Thanks for the heads-up on Avelar and Ribiero, Olivia. When you say you're still looking for a primer as opposed to a bridge book from modern astrology, do you mean that On the Heavenly Spheres is essentially the latter?

Since I haven't read it yet, I don't know. What I do know is that a lot of people are asking me for a primer that starts with traditional astrology that they can understand.

Even in translation, the 'language barrier' is too much for most folks to get through with original source materials, at least as first books, and I've yet to find anything written in modern English that starts with a traditional basis. Everything I've seen for beginners' books so far goes with the 'alphabetical zodiac' - Aries is Mars is the first house, and so forth.

I have had a brief look at On the Heavenly Spheres and have ordered a copy by mail order.

It does indeed appear to be a primer in Medieval natal and horary astrology and if it proves to be a good read then one may now study the art without learning modern astrology first and without squinting at pdf facsimiles of Lilly, Dariot and Gadbury.

In view of the interest shown I can always offer my opinion later as to whether it should go on our booklist.

Regards

Matthew

Given that Ptolemy's tetrabiblos is must read and that is the book that
western astrology is largely based on, it would be superflous to speak of its importance. What I want to say is that Ptolemy's book is important
but also perplex. It was very hard to digest and still
some information in that book remains esoteric especially, when
his opinion dissent for others. For example, he explains decan not in terms
of degrees of zodiac but rather in terms of aspect to the luminaries.
This book and any other books written by authors before Morine, needs
some guidance and companion materials whether printed or digital to
digest.. at least that was true for me.

My recommanded reading materials for the begginers would be
start reading contemporary traditional astrologers such as lee lehman,
robert zollar, robert hands, john frawely, deborah holding, benaddet bredy,
etc. Contemporary authors explain difficult concepts and render complex mateirals digestable and eluminating.

To understand tetrabiblos, I relied on Opus Reformatum by John partridge..
Sincerely

Jun

Matt, thank you. I'm on a tight budget and it's pricey here, but if it's worth it, I'll definitely grab a copy. So yes - please let us know your thoughts when you've read it!

Junibus, I agree that it's probably best to start with Deb, John Frawley, Lee Lehman, etc., if you already know some astrology.

What I'm looking for is a book for people who don't even know all the signs and planets yet - people who are just now starting out.

Even still, I wouldn't have minded a start from the beginning primer when I was switching over.

Olivia wrote:

What I'm looking for is a book for people who don't even know all the signs and planets yet - people who are just now starting out.
Maybe Joseph Crane Hellenistic Legacy?

http://www.amazon.com/Astrological-Root ... 1902405242

It's a very good introduction and in very simple words, maybe too simple if I should find a bug-but maybe because I read it after Bezza's introduction to Tetrabiblos, who has his peculiar way to write.

Anyway Crane's book is perfect for astrology first aid, I would recommend.

margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

I didn't think it would be that great for beginners, myself, Margherita. Lots of technique, but not enough explanation to go with it.

Both of Crane's books were kind of like that - it's as if he was trying to fit too much into the allotted space. Maybe it's just me, I'm not sure.

Not to say that they're bad, just not what I'd throw at someone to start.

Frawley's The Real Astrology is wonderful for an overview and a bit of history from then until now, and I definitely recommend it early on, but that one doesn't teach the practical how-to.

Maybe Crane and Frawley read together?

Let's see what Helena and Luis have come up with, as well.

Thanks for the heads-up on Avelar and Ribiero, Olivia
Thanks from me too! I had missed this one. Just ordered it. :'
I didn't think it would be that great for beginners, myself, Margherita. Lots of technique, but not enough explanation to go with it.
I would agree that Joseph Crane's book: Astrological Roots: The Hellenistic Legacy, is not an ideal beginners book. The large number of techniques discussed is likely to overwhelm many. Although I dont entirely agree there is insufficient discussion of the techniques described. Crane explains all the different techniques with several example charts. The problem is rather that there is no real discusssion of how to combine all the numerous techniques explained as an integrated delineation. Something Crane might consider for a revised second edition if space permits. It comes over rather like an advanced High School textbook at times. Still, for intermediate or more advanced students the book is excellent and pulls together ideas from a variety of hellenistic sources. Despite its limitations its one of my favourite astrology books at present.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Well I now have a copy of Avelar and Ribiero's "On the Heavenly Spheres"

With 278 full size pages there is a lot here. After an introduction and a history the book gives lists of planetary, sign and house meanings,elements and qualities. A range of other subjects are covered like latitude and inferior conjunctions among many.

They have kept up to date with some of the Hellenistic research and have made a table of essential and accidental dignities that includes Hayz.

Temperament calculations and planetary strength charts are given together with their use in some example charts.

There are lots of useful diagrams illustrating phase,moeties,aspects and so on but a few of them could do with being a little clearer.

Extensive footnotes are not included and it is emphatically not a cookbook. Readers are encouraged to fully understand the symbolism and interpret planets and houses for themselves.

The chapter on lots gives the calculations, advice on how to delineate them followed by a warning about using modern software. This is an example of how useful an up-to-date book on traditional astrology can be.

For the beginner who wants a modern english guide to the tradition this book provides plenty of good instruction and facts.

The more experienced might prefer looking at the translations of older texts but might well find some of the practical stuff helpful.

I have been looking forward to reading this for some time and am pleased to see the authors' work in book form.

Matthew

Thank you, Matthew - I really appreciate your review. So I take it I won't go far amiss recommending this one to people who are just starting?

I'll get a copy in another month or two, when the budget permits, but it does look like it might be what's needed.

Agree with Matt23z - I couldn't resist ordering it the other day, and I think it might be just the book you're looking for, Olivia. It serves as a genuine primer of traditional astrology, but with sufficient depth and range to be used as a reference by seasoned traditional astrologers. It is not a bridge to modern astrology, and the authors state clearly that the outer planets, asteroids, hypotheticals form no part of traditional interpretation. The diagrams and explanations are excellent. It is beautifully organized, building steadily from first principles, so that an absolute beginner can use it as a primary text. The book has some typos and it needs an index, but apart from that it is exactly what we've been needing (in my opinion).