of receptions:
Mars (Arsenal) - Jupiter (Barcelona) by house. In this reception Jupiter looks to have power over Mars (Sun and Mercury there are inclined to support Jupiter their ruler rather than Mars who has only triplicity in Pisces). Exalted Moon in Taurus, in detriment of Mars (gunners) is another positive testimony.
If we judge from the receptions between Venus and Mars, we can say that Venus is more strenghened in this chart than Mars, besides Mars disposes Venus by exaltation.
L of the 4th who is Saturn is inside the 1st not far from the cusp, which is yet another testimony.
On the basis of these testimonies I expect Barca to win.

Shakhtar - AS Roma, 1/8 finals, 2nd leg
Odds: 1.80 3.75 4.33
21:45, EET (+2h), coordinates 48 01 15 N, 37 48 55 E
Shakhtar - orange shirt with black stripes, black shorts, Roma - white
ASC 06SC45, MC17LE46, POF 19SA47
Day Mars, hour Venus

The chart can be regarded as radical, SC ASC (cold and moist) agrees with Venus (cold and moist). However, I would call it as a hard radicality because Venus, L of hour, has detriment there.
L of hour Venus is L of DSC. Venus is strongly supported in the chart (see arguments) above.
In this chart nothing happens (all angles are fixed) and it looks like a draw.
It may also suggest that the dice has already been cast and nothing can be changed
However, I will go for Roma to win considering that strong support for Venus. Moon near the cusp of the 7th is also a positive testimony for Roma.

The chart can be regarded as radical, SC ASC (cold and moist) agrees with Venus (cold and moist). However, I would call it as a hard radicality because Venus, L of hour, has detriment there.
I am so excited to see that you are examining these combinations. In my mind, when a planet shares powers with the sign on the ascendant, the chart is radical, yet the lord of the ascendant keeps the control in the chart. It as if the lord/lady of the hour has to confer with and report to the ruler of that sign as it moves head. So if this was an ordinary horary, I would have jugded it as radical, but then according to the powers of Mars.

However, if this chart had been in the hour of the Sun, here it would have been radical becasue of the agreement of powers, not to the sign on the ascendant, but to the ruler Mars, i.e. warm and dry. Here the ruler of the ascendant more readily permits the lord of the hour to administrate the chart, so judgement can be passed on the nature of the Sun.

The hard type of radicality that you are refering to, Janis, is a bit like Mars ruling Cancer by triplicity - because it has it's fall in this sign. So as in the same sense at with Venus and Scorpio there is an infection, risk, danger or predicament. All the same - there is work being done and there are resources. I think that Venus as lady of the hour in a chart with Scorpio rizing is first and foremost good for fertility, although there may be seduction. There may still be some risk or infection of circumstances.

This might be off-topic, but I find it thrilling to continue to gather observations and ideas on various combinations of radicality. :'

Janis Valkovskis wrote: The chart is not very telling, the Moon perfects only one aspect within 5 degrees - square APOF (05AQ31), but it seems to be too distant to be taken into account.
Not wishing to open up a can of worms, but if you reverse the formula for a night chart, POF is at 28:24 Leo with antiscia at 01:35 Taurus which is strong testimony for the favourites as moon will conjunct during the match.

And thanks for connecting Aries to the Gunners, I was having trouble seeing mars in pisces as yellow! (Although some of them did have red boots on!)

Shakhtar - Roma 3:0. I missed one important thing here, as I took Mars as natural significator for Arsenal (gunners), I should have taken Saturn as natural significator for Shakhtar (coal miners). I spotted this association after I posted the predictions. Such strong mr between Saturn (Shakhtar) and lord of hour Venus is a very convincing testimony, we do not need other. If you can spot a telling symbolism, prefer that instead of L of ASC verssus L of DSC.

Both Champion League games had red cards, so we are not the only ones having difficulties.

The Barcelona - Arsenal 3-1 chart was more radical than the Shakthar - Roma 3-0 game, because in the first match Jupiter, LHr, agrees with the powers of both the sign on the ascendant and the lady, Venus, ie. warm and moist. However, in the Shakthar game Venus, LHr, agreed with the moisture of Scorpio, only. Yet, Mars, L1, was in the sign of her (Venus) exaltation

The home team favourite won convincingly in both matches.

I would be happy if this is what that sort of radicality meant as long as we could sort it out; a) the favourite wins b) the home team wins or c) the favourite wins if playing at home.

Champions League

Schalke 04 - Valencia, 20.45 CST
Odds: 2,60 3,30 2,75
Asc 14LI26 MC 18CN56 Moon 12TA54 POF 8SG27
Day Mercury, Hour Mercury - radical by triplicity

There is no obvious favourite in this game. Saturn, L4, is fortified in the asc. in mr with Venus in the 4th. The Sun is in Pisces in an exact trine to the Sun. How are we for draws?

Tottenham - AC Milan, 19.45 GMT
Odds: 2,25 3,50 3,10
Asc 9LI20 MC 12CN10 Moon 12TA54 POF 3SG20
Day Mercury, Hour Venus - radical by sign
This is difficult. Radicality is good for the favouriite, yet Jupiter is hanging on the Descendant. I hate it when this happens. But as Ficina often pointed out, the latter angularity was often a testimony for the home team. Venus, LHr, in aspect with both Jupiter and the radical ascendant could make it easier. Since she rules the home team, I am giving it to Tottenham.

Total odds: 7,4:1