The Life & Work of Vettius Valens
by Deborah Houlding
Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill-An Environmental Disaster
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill-An Environmental Disaster Reply with quote

An oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico looks like it will move to the coast of several US states and create unprecedented damage to animal species and the environment. The scale of the disaster is anticipated to be significantly worse than the infamous Exxon Valdez Oil spill off the Alaskan coast in 1989.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8652686.stm

At present the worst affected US state looks like being Louisiana. The same state that took the brunt of hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The US government has designated the Gulf of Mexico oil spill as an "incident of national significance". Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told reporters that this move would allow resources to be ordered in from other areas of the US. The US military has joined efforts to stem oil leaking from the well beneath where a rig exploded and sank last week, as fears rise about its scale. The US Coast Guard says oil is expected to start washing ashore on Friday. Rear Admiral Mary Landry said 5,000 barrels a day - five times more than initially thought - were believed to be gushing into the sea off Louisiana.

Source BBC News website.

I have put up the Aries Ingress chart for USA. Note the retrograde Saturn on the IC and its ruler Venus being in detriment in Aries which squares the nodes. Mercury is the closest traditional planet to the chart MC as well as dispositor of the POF and Lord 12. Appropriate for a disaster caused by human involvement. In terms of modern planets Pluto forms in even tighter aspect by square to the MC.

Last edited by Mark on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
Tom

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The scale of the disaster is anticipated to be significantly worse than the infamous Exxon Valdez Oil spill off the Alaskan coast 1989.

If current estimates are correct the amount of oil spilled into the Gulf is about 1.5 million gallons. The estimated amount of oil spilled by the Exxon Valdez is about 11 million gallons. But my most recent readings indicate the safety valve which should have shut off the flow of oil still is not functional.

I cast the ingress chart for New Orleans because it was the first Louisiana city near the water that came to mind. And like Katrina Mississippi is also going to get hit and get a whole lot less publicity. The slick is 600 square miles in size. I would like the coordinates for the oil rig if anyone has them.

Casting the ingress chart for NO the MC changes to Pisces while the ASC remains in Cancer. Jupiter is in Pisces and of course is the exaltation ruler of Cancer. Lots of excess in this chart. Lee Lehman does not list "oil" in her book of rulerships probably because no one used crude oil for anything when the old astrolgoers were coming up with rulerships. Most authors give the Moon rulership of the sea in the traditional texts and Neptune that rulership in modern texts. Interestingly the Moon and Neptune were in a tight square at the time of the ingress. The Moon is on Algol and Robeson says Algol has a "dogged and violent nature" and causes misfortune.

Jupiter is associated with excess and rules not only the 10th but the 6th house of accidents. Mars (violence, accidents, explosions) is in mutual reception with the Sun. The Sun would be co-ruler of the 2nd house of natural resources using Regiomontanus cusps and Placidus as well. This is why I'd like to have the coordinates of the oil rig.

Most authors give Saturn rulership of things under the ground, muddy places, dark colors etc, so crude oil is a good candidate for Saturn's rulership. In its crude state depending on quality it is barely a liquid. It is closer to a gel. Crude oil is stored in heated tanks in order to keep it liquid so it can flow. Saturn in this chart as well is in the 4th house, exalted (excess) retrograde, disposited by a debilitated Venus, and opposed to the Sun. Since the Sun is in mutual reception and partile aspect to Mars (accidents), we should include him in any delineation of Saturn in this chart. Despite being in exaltation, Saturn appears to be debilitated.

The elements are working against the US coast line. The Coast Guard was planning on burning off as much oil as it could, but high winds make that too dangerous at this time. This isn't going to be pretty.

But is there hope in the chart? Venus, although in her detriment is conjunct the benefic fixed star Alpheratz and Robeson tells us it indicates a neat and tidy appearance. That doesn't sound like an oil spill but perhaps it indicates a result.

Jupiter is a double edged sword. Expansion is nice when it signifies our bank accounts. It is less than nice when it signifies our waistline. Jupiter is in Pisces, elevated, and unaspected. He is pure Jupiter in this chart. He is also conjunct the benefic fixed star Acherner. "It is symbolized as the Cherub and Sword and gives success in public office, beneficence and religion." - Robeson

The 10th is the government and in this case, since the chart is cast for a city in Louisiana, I would argue it means the state or perhaps local government. In either case or both, it is a good situation for those in power. Let them use it wisely.
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lee Lehman does not list "oil" in her book of rulerships probably because no one used crude oil for anything when the old astrolgoers were coming up with rulerships.

Hi Tom

Lilly puts oil under the rulership of Jupiter in CA p.354. I'm pretty sure we find that in older sources too, but I have that reference handy.

Thanks for the chart and analysis.

Deb
Tom

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deb,

Thanks Deb. I found it. Jupiter seems to work as a significator for crude oil in this chart better than Saturn does.

Tom
GR

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People might be interested in this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_petroleum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tom,

I certainly hope you are right that this is not as serious as the Exxon Valdez spill. Of course one reason for that being so bad was its distance from the continental USA and the much slower response to it. The fact that President Barack Obama has pledged "every single available resource" to help is encouraging.

