Yuzuru, there is nothing of that sort in this volume, trust me! :wink:

The authors state that they, like most of us, were initially trained in other approaches - but that is the last substantial mention of modern techniques in this book. They do not denigrate other methods, but they absolutely do not teach them in this volume. Avelar and Ribeiro became serious students of Robert Zoller, and their primary references are strictly traditional (Lilly, Ptolemy, Ibn Ezra, Al-Biruni, Dorotheus of Sidon, Firmicus Maternus). I'm halfway through the book, having decided to read it from cover-to-cover instead of picking and choosing, and so far I'm finding it an excellent general traditional text.

Good to hear, Astraea. I'm going to have to wait a couple of months to buy it, but on the upside, Ben's Introduction to Traditional Astrology arrived yesterday - this time it didn't even have to go back and forth by international post four times! I should write and let him know - he was so good about it the last time he sent books.

Yuzuru, my awful confession: my first astrology books were Margaret Hone's Modern Textbook of Astrology (recently reprinted, and I think it was Margaret who came up with mother is represented by the 4th house, father is 10th), and Llewellyn's A-Z Horoscope Maker and Delineator - the latter of which I still have my copy of - the 1965 edition.

Ow ;)

I've just ordered a copy of this book.

As a modern astrologer, fortunately among the first books I bought in the early 1990s were by Robert Hand: Planets in Youth, Planets in Composite, &c. They gave me faith that thoughtful people could have intelligent things to say about astrology.

Tom wrote: I suppose that I should buy this one see for myself. I like the enthusiastic reviews.
Hello,

I'd like to take the chance of also reviewing this book here - "On the Heavenly Spheres", by Luis Ribeiro and Helena Avelar.

First of all, I must mention that this was the book (the portuguese original version) that is the responsible for me to start learning astrology more seriously. I come from computer science and engineering areas (currently PhD student), and so I never studied modern astrology because it never made enough sense to me, and I don't like to memorize things.
So, my entry point in astrology was horary, because it has rules, and the rules follow the same kind of patterns and sequences, so it is logical for me. In 2007, I saw this book in the bookstores and started to read it, and all the things started making even more sense to me, because Luis and Helena were carefull to put the things in different/logical places, and detail sufficiently each one of those things.

Now, for the book, I've still hadn't access to the English version, but I believe is an extension of the Portuguese one, so I can talk a little about that version. It is a book targeted for "real" beginners as well for students who are still not at ease reading the older texts, and as I said previously, the subjects are well placed and follows a logical flow, from the wider point of view to the particular.

It starts by presenting what is Astrology from a practical point of view, as well as the different variations that there is in the tradition, and history.

Then procedes to talk about the ptolomaic model, which in fact is behind the simbology of many things, like the elements. It presents the elements as they come from the ptolomaic model like, for instance, the moon is humid because is closer to earth (in the ptolomaic model), or saturn is cold because is further from earth. Then procedes to temperaments, talking about each combination.

Then talks about the different kind of astrology charts, following a timeline from antique egyptian charts to modern ones.

Then procedes to planets, talking about their symbology, always integrating their explanation with the ptolomaic model (like moon being humid by being closer to earth, but detailing it very much).

And then talks about the signs, again refering to the ptolomaic model, and knowing the temperaments of the planets, how do they express themselves in the signs. Like, for instance, a humid planet in a dry sign, loses its capacity of adaptation (my example). Again, it doesn't give the recipe, only the logical way of relating concepts.

It then procedes to talk about the essential dignities (again relating to the ptolomaic model) of the planets. Things like why does Saturn rule the colder signs (in northern hemisphere) are carefully detailed. Also, Lilly's weighting system of dignities is presented in a tabular form, which permits for beginners to have a point of start. Examples in this chapter are given, just like a school book.

The next chapter is about houses, how they are defined, and the logic here (at least for now memorizing things) is that the subjects of the house and of the oposing house are related by oposing subjects. This is the message that I've taken out of this chapter, because i try not to memorize the things. Of course, it details everything a beginner should know.

