"In the ascendant" , do they mean the ASC sign or

Hello,

Can someone clarify this for me:

When someone says "in the ascendant", do they mean in the sign ascending (even if it's 12th or 2nd house) or the frist house ? I never understood that with Lilly, although if you use whole signs system it comes to the same thing, but say we don't, so what is it ?

AS for example now in another i just read "in the ascendant or MC", is that 1st and 10th house or signs from the cusps ?

Thanks

Hi, Jarac011!

You might notice that sometimes the authors use the construction "on the Ascendant" whilst, on other occasions, they say "in the Ascendant". Personally, I usually read the latter construction as "inside the 1st house" (or "inside the Ascendant house") and not necessarily conjunct the degree of the Ascendant. In certain literature, the 1st and the 10th houses are referred to as Ascendant and Midheaven houses, respectively, probably because the authors want to stress the importance of the placement of the planets in these, most powerful angles in every chart.
On the other hand, I understand "on the Ascendant/MC" as "conjunct the exact degree of the angle.

Naturally, the distance of the planet from the beginning of the angle will determine its actual accidental strength .

Cheers (pozdrav),

aglaya