I have put up the Aries Ingress chart you have delineated located on New Orleans. Thanks for the analysis. Thumbs up

I have also put up the Aries Ingress chart located for the state capital of Louisiana which is Baton Rouge. As one might expect its not that different from the first chart although it does move Jupiter a tad closer to the MC placing it in the 10th house by the 5 degree rule.

Mark

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I omitted to mention in my original post that that the origin of the oil spill was the explosion and fire on the DeepWater Horizon Oil platform licensed by British Petroleum. Eleven oil workers were killed in the accident.

News reports put the time of the explosion to approximately 22:00 local time on Tuesday April 20th.

http://www.oilpubs.com/oso/article.asp?v1=9447

http://news.globaltv.com/world/Coast+Guard+suspends+search+workers/2943041/story.html

The location of the platform was Latitude 28° 44.20' North .Longitude 88° 23.23' West

http://www.nbc-2.com/Global/story.asp?S=12405142

Here is the event chart:

The chart is only approximate and I suspect the time was a few minutes earlier putting the malefic fixed star Acrab (aka Graffias) on the ascendant around 3'20 Sagittarius.

Update: This assumption was later confirmed when the exact time of the event was confirmed in late May as 09.53PM. This put the ASC degree to 3.50 Sagittarius within half a degree of the fixed star Acrab (Graffias). http://www.cnbc.com/id/37363194 The updated chart is displayed later in the thread.
However, event charts need context. Going back to the Aries Ingress charts for Baton Rouge or New Orleans discussed earlier we can compare the event chart to these.

Note the transiting exaltation ruler of the Ingress chart MC (Venus) conjunct the ascendant ruler (Moon) in the Ingress chart 12th house. From a traditional perspective both are close to the fixed star Algol. The Moon is the natural significator for sailors , fishermen and affairs related to the sea. The Moon is both Lord 8 and located in the 8th house of death in the event chart. The transiting Moon in the event chart falls in the second house of resources in the Ingress chart. The Moon disposits the South Node in the event chart.

Last edited by Mark on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tom

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the coordinates for the oil rig and cast the Aries Ingress. It is virtually the same as the Aries Ingress for New Orleans. However with Regio cusps, 0 Leo is on the 2nd house of resources and Mars is on the cusp.

This is BP's second major accident on US soil. They had a pipeline burst in Alaska I think a couple of years ago. I'm beginning to think Jupiter represents BP in these charts as it is in the 9th house of foreign affairs or companies. Strictly speaking I'm not sure that is exactly true. BP (British Petroleum) merged (bought?) AMOCO (American Oil Company) a few years back, so perhaps they aren't all that foreign any longer. Still it is worth a thought.
unique_astrology

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have deleted this post as I had used a wrong anlunar chart. The correct chart and comments are posted further down in the thread.

Bob

Last edited by unique_astrology on Sun May 02, 2010 4:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Mark

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The data for BP Oil is from Kepler's data bank.

What data are you relying on? What is the basis of the 1962 data you are displaying above?

I was about to put up a noon chart for the date of the original company incorporation from which BP dates ie 14th of April 1909 located for London, England. On 14 April 1909, the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC) was incorporated to exploit oil reserves in Persia (Iran). In 1935 the company was renamed Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. The company was renamed again in 1954 as British Petroleum. In 2000 there was a corporate merger of BP with Amoco, and ARCO and the new merged company was called BP Amaco. From May 2008 the company reverted to the name of just British Petroleum for most of its operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/149259.stm

Quote:
I used 9 pm, CDT as trouble may have started before 10 pm.

I agree the media reports are only approximate on timing. However, an hour difference from the reported time seems a bit too much to me. Still, in the absence of a definitive time I suppose this kind of chart is wide open to astrological speculation.

Thanks

Mark
Mark

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the chart (untimed) for the original incorporation of the company. Following this is a biwheel with the BP foundation chart in the inner wheel and secondary progressions in the outer wheel. Both charts are located for London, the corporate headquaters of British Petroleum. The SP's are timed for the time of the Deepwater Horizon explosion relocated to London. Due to the untimed radical chart these are only an approximation.

The secondary progressed Moon seems to be opposing the radical BP Sun /Venus while the SP Sun seems to be opposing the radical BP Moon. The SP Saturn is now conjunct the radical BP Sun. In addition the SP Venus is square the radical BP POF and SP Mercury is square the radical BP Venus.

Steve

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to Mark Reply with quote

Pertaining to British Petroleum’s 1909 incorporation chart Mark wrote:

Quote:
“The SP (secondary progressed) Saturn is now conjunct the radical BP Sun.”

