Planets - Triplicity Rulership

Hi very beginners question but would appreciate the help,

For example, Saturn rules the air triplicity by day.

Now the air signs which are all diurnal are Gemini, Libra and Aquarius.

What exactly is the meaning of this and how is it used in horary?

Does it matter if the chart is nocturnal? Does Saturn become dignified or stronger in these signs even in a cadent house ?

Thank you.

Hi Apol ...
Yes it does matter if the chart is nocturnal. It would be difficult to give you a quick answer to this but you should find your answer if you read this series of introductory articles. The link below goes to a relevent page but if all this is new to you then I strongly suggest you take some time to read the whole series and the links that extend from that page.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig3.html

Hopefully that will resolve your confusion.
Deb

Thank you Deb the article did help,

So to answer my questions and please correct me if I'm wrong:
For example, Saturn rules the air triplicity by day.
Now the air signs which are all diurnal are Gemini, Libra and Aquarius.
What exactly is the meaning of this and how is it used in horary?
The use of triplicity in horary astrology comes into play when looking at the essential dignities of a planet or several planets.
Does it matter if the chart is nocturnal?
It does matter. Saturn for example would be less dignified if the chart was nocturnal.
Does Saturn become dignified or stronger in these signs even in a cadent house ?
Ok, so this has to do with essential and accidental dignity.

Now looking at Lilly's table to examine the strenght and debility of each planet I can see that this question cannot be simply answered with a yes or no because it depends on many things:

Like, among many other points, wich cadent house: in 12th house = -5
in 8th, 6th house = -2

Hope I got this right.

Yes, I think you understand it. Triplicity rulership is one of the 'lesser dignities' in horary - the major dignities are only sign rulership and exaltation - but the recognition of the essential dignity by triplicity over those signs is given to Saturn in a day chart but at night it goes to Mercury instead.
This doesn't have a great deal of practical use in horary, except in a few techniques. Its main use is in the evaluation of essential dignity and reception.
Regards
Deb

Does it matter if the chart is nocturnal? Does Saturn become dignified or stronger in these signs even in a cadent house?
The day/night placement of planets is something known as planetary sect, which relates a lot to how a planet expresses itself at its best or worst. The planets who rule the day sect are Sun, Jupiter and Saturn. The night sect planets are Moon, Venus and Mars. Mercury has no sect rulership, he tends to behave as how he relates to other planets.

For Saturn, he's considered a cold and dry planet because he is very far from the Sun (the furthest of the traditional planets), and when you put him in a night chart, he becomes excessively cold. Lilly says that Saturn's cold and dry nature is "destructive to man." If he's in the day, his coldness is tempered a bit. For the malefics in particular (Saturn and Mars), who cause a lot of problems when they are at their worst, they behave more nicely when they are tempered, which is when they are essentially/accidentally well placed and otherwise in their proper placements, such as by sect. Mars, as the lesser malefic, is a hot planet, which is why he behaves better at night, where he is cooled down and less excessive.

There are other placements that help a planet behave at its best nature like sect does, such as when a masculine planet sits in a masculine sign in the proper hemisphere, and when planets who prefer being oriental to the Sun are oriental, or are occidental to Sun when they prefer occidental. Oriental planets rise before the Sun does, and they are the masculine planets: Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. The occidental ones are the feminine planets: Moon and Venus. Mercury is genderless, although Lilly says he prefers occidental placement. Lilly places the occidental/oriental placements as a form of accidental dignity. I am not sure why sect isn't an accidental dignity as well, since it seems just as important.

Here's a thread you might find useful, on Hayz/Halb:
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1371

Another that includes Sect in Strength/Weakness of planets:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewt ... d003f6c559