The following chapter is about the aspects, their interpretation and how they are derived. It also talks about orbs, and movements such as application or separation, concepts essential to horary astrology. It also talks about the friendly/unfriendly planets, and how to interpret their relations in the context of everything that was mentioned before.

Then, it starts to get into bigger details about the conditions of the planets, i.e., acidental dignities. Presents a logical flow to the relations of the planets with the sun, talks about the combustion (conjunction of the sun) which they consider very significant and give practical examples. Also, the relation of the planets with the moon is presented.

New last chapters are about fixed stars and arabic parts and how to integrate them with the previous information. Then it has several appendixes, of interesting information, like the protocol of temperament (which I've implemented on my software, see the http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5955), among others.

This is a short review, just to let people know about the contents of this book, which was a trigger for my deeper understanding of astrology, in particular, traditional. Again, I believe that it is a very good book for beginners and for the not-so-beginners, because all the information flows in a logic way, and with contemporary concepts.

Happy readings,
Jo?o Ventura

You do have a wonderful collection, Todd, and I have taken advantage of it!

What we're looking for is books that a beginning astrologer (one just learning planets, signs, houses, aspects) could learn traditional astrology from first, without having to learn modern astrology and then unlearn half of it to learn traditional.

I think we're finally starting to get there.

I haven't heard these yet (I'm broke), but Ben Dykes has yet another series of audio lectures on traditional astrology - this time explaining traditional astrology itself more than the philosophies that it's based on.

http://bendykes.com/audio/astrologylectures.php

I wish to add my thanks to Todd for his generosity. I've long wanted to read Luke Broughton's Planetary Reader, a mid 19th century periodical edited by the father of American astrology. It is included in Todd's list and it can be downloaded. It is fascinating or at least it is to me.

Naturally enough Broughton highlighted the candidates for the US Presidency in the 1860 election and as astrologers have done ever since, he picked the wrong guy to win. He advised his readers that Abe Lincoln was a nice guy, not of stellar intelligence but adequate and that he would not go far in this election. Instead the next President would be Stephen A. Douglas. If the non Americans are running to their history texts to read about Mr. Douglas' administration, don't bother.

I'll put something together on this and either post it here or in the mundane section depending on how it plays out.

Thanks again Todd.

Olivia wrote: I haven't heard these yet (I'm broke), but Ben Dykes has yet another series of audio lectures on traditional astrology - this time explaining traditional astrology itself more than the philosophies that it's based on.

http://bendykes.com/audio/astrologylectures.php
I've picked up a few of the lectures, they are very good; only caveat is that they are done at a conference and so he's often pressed for time.
Gabe

Firmicus Maternus

Matheseos Libri VIII by Firmicus Maternus

As a newcomer to classical astrology, this is the first book that I felt comfortable with after reading some of CA and grasping about a third of it.

At first, the techniques felt foreign to me. I understood sect, but struggled with the way a planet's meaning changed in a house if it was aspected to another planet, or another planet with a waning or waxing Moon, or another planet on one of the angles. It seemed like there were so many things to look for just to understand a single interpretation.

But I stuck with it, and the accuracy is wonderful, even after 1650+ years.

There are eight books. The third book is invaluable. After a while, I got a lot out of the fourth and fifth books as well.

This book is reasonably priced on amazon. Here is the link...

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Astrology ... 578&sr=1-1[/url]
All I know is that if my birth chart was a horary, the answer would be "No".

My Blog: http://slushpileastrology.blogspot.com/

Suggested Books

An underlying factor around the higher cost of Astrology books is the limited market - mostly sought out by the Astrological community. A print run would be no where the volume set up of a paper back best seller.

I have J. Lee Lehman's two books mentioned here - I can understand her work more easily than others. I believe we often 'need' to grow into our books.

Julie K

Still about the book list for traditional astrology, I would like to add the following:

- Book on Astronomy, by Guido Bonatti, translated by Benjamin Dykes, The Cazimi Press 2007. A major source for medieval astrology. Ben Dykes? introduction and footnotes are valuable.

- And, I do agree, On the Heavenly Spheres is a ?must-have? book for both the traditional astrology student or researcher and the contemporary practitioner. The book covers all the basic knowledge beneath the Hellenistic and the medieval traditions.