Mark, this is most interesting from a dynamic astrological symbolic standpoint. I live in the gulf coast region and my best friend is a restaurant (beach side café) owner. He told me all beach side business are looking at a good possibility of having to close their business, for their key summer season, when the oil arrives on their beaches. Two days ago my friend joined many other multiple business owners (just in this one local beach area) drawing-up (possible) law suit papers by a huge law firm to file class action suits against BP—if they lose their key-business summer season. The same would be happening over a four state (beach side region.) Can you imaged what $ losses this would represent for BP. Just the oil spill itself is a significant Saturian-Sun event for BP—but the possible $ losses from law suits could be staggering! The lawyers are going to have a field day! This could turn out to be the largest group class action law suit in history! My friend told me it would probably be 10-15 years before the legal system would settle these class action suits—however one lawyer from the firm said they are going to ask the US federal government to intervene for rapid payment by BP to the coastal business owners, if significant losses occur for coastal business owners. Just the fishing industry losses would be huge! If this rapid payment intervention works, what better symbolism than SP BP’S Saturn being conjunct BP’S 1909 Sun incorporation chart.

Regards, Steve
With all our modern knowledge and scientific equipment, and with the the great strides made in mathematics, we astrologers have done nothing to even remotely compare with the achievements of the astrologers of antiquity. Cyril Fagan
unique_astrology

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all welcome to the U.S. Coast Guard map information.

Map showing site of oil rig can be seen at this link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uscgd8/4551845001/sizes/o/

Here is the portion that shows the location.

Prog demi-solar anlunar for the event using 10 pm, CDT. I hadn't noticed that this chart had come in before the incident. The data for BP Oil is from Kepler's data bank. RR XX. Using this data and a noon chart for April 14, 1909 yields the following connections for the site of the incident.

The western square to the progressed anlunar MC is 275°52'. Return Pluto is 275°38'.

The MC of the progressed anlunar is 5°52'. The IC 185°52'. XX natal Uranus/Neptune midpoint 184°39'.

The Zenith of the progressed anlunar is 18°52'. XX progressed Mars/Saturn midpoint is 18°30'. 1909 BP Sun/Saturn midpoint is 18°08'. BP Sun/Mercury midpoint is 18°39'.

Bob

PS In explanation of the many errors in my work I will disclose that I am dealing with very painful, debilitating, back problems and my girlfriend has had to be taken to the emergency room 3 times in the last 4 weeks. Both situations have affected my focus during this time.

Last edited by unique_astrology on Sun May 02, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,
The reference is in the middle of page 354, under Jupiter, but in the facsimile edition it is spelt 'oyle'. I think your sense of what was intended by the word is correct - originally mineral oils and natural extractions for various uses, like oil for lamps. I don't disagree with anything you say, and yet personally I don't have a problem connecting the original word meaning meaning to the substance we think of, which comes out of oil-wells, either. Its an oily substance and an extraction from the earth, and there is obviously some historically recognised similiarity of principle for it to receive the same name. I think it is quite fitting that oil, like honey, comes under the signification of Jupiter. These 'essences' are precious, in just the same way that 'essential oils' are precious -- all of these things seem reflective of wealth. At the moment Saturn doesn't seem right to me. Then again, I used to accept the modern association of Neptune over oil - now I can't imagine why I once thought that was very appropriate.

Regards
Deb
RegulusAstrology

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a couple of observations

Significators for oil

Within fossil fuels, coal appears the best Saturn-signified product because its rock-like appearance fits compression associated with Saturn. It is of course black, Saturn's color, as is oil. One of the differences between oil and coal is that oil has missed some amount of geological compression relative to that received by coal. So oil is less 'dry' than coal, this lessens the argument for oil as a Saturn-ruled commodity to some degree.

In some part of America, oil is known as 'black gold' which may have entered the American consciousness through an old sitcom 'The Beverly Hillbillies' whose intro song included 'black gold' as well as 'Texas tea' as oil descriptors. Both of these names might offer clues on solving the puzzle.

So far, I have found the sign of Taurus to work well as a significator for oil. It started about five years ago when I researched the horoscope of Red Adair, the legendary fighter of oil well fires. In this chart, Capricorn rises with Mars/Taurus in the 4th (QS) of things buried. In this speculative rectification (my own, no birth time known), I found Red Adair's largest oil well fires were timed by directions of Mars to the angles:

I also considered the rise of the U.S. oil industry in the context of the last three Jupiter-Saturn conjunctions in Taurus. In a separate post on the Jupiter-Saturn opposition thread, I mention that placement of the JSC degrees in particular Egyptian bounds helped to further refine historical trends for the relevant 20 year period:

1880s JSC Taurus. bound = Venus/Taurus. Rise of corporations, Standard Oil a prime example, Sherman Anti-trust Act of 1890 an 'anti-thesis' action.

1940s JSC Taurus. bound = Jupiter/Taurus & Mercury/Taurus. Role of oil dispute with Japan as a trigger for Pearl Harbor; dominance of American corporations (and US oil industry in particular) following WWII.

2000s JSC Taurus. bound = Saturn/Taurus. 'Peak Oil' the new fear of energy scarcity. Concern on Saudi Arabian oil reserves as motivator for securing new energy supplies; Pipelines between Russia/Eastern Europe and proposed pipelines through Afghanistan major poker chips in geopolitical power plays.

Anyway, these are my own observations which do suggest the importance of Taurus to this incident (three planets - Sun, Mercury, Venus.) Some more on this in the next post.

Last edited by RegulusAstrology on Sun May 02, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Mundane & Financial Astrology All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: