Comet 103P/Hartley 2 (2010)

There?s a new comet. Rather than interpreting it astrologically, I intend to catch it in the sky and I won?t have the time to discuss the comet myself, but I thought I?d mention it anyway for those who are interested in comets, whether astrologically or astronomically.

Even for people at higher northern latitudes (ca. 55?) the comet reaches the zenith. The magnitude will be brighter than m5 from now till half November with a maximum of m4 in second half of October. However since the comet is rather diffuse, about the size of the Moon, it will be difficult to find the fuzzy ?splodge? without optical aid. It reminds me of that other diffuse comet a few years ago, I believe it was comet Holmes in autumn 2007 which was in the same area of the sky.

Here are some maps to trace the comet:
http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0103P/2010.html

Good luck in finding it.

I intend to catch it in the sky
You are superman and I claim my $10 :lol:
"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper" Eden Phillpotts

I thought I?d mention it anyway for those who are interested in comets, whether astrologically or astronomically.
Thanks Eddy,

Well I am interested in both for sure. However, I have been let down by a few recent visitors that promised much and delivered very little visually. :( . As far as I am concerned a comet that is not naked eye visible is not of astrological significance. Unless of course its one hurtling towards the earth without warning!
Even for people at higher northern latitudes (ca. 55?) the comet reaches the zenith. The magnitude will be brighter than m5 from now till half November with a maximum of m4 in second half of October. However since the comet is rather diffuse, about the size of the Moon, it will be difficult to find the fuzzy ?splodge? without optical aid. It reminds me of that other diffuse comet a few years ago, I believe it was comet Holmes in autumn 2007 which was in the same area of the sky.
Yes Holmes was quite exceptional after it exploded in magnitude in October 2007. I dont think this is anything as dramatic or likey to be as bright. Still magnitude 4 is not bad if it delivers that. Although if its as diffuse as you suggest it may be more of a challenge for observers.
Here are some maps to trace the comet:
http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0103P/2010.html
Thanks
Good luck in finding it.
Yes based on my recent luck I will need it! :D

From Gary Kronk's Cometography website:
Periodic comet 103P/Hartley 2 is classed as a young, dwarf comet, with a nucleus roughly 1.14 kilometers across. It belongs to the Jupiter family of comets (comets with periods less than 20 years). The comet was discovered in 1986. Although it then had an orbital period of 6.3 years, an analysis of its orbit reveals the period had been longer in the recent past. During the early decades of the 20th century, the orbital period had been 9.3 years. A close approach to Jupiter in August 1947 (0.22 AU) reduced the period to 7.9 years, while another close approach during April 1971 (0.09 AU) reduced the period to 6.1 years. The comet has been seen at every return since its discovery. The 2010 return is exceptional, as the comet will pass 0.12 AU from Earth on October 20. The Deep Impact space craft will pass about 1000 kilometers from the comet on November 4.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

However, I have been let down by a few recent visitors that promised much and delivered very little visually
That's often the problem with astronomical objects such like comets, galaxies and nebulae, Mark. Especially the visibility of nebulous objects is strongly disturbed by light pollution, much more than planets and stars are. We have also been spoilt by photography since the light collecting ability of photographic film makes it possible to make the invisible visible, a thing the eye will never be able to. Since I read about the comet last week, I've only seen clouds in the sky at my place. I've been spoilt by the weather circumstances of Southern France this Summer :? .

In August/September during 5 weeks I was in Provence Margherita.
Avignon, Mont-Ventoux, Gap, mountains and countryside etc. Instead of comet tails I could see the whole tail of the Scorpio and here in the Netherlands you cannot see the tail in its entirety.

Now I'm mainly in my study books and very busy. And to be honest I've put astrology in the freezer for a while. Often I've noticed that when I do a bit astrology I can't think of anything else anymore. I felt I had to take a distance of the subject, and not practise it, at least for a while. Hence I'm not so much at the forum lately.

But I didn't put my astronomy interests in the freezer, so I read about this comet and thought people here would like to hear there's a comet around. Yesterday night I had good weather and looked for the comet but I couldn't find it. My astronomy annual usually is printed in september the previous year so let's say the orbit may have not been precisely drawn. Otherwise I should doubt the sky, the light pollution, my eyes, my binoculars or my mind :shock: .

Now I'm mainly in my study books and very busy. And to be honest I've put astrology in the freezer for a while. Often I've noticed that when I do a bit astrology I can't think of anything else anymore. I felt I had to take a distance of the subject, and not practise it, at least for a while. Hence I'm not so much at the forum lately.
Fair enough Eddy. Your contributions are always most interesting and valuable here but I am sure we can all appreciate the need to balance astrology within overall life priorities. I certainly agree astrology can be highly compulsive at times. :shock: I do hope you return to us more regularly when your studies are completed. Until then any 'drive by' observations are most welcome. :'

Take care

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly