Five Astrology books nearest your desk? (spot poll)

I hope this isn't too trivial for Skyscript, but thought it might be of some casual discursive interest to enquire as to which five publications connected with astrology might currently be on or nearest to the front of the desks of Skyscript members just now, and a little about them.

I think I'll volunteer to start off with (my reasons won't all be entirely satisfactory), so here is what is in fact closest to the front of my desk just now:

1. Lispenard, Bessie 'Astrological Basic Principles Book II' [Self-Published], Grand Central Station, New York, 1955. One of those mimeographed typescript curiosities typical of the underground astrological publishing industry from the 1950s to 1970s in the United States, that are always so fascinating to discover! This book has chapters dedicated to the discussion of the Moon's Nodes, the Part of Fortune, Aspects, Decanates, The Elements, and 100 Questions and Answers on Astrology. I don't have a copy of Book I, and there is none on the marketplace.

2. Bini, Daniele et al., eds. 'Liber Physiognomiae der Biblioteca Estense Universitaria in Modena' - Libri Illustri Il Bilino, 2000. This consists of a full-colour facsimile of an old slightly illustrated Latin manuscript, complete with a replica working volvelle diagram, paired with a modern printed edition with facing German translation of the same work, in a cardboard slipcase

3. Palingenius, M., tr. Googe, Barnaby 'The Zodiake of Life' Scholars' Facsimiles & Reprints, New York, N. Y., 1947. Consists of a monochrome facsimile of a very early English translation of the work, from 1576, together with an introduction and scans of a few variant forms of certain pages in the various Latin editions.

4. Stone, Ken 'Astrodynes: Astrological Power & Harmony' Libran Pub., Los Angeles, California, 1971. Should be self-explanatory to anyone familiar with the basic principles of cosmodynes / astrodynes, but I want to cross check this with Stone's work 'Delineation with Astrodynes', presently published by the A.F.A., to see if they are in fact the same text or completely different works. PS: I have now located my copy of 'Delineation with Astrodynes' and confirmed that the two books are completely different in their contents. The A.F.A. states that 'Delineation...' was first printed in 1972, which would make sense of it having been a follow-up work to 'Astrodynes', which is focused more on calculation and general principles of usage.

5. Had?s (pseud.) 'Le Livre des Maisons Astrologiques' ?ditions Bussi?re, Paris Ve, 1983. One of many works by this French author, who has been almost as prolific as Andr? Barbault in his coverage of different astrological themes in book form. Had?s has a reputation within French circles of being a relative traditionalist (by late 20th century standards anyway), and of not trying to candy-coat his delineations of problematic astrological placements.

So, who's next? :-)

I couldn't match a booklist like that, but I don't mind saying that the first issue of 'The Horary Pracitioner' is always within reaching distance and in a plastic cover of its own. The first issue was published in April/May 1989, by Carol Wiggers and CJ Puotinen, includes a basic glossary and deals with the problem of 'Lost/mislaid objects and Missing people'. Simple and concise for anyone in a hurry - and quite frankly, whenever a question regarding lost articles arrives there are few places to hide for the practicing astrologer.

My shelves sort into 'topics' according to usefulness and importance. I have quite a bit of correspondance down through the years with interesting people from before the internet offered a more efficient and swift form of communication. The internet is probably likely to effect our historical files of the future, one way or the other. I fear that more is likely to get lost and deleted, rather than printed and put in a folder.

But anything lay on my desk is mostly for practical use, rather than for study. Several 'Ballentrae reprints' are easily located, including the work of Henry Coley if I wanted a second opinion or to expand on anything from Lilly. Ebertin on 'Fixed Stars' almost hops out of the shelf all on its own. I like Goldstein-Jacobsen's way of combinding the old and the new. Sibly and AlBiruni are available if there is something I want to look into, although Sibly is not a first choice. Simmonite frequently visits the desk, but mostly because of a useful overview on towns and nations.
http://www.astronor.com

Reply to Philip

1: Interpreting Solar Returns, by James A. Eshelman

2: Solar and Lunar Returns, by Donald A. Bradley?Eshelman?s Mentor

3: The Combination Of Stellar Influences, by Reinhold Ebertin

4: Primer Of Sidereal Astrology, by Cyril Fagan & Brigadier R.C. Firebrace

5: Solunars Handbook?A collection of articles by Cyril Fagan selected by Joanne S. Clancy (Editor, American Astrology Magazine) after Fagan?s death in 1970.

