Lilly is extremely specific about physical and character descriptions in horary.
I dusted off my Lilly (CA) and did a scan. For example, I looked particularly hard at the area where he shows how to describe a thief. Lilly uses the accidental considerations the planet is found in and not the natural meanings of the planet to describe the thief. I looked elsewhere too and couldn't find where he uses natural meanings to describe people (other than perhaps the querent and his moles).
Cordially yours,

Peter

In my work I have found that the significator of a person would describe that person to the extent of that person's relevancy to the question at hand, or the facet that that person is expressing in the situation. If you look deeper, you may figure out that people will move and change their behavior patterns to fit their significator in a situation. Hard to do unless you already fit the profile of that significator, and a physical resemblance, if you will, can go a long way.
We can work backwards on this. Would it not stand to reason that if Mercury is prominent in one's natal chart, and the native fits Mercury's description--short, wiry, restless, angular features(I have even seen the Gemini ruled having hair feathered back), one would take this position in a horary, or have a strong connection to whatever Mercury rules or is connected to?? All horaries have their roots in the self and its motivations. More accurately, would it not stand to reason that one's motivation for asking a horary would stem from, for example, Mercury-related concerns?

To take another tack--I see the 1st House as ruling the principle of will. While this can be the querent's will in a particular situation, it can be someone else's will as well. In fact, it can be the principle of will of everyone involved, at the time at which the question is asked. When the querent asks the question, he takes this position, and others have to move to fit their respective significators, while the querent moves to fit his own. If you have to 'move' quite a bit, I'd say it's unlikely from the first that you will take that position in the first place, and you're not likely to fall in line with a particular significator. You might find that your true wants in a situation will match the significator which you resemble most in profile. The will that we state in a question often does not match our true will. Thus the querent's significator in a question though it rule the 1st House, may not reflect the querent's true position in the matter, only his will in the moment.

Horary, thus, can be quite complicated.
Astro Swift

Peter_Fox
"I dusted off my Lilly (CA) and did a scan. For example, I looked particularly hard at the area where he shows how to describe a thief. Lilly uses the accidental considerations the planet is found in and not the natural meanings of the planet to describe the thief. I looked elsewhere too and couldn't find where he uses natural meanings to describe people (other than perhaps the querent and his moles)."
I don't know about Lilly but Bonatti certainly does use the planets to describe people.

I dusted off my Lilly (CA) and did a scan. For example, I looked particularly hard at the area where he shows how to describe a thief. Lilly uses the accidental considerations the planet is found in and not the natural meanings of the planet to describe the thief. I looked elsewhere too and couldn't find where he uses natural meanings to describe people (other than perhaps the querent and his moles).
I don't have my copy (I am at work), it's in Book I am certain but can't list the page numbers. He describes people by height, weight, general demeanour, etc.

Deb is the expert on Lilly (probably the most knowledgeable in the world in that area) and she lists Lilly's quotes throughout her website -
The planets
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/sun_att.html

Go to "physical descriptions," etc. It's all straight out of Lilly, most word-for-word.

The signs
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/leo.html

Oh, yes, he goes to great lengths throughout! He even talks about a cardinal sign rising and the ASC ruler in a cardinal sign showing specific characteristics in behavior, etc.

Other useful sources that list Lilly comprehensively are here:

http://www.astermatch.com/docs/PlanetsLilly.pdf
http://www.worldastrology.net/wp-conten ... riscti.pdf
I don't know about Lilly but Bonatti certainly does use the planets to describe people.
Lilly seems to have been much influenced by Bonatti, and would likely agree with him for the most part.

Handn wrote:
In late May Jupiter opposed Saturn and then changed signs, losing his dignified situation, and conjoined Uranus in June. I deduce from that that he was terminated (or had his role removed to somewhere where he could cause less trouble) around that time.
Yes, we can't forget the on-again, off-again Jupiter-Saturn opp and also the Uranus conjunction, and I did mention this to the querent during the reading (for some reason I think it got left out in what I told Deb). I told her in the short term he (the weird guy she asked about) will stay but he may be fired a while down the road (I don't remember giving a time frame, but I didn't think it would be that year). Mutability usually takes a bit longer and the orb is wide.

He was just this past month fired, as one might expect! Good call to mention this, Handn. The querent told her coworker friends about my reading and one of them came up to her today and mentioned that he had just been fired, a long while after the question, as her astrologer sister had predicted (they remembered the reading). :lol:

Thanks for the update Tanit. It's really interesting to read back through the thread knowing how things panned out further down the line. Very valuable learning experience.

Regards

H.

Tanit, Deb , please see

Hi all this looks like a very informative thread with diverse opinions and methodologies. I suppose this thread can be a good exercise for practice.

Tanit, do you have the original chart? Or you know where i can find it. The link on the thread to the chart doesnt work anymore!
Deb said this chart was published? Does anyone remember where?

Thanks

:D

Gosh, has it been so long!?

I found it here:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/horary.co/ch ... cern1.html

She actually just quit last year and is unemployed while taking care of my dad (I am sending them money to support them), but I think is going to go back soon to the same job while my father is probably put in assisted living due to increasing health concerns. She has hated working there for so long and I will never understand her choice to stay in a place she hates, but you can definitely see the fixed indicators emphasizing lack of change. She is the kind of person who complains about things but never does anything to change her circumstances, alas.