Actually, the orbs are much wider for natal work in regard to the angles, about (conjunctions/oppositons)8-10 degrees, a little less for squares, and about 5-6 for trines, sextiles, softer aspects. the lesser aspects should always be used with smaller orbs say 1-3 degrees.

The idea is that the house begins five degrees before the cusp. Therefore if a planet is five degrees before the cusp it is in the house. So if 15 Capricorn is on the 5th cusp, the 5th house begins at 10 Capricorn. The cusp is the most sensitive point of the house.

If it works in horary it will work in natal, too.

Jarac011 wrote:Nice answer, thanks.
Since this is not the traditional forum, I'm going to be irreverent and ask the question: Why?

Please don't answer with "because such and so said so", unless "such and so" presented some reasoning for the idea.

- Ed

Ed F wrote:Since this is not the traditional forum, I'm going to be irreverent and ask the question: Why?

Please don't answer with "because such and so said so", unless "such and so" presented some reasoning for the idea.
Let me answer the question in the same irreverent manner :)

In my scenario, horary astrologers use the 5-degree rule because it's read in Lilly, and it works. Lilly used it because he read it in Bonatti, and it worked. (No matter he or one of his predecessors mistakenly started to use the word 'cusp', which would stand for 'house' simply, in the sense of dividing lines between houses.) Bonatti used it because he read it in al-Qab???, and it worked. (No matter he, comparing al-Qab???'s report with Ptolemy's original, mistakenly assumed this rule was to be applied to each house, yet it must be understood for the degree of the Ascendant only.) Al-Qab??? didn't use it because he didn't mean it, but he (as many others) may have thought, mistakenly again, that Ptolemy's description of longevity reflects his view on the house system to use.

So, if you want to have an answer, Ptolemy should be asked first why he introduced the 5-degree rule for the degree of the Ascendant in inquiries of life length, which is anyway a riddle. The others details are only scenes of a comedy of errors. However, as we all know, it works. :)

L.

There is no starting or stopping point for cusps, they begin, and end gradually.....they ebb and wane when approaching and leaving....just like everything else in nature, it's not exactly clear cut

BiBi_Anderson wrote:There is no starting or stopping point for cusps, they begin, and end gradually.....they ebb and wane when approaching and leaving....just like everything else in nature, it's not exactly clear cut
I totally agree. Especially, when one takes into account the fact that there are many different house systems.

I agree that the cusps are likely to have an influence of houses on either side of the line, although more so to the house with the cusp because that house will have a stronger pull. I have two planets that are cuspy in my own chart (Mercury and Moon) and I have had both interpretations given to me by other astrologers, but I relate more so to the house which holds the cusp point. Both are swift, direct though, and I often wonder how people with retrograde planets might experience this influence because it is as if the planet is attempting to move away from the house cusp. Might it equal out the two house influences or possibly pull it more so into the other house away from the cusp? That is only my logic speaking and I have no concrete evidence to back this up.