*Dozens of American Astrology Magazines with articles by Western Siderealists?an invaluable source of learning for the astrologer including many other branches of astrology.

Steve
With all our modern knowledge and scientific equipment, and with the the great strides made in mathematics, we astrologers have done nothing to even remotely compare with the achievements of the astrologers of antiquity. Cyril Fagan

Re: Five Astrology books nearest your desk? (spot poll)

Philip Graves wrote:
2. Bini, Daniele et al., eds. 'Liber Physiognomiae der Biblioteca Estense Universitaria in Modena' - Libri Illustri Il Bilino, 2000. This consists of a full-colour facsimile of an old slightly illustrated Latin manuscript, complete with a replica working volvelle diagram, paired with a modern printed edition with facing German translation of the same work, in a cardboard slipcase
Worthy is worthy, but why they did not write how much is it? :bl

margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

Nearest to my workspace are: Ben Dykes' two-volume translation of Bonatti, James Holden's translation of Morin's Book 21, a compendium of lectures by Rudolf Steiner called Astronomy and Astrology, and Lilly's Christian Astrology (Deb's annotated edition, which I was fortunate enough to purchase several years ago).

1. Christian Astrology I/II and III by Lilly
2. Houses by Deb Houlding
3. The Horary Textbook by J. Frawley
4. The Judgement of Nativities by Abu Ali
5. Bonatti: On Horary by B. Dykes

Trojan
Reges Subjucent Legibus Stellarum

Mithra6 wrote:I actually have 12 books on my desk stacked on top of each other.
- if there was a competition for having the most books on a desk, or the most piles of books stacked open with sticky notes which can?t be closed because I?m referring to them all simultaneously (or will /might do shortly); or even the highest pile of books that are still upright and have not yet tumbled, I would win all three competitions at the moment. :lol:

This is not about favourites; so I am also going to list 5 books that are nearest to me right now.

Christian Astrology, William Lilly ? (actually touching the keyboard and open at p.387 for a reference I wanted to give a student about how Lilly would identify and then use the ?assisting planet?).

Moment of Astrology, Geoffrey Cornelius - I might be making a reference to one of GC?s points in a talk I am preparing, so I have the book on standby.

Urania?s Children, Ellic Howe ? John Etherington was selling a 2nd hand copy of this at the recent Faculty Summer School. I have wanted it for a long time so it was bargain for only ?12. Have only read the first few chapters so far but it is very good, and a nice, interesting easy read. Love Howe?s final words at the end of the first chapter - he's not quite sure about astrology but tries to be open-minded so concludes ?astrology would be fine without the astrologers?.

Natural History, 3-7, Pliny ? whilst looking up something else a few months ago, I noticed some other passages that looked really interesting with regard to synodic cycles, so I have a note telling myself to read it when I can find time (the note is getting quite dusty now ?)

21st Century American Ephemeris ? this doesn?t come down off the book shelf very often nowadays, but nothing beats an ephemeris for quick checks on when retrograde cycles start and finish.

PS - I am going to be offline for just over week now - Deb

What a lot of interesting responses, much as I had hoped, each throwing some light on the current studies or general technical leanings of the astrologer. Keep them coming, folks!

Margherita, I completely sympathise with your reaction in that I think the original price of the Liber Physiognomiae facsimile was prohibitive and excessive. I paid 3/11ths of that in an eBay auction for a copy with a slightly damaged slipcase (but all inside is fine). The remaining new stock has been knocked down to 4/11ths of the original price at Astronova.de too! Yes, it's still a lot.

What a good idea! :)

Here's my list. I didn't always write editions as in some cases I've got more than one.

1. Yavanajataka ed. by Pingree
2. Antiochus of Athens: The Treasuries
3. Sahl ibn Bishr: Judgments according to the Twelve Houses of the Heavens (the first 3 treatises in Dykes' edition)
4. Ibn Abi al-Rijal: The Book of the Skilled
5. The Book of the Nine Judges

L.