Australian Federal Election- 2010

australia goes to election on 21 august with t.sun opposite t. neptune, and mercury retrograde. to add to the confusion, there is an exact square between t.saturn and t.pluto. - all, of course opposing t.uranus conjt. t.jupiter r. the t.moon will be beside t.n.node conjt. Australia's natal sun in capricorn.

what a challenging set of transits!

in addition, australia's progressed sun has just entered taurus, and t.mars and t.venus will be happily conjunct on election day, in libra ? the sun sign of present p.m. julia gillard ? not far from her natal sun at 6 degrees libra. another good sign is her progressed jupiter which is conjunct australia's natal m.c. on election day. this could well point to a woman as p.m.

i suspect there may be a surprising, uranus-type result, with gillard only just returned as p.m., and a hung parliament with the greens. change is coming to australia in spite of a long tradition of very conservative saturnian leaders. gillard may be forced to make changes she does not want.
elderwoman

Australia goes to election on 21 august with t.sun opposite t. neptune, and mercury retrograde. to add to the confusion, there is an exact square between t.saturn and t.pluto. - all, of course opposing t.uranus conjt. t.jupiter r. the t.moon will be beside t.n.node conjt. Australia's natal sun in capricorn.

Hello,

A warm welcome to Skyscript and the mundane forum in particular :' I hope you find the site useful and fun. Please take the opportunity to check out some of the fascinating articles here on Skyscript.

Thanks for raising this and for your analysis. I have retitled the thread slightly to make clear to people this is a Federal or national election. :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ju ... 21-gillard

This is surprising as the scheduled General election wasn't for a while yet was it?

So you think it might be a hung Parliament with Gillard hanging on in there with the Greens help? I imagine with a largely two party system hung parliaments are rare in Australia? Interesting that Australia already has a preferential voting system similar to the one being put to a referendum in Britain next year (called Alternative vote here).

Gillard is probably right to strike while the iron is hot and use any residual honeymoon factor that remains. Still the Liberals only need to win 9 seats to form a coalition with independents and with 13 new seats they can form an outright government. Still Gillard has certainly turned around the poor poll rating for Labor under Kevin Rudd. Labor currently have a slight lead. It will be fun to have a go at predicting the result here. :D

Australia is a very big country with several time zones. Any ideas when the first polls open and the last close?

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time-australia.htm

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Australia's Election 21 August 2010

Leader of the Australian Greens is Dr.Bob Brown who was born on 27 Dec 1944 at Trunkey Creek, Tasmania. Not sure about the time of 2.20pm.

His transits for election day (21 Aug) are interesting:
20 Aug t.Pluto squares n.Chiron in Libra
21 Aug t.Moon conjt n.South Nodes in Cap.
22 Aug t.Saturn conj n.Chiron in Libra

He'll would also be feeling the effects of t.Pluto conjct his n.Sun and t.Saturn squaring his n.Sun in Cap. t.Saturn will square his n.Saturn later in September this year.

Bob's natal M.C. is conjct. Australia's n.M.C. in early Aquarius.

The Australian Greens political party was formed on 30 Aug 1992 in Sydney. Not sure of the time. Presently, their p.Sun, p.Jupiter and p.Mercury are happily together at 24-26 degrees of Virgo.

Has anyone got birth times for both Bob Brown and the Australian Greens?
elderwoman

Australian election

The polls open at 8:30 am on 21st Aug and there are 3 time zones with Western Australia 2 hours behind the east coast. Polls will close at 6pm so casting a chart for 6pm AWST (-8) gives a chart with 3Pisces rising and 0Sag on the MC. Preliminary results from the east coast and centre start to come through showing the emerging trends. The ruler of Asc & MC is the retro Jupiter caught up in the Tsquare which may indicate the lack of an immediate result perhaps?
I think what is interesting is that the exact Tsquare with Saturn-Pluto-Jupiter gives a signature to whatever govt is elected at this time. The 'hardness' is already coming through with two very tough opponents who have done battle before and also tough stances by Gillard on 'boat people' and Abbot on the economy. We live in interesting times!

Australia's Election 21 August 2010

There seems to be quite a 'Taurus' flavour to this election.....

Just had a look at the Oz Green Party's progressed chart and note that their p.Moon will be conjunct Australia's p.Moon on 11 August, at 20 degrees 26 seconds of Taurus. (Their birth date was in Sydney on 30 August 1992-time unknown).

Australia's p.Ascendant is also close, at almost 23 degrees Taurus, and Australia's p.Sun moves into Taurus on 24 August, just a few days after the election.

Bob Brown has a 5 degree Taurus natal Ascendant.

Hummm....food for thought?
elderwoman

AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL ELECTION 201-

The Polling Booths open at 8.00 am in the Eastern States and close at 6.00 pm. Add on 2 hours for the West.

Results will begin coming in and by 7.00 pm there should be an indication as to results in Queensland - this could be a key to the end result as many Q'landers are unhappy with the manner in which Julia Gillard deposed Kevin Rudd and took office on the night of June 24, 2010.

Western Australia will be very important as well as many there are disenchanted with the Mining taxes to be imposed on them if a Gillard Government wins the day.

The Sun is in Leo with the Moon in Capricorn on the day - a conservative result after all? Saturn as Ruler of the Moon is happy in Libra - Sign of exaltation for this very sobering Planet.

I use the chart for Australia set at Melbourne January 01, 1901 @ 1.37.17 pm from Alice Mc Dermott - a very respected Astrologer and I believe this time was rectified by Gwen Stoney in her day.Please correct me if if this is not so.

Looking at the chart for the Election, Mercury posited in 4th House - is in an applying trine to the Moon @ 8.00am. By 6.00 pm the Moon is now separating from this trine and is placed in the 11th House of Groups, peers and friends.

Through out the day the Capricorn Moon indicates the people go about their duty - as this Moon applies to a trine with Australia's Natal 20/19 Taurus Moon in 2nd House.

The Election chart has a Cardinal T Square, Jupiter R and conj Uranus, is Sq. Pluto - and opposing Saturn. A power struggle with a surprise factor no less, could disrupt the outcome and delay a result?

Venus could be very happy in Libra but Mars is within 10 seconds of a conj. Could the result be indicated by an unexpected stab in the back for Julia?

