1. William Lilly: Christian Astrology (Deb Houlding's version)
2. John Frawley: The Real Astrology
3. John Frawley: The Horary Textbook
4. Bonatti: The Astrologer's Guide
5. Ebertin: The Combination of Stellar Influences

Have been working on a study of the Ruler of the Chart, comparing Porphyry's method to Ibn Ezra's.

1. James Hillman. The Soul's Code: In Search of Character and Calling. not an astrology book per se but the work of a contemporary Platonist who takes assignment of the Greek daimon prior to birth as a point of departure for a rewrite of modern psychology. Going through a good dozen or so of his examples ranging from the singer/actress Judy Garland to the bullfighter Manolete.

2/3. Rhetorius & Porphyry. trans. Holden.

4. Maternus. trans Bram.

5. On the Judgement of Nativities Part 2. Montulmo. trans. Hand
Dr. H.
World Class Research in Medieval Predictive Astrology
www.regulus-astrology.com

I am not trying to provoke friendly Luddites over here :-), but the order of closeness is:

1) Attached to my PC is an open e-book reader with open JULIUS FIRMICUS MATERNUS ?OF THEMA MUNDI?, being dissected at the moment,
2) which is below supported by PAULUS ALEXADRIUS AND OLYMPIODORUS (Greenbaum translation) where I am using as a bookmark RHETORIUS THE EGYPTIAN (Holden translation)
3) on my left is A HISTORY OF HOROSCOPIC ASTROLOGY by J.H. Holden,
4) below that is ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ASTROLOGY by Nicholas de Vore, and
5) the next closest set consist of 11 books, however, the first one from the left to right is ENCYCLOPEDIE ZAPADNI ASTROLOGIE (ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WESTERN ASTROLOGY) by Milan Spurek (in Czech).

I really did not mean to cheat with No. 2! :-) There is a total of 24 astrology books on my desk, but I took whatever is closer to my PC, to get some sense out of it.

Paul

Valens Anthology; most of what Ben Dykes published so far (+ some Bonatti reprints); Holden's Rhethorius (am expecting Porphyry soon); and even if I am not a horary astrologer Lilly is a must.

On my desk (lots of the time): The Horary Textbook, J. Frawley
Closest in reach (on the bookshelf right behind me, at eye level when sitting):
- William Lilly's C.A. (I-II and III)
- Classical Medical Astrology by Oscar Hofmann (dutch edition)
- Der Geburtsherscher im Horoscop, by Bernhard Bergbauer
- The fixed stars and constellations, V. Robson

That is the literal approach.
I am not too lazy though to lift my butt and grab for Ben Dykes translated works, Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos and Dorotheus of Sidon's Carmen, which are together with some books on medieval (astrological or not) healing, which are at head level when standing!
Herman

http://www.hervaro.be

Astrology books kept handy

Here are some (not all.... I'm here at work) of my old/new standbys, in no particular order
1) The Astrology of Fate Liz Greene
2) The Eagle and the Lark Bernadette Brady
3) Dr. H/Regulus Astrology's 2 books on Rectification: The Presidents, and The United States chart
4) Everything ever issued by Project Hindsight
5) Anthony Louis' first, larger book on Horary Astrology
6) My complete set of JustUs and Associates Horary Newsletters
7) Nancy Hastings... Time to Remember and Secondary Progressions

There are others... Rob Hand, Bruce Hammerslough (sp?), Sophia Mason, Ove Sehested's great course, Makransky's Primary Directions, Rumen Kolev's works, Marr, etc., plus Spherical Trigonometry for Astrologers...I have a LOT of references, and a LOT of favorites (25 years' worth!)... can't think of them all right now. Unfortunately, I've recently lost several hundred books I had in storage (and many other personal belongings).... but I try not to think about that... too depressing!
Anyway, I recommend every one of these books... they all have their special usefulness to the student, and especially the practicing, astrologer.
Patti

Everything ever issued by Project Hindsight
Thats cheating! :lol:

Ok. I think Philip just wanted a list of books near our working area. I prefer that to selecting five books from my entire library which would be a painful and drawn out process. :D So in no particular order these books are at hand right now:

1 Astrological Roots: The Hellenistic Legacy-Joseph Crane
2 The Book of World Horoscopes-Nicholas Campion
3 The Compendium-Rhetorius (trans James Holden)
4 The Book of The World-Ibn Ezra (trans Shlomo Sela)
5 Astronomica-Manilius (trans G. P. Goold)
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Five books

Ha ! I know I went overboard... so the list is a good indicator of my "workspace", first of all... my entire bedroom ! And secondly, I could
not narrow it down to just five ! Since I have to ;) here are the ones
closest to me right now when I'm working:

1) The Eagle and the Lark Bernadette Brady
2-3) Dr. H / Regulus Astrology's 2 books on Rectification:
A Rectification Manual (US Presidents), and
America is Born (US chart)
4) Spherical Trigonometry for Astrologers
5) Makransky's Primary Directions

There, I did it!

Have a good one, all !
Patti

Hello

It's always tough when there are these "limiting" questions, such as what books would you want on a deserted island, which CDs would you want if you could only have 5 out of your collection, etc.

Still, I think it is a useful/interesting question...so I'll take a stab at it.
By the way, the 5 books question is much easier than the 5 CD question!

Peace

Atlantean