Chiron

Do you use Chiron in horoscope interpretations? If so, how?

Chiron, a planetoid discovered in 1977 between Mars and Jupiter, was named for a centaur who was a wise physician and tutor. The "wounded healer" interpretation of Chiron comes from a narrative in which Chiron became injured by dropping a poisoned arrow on his foot, which he could not heal, even though he concocted the poison to begin with.

While naming a heavenly body discovered in our time and expecting it automatically to behave in our lives according to an ancient myth may seem dubious, astrology has a long tradition of using myths about planets' namesake gods to say something about how they function in human affairs. For example, anciently Mars was the god of war.

I used to ignore Chiron pretty much until a few years ago when I broke my ankle while hiking. I couldn't see a transit or progression of the "majors" that corresponded with it, but I noted that transiting Chiron (wounding) conjuncted my natal Mercury (walking) in Aquarius (ankles.) The ankle took forever to heal and never set quite straight. A few months later Chiron conjuncted my natal Venus (opposed to my natal moon, both influenciing the breasts) and I had kind of a botched biopsy. (Gentlemen, don't ask!) I no longer recall the exact dates and times so I can't post the charts and ask traditional astrologers to suggest another explanation. But I did start to take Chiron seriously.

My take on Chiron is that it can indicate literal wounding, just as much as hurt feelings. These are not skinned knees or momentary pouts, but wounds that stay with us. However, if we choose to learn and grow from such reverses in life, we can gain in wisdom and compassion. We expect that bad things will happen to us in life, but if we opt out of bitterness and self-pity, we can become compassionate towards others in our predicament and hopefully be of help to them. So I see Chiron in a far more down-to-earth, sociable way than the esoteric astrologers' view of Chiron as prefiguring shamanism or cosmic healing.

I am unaware of research on Chiron sufficient to argue for specific rulerships, exaltations, and the like. I think this kind of work requires more than simple affinities. For example, Virgo has been proposed because of the health/hygiene connection, but I don't find her a particularly good match, due to Virgo's other rulerships that have little to do with the Chiron narratives.

Some sources on Chiron in my collection (though I am not specifically recommending them) are Richard Nolle, Chiron; Melanie Reinhart, Chiron and the Healing Journey, and Barbara Hand Clow, Chiron: Rainbow Bridge Between the Inner & Outer Planets.)

I hope to read your experiences and opinions!

I find Chiron to be very relevant. I follow the explanations of Chiron published by The Magi Society as they seem to have the best 'proof'.

Many on here 'diss' 'The Magi Society' as stuck-up and intransigent, but I find their info to be spot on.

You don't mention what Chiron is affecting in your natal chart, which will be very important.
My Chiron is square my Venus and I have a lot of trouble with close relationships.

I'm a Taurus and whenever Venus and Saturn meet up or angle each other I get or feel sick. i've had several busted ankles in my life but that's more to do with being Aquarius rising.

I feel Chiron is more related to Libra, even if you follow the "wounded healer' meaning, relationships are the things that make or break us in body and soul.

Please tell us Chiron's situation in your natal chart.

Also, note that Libra is the only (upper/collective)sign to still share it's ruler, as Taurus is ruled by Venus as well.
Scorpio, Pisces and Aquarius have been given their 'own' planet, and Cap, Sag have taken full control of Jupiter and Saturn.

I think Chiron is the perfect influence to take of Libra.

Thanks, masyn!

Ihave Chiron in Sagittarius in the 3rd house (Placidus). It squares Saturn in the 12th, but sextliles Venus and Mercury in Aquarius in the 5th. I've associated it with a usually cordial but cool--and occasionally hurtful--relationship with my siblings that has, I hope, strengthened a Chironic sense of "live and let live"; but there is no doubt more to it. Rex E. Bills, The Rulership Book also gives walking, thinking, and communicating as 3rd house matters.