Solar Eclipse-4th of January 2011

As we have been discussing the forthcoming Lunar Eclipse near the Capricorn Ingress I thought we might also want to take a look at the next Solar eclipse which occurs on January 4th 2011. Its a partial eclipse which occurs zodiacally at 13? Capricorn 38' . The point of greatest eclipse is timed for 08:50:35 GMT

The eclipse will be visible over most of Europe, the Arabian peninsula, North Africa and Western Asia.
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEdecade/SEdecade2011.html

This eclipse belongs to Saros cycle 151. The series began with a partial eclipse in the northern hemisphere on August 14th 1776. The series will end with a partial eclipse in the southern hemisphere on 3056 Oct 01. The total duration of Saros series 151 is 1280.14 years. In summary:

First Eclipse = 1776 Aug 14 05:22:56 TD
Last Eclipse = 3056 Oct 01 13:33:09 TD

Duration of Saros 151 = 1280.14 Years

A note on the Saros Cycle.
The periodicity and recurrence of solar eclipses is governed by the Saros cycle, a period of approximately 6,585.3 days (18 years 11 days 8 hours). When two eclipses are separated by a period of one Saros, they share a very similar geometry. The two eclipses occur at the same node with the Moon at nearly the same distance from Earth and at the same time of year. Thus, the Saros is useful for organizing eclipses into families or series. Each series typically lasts 12 to 13 centuries and contains 70 or more eclipses. Every saros series begins with a number of partial eclipses near one of Earth's polar regions. The series will then produce several dozen central eclipses before ending with a group of partial eclipses near the opposite pole. (source NASA)

Observation of the Eclipse
The penumbral shadow first touches Earth's surface in northern Algeria at 06:40:11 GMT. As the shadow travels east, Western Europe will be treated to a partial eclipse at sunrise. The eclipse magnitude from European cities like Madrid (0.576), Paris (0.732), London (0.747), and Copenhagen (0.826) will give early morning risers an excellent opportunity to photograph the sunrise eclipse with interesting foreground scenery.

Greatest eclipse occurs at 08:50:35 GMT in northern Sweden where the eclipse in the horizon will have a magnitude of 0.858. At that time, the axis of the Moon's shadow will pass a mere 510 km above Earth's surface. Most of northern Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia also lie in the penumbra's path. The citizens of Cairo (0.551), Jerusalem (0.574), Istanbul (0.713), and Tehran (0.507) all witness a large magnitude partial eclipse.

A sunset eclipse will be visible from central Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia and northwest China. The partial eclipse ends when the penumbra leaves Earth at 11:00:54 GMT. (Source NASA).

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Great graphics Mark.

I've been looking at the forthcoming series of eclipses and noted that the Eclipse on July 1st is the birth of a new family of Eclipses, Saros Cycle 156.
The last new Saros cycle was formed on June 17th 1928.

I am assuming that there have been revisions to the times of the eclipse Saros Cycle births by NASA as they differ slightly from those listed in Bernadette Brady's list in Eagle and the Lark, published almost 20 years ago?

Looking through the NASA lists it would seem that the 'Royal family' eclipse series that has been detailed as due to end in 2036 has now been revised to end in 2054. (Saros 117 [2 Old North]).
The last Saros series that ended was on 22 July 1971 (Saros 116)

Regards
John

Great graphics Mark.
Thanks John. I would like to take the credit but it all goes to NASA. NASA do a great job on making eclipse information accessible to the public. The old saying of 'a picture speaks louder than a thousand words' was never more true.
I've been looking at the forthcoming series of eclipses and noted that the Eclipse on July 1st is the birth of a new family of Eclipses, Saros Cycle 156. The last new Saros cycle was formed on June 17th 1928.
Ah your a bit ahead of me there. :D I agree we should be looking this far ahead for forecasting next year.
I am assuming that there have been revisions to the times of the eclipse Saros Cycle births by NASA as they differ slightly from those listed in Bernadette Brady's list in Eagle and the Lark, published almost 20 years ago?
I hadn't noticed this. Thanks for pointing it out.
Looking through the NASA lists it would seem that the 'Royal family' eclipse series that has been detailed as due to end in 2036 has now been revised to end in 2054. (Saros 117 [2 Old North]). The last Saros series that ended was on 22 July 1971 (Saros 116)
An interesting point! Maybe Prince William and Kate Middleton are injecting a bit more life into the House of Windsor? :D

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

If you look at the graphics Mark provided, you might appreciate how the Earth is deprived of Sunlight just north of the Arctic Circle at this time of the year.

In Oslo at 60N I will be enjoying an 86% eclipse of the Solar disc. Further South, observation of the Moon will tend to place her further north in the Sky and less of the Sun will appear be darkened. The luninaries are 11 degrees distant the Moon's Northern Node, so the Moon is northward bound of the ecliptic - her highest northern latitude being when she has put 90 degrees between herself and the Dragon's Head. This will be in the early degrees of Aries. 8)
http://www.astronor.com

One national chart that really seems to be influenced by the solar eclipse is the United Kingdom (1927) chart.

It has the eclipse in the second house opposing Pluto by degree. Using Alcabitius houses the eclipse is exactly on the 2nd house cusp. :shock:
Another chart that appears strongly influenced by the eclipse is the USA chart for the 4th of July 1776. Irrespective of what rising sign we prefer the 4th of July Sun exactly opposes the solar eclipse.

http://www.aquasoul.com/US.html

The eclipse is also fairly close to an opposition to the Moon in the national chart for Spain (1975).

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/countries/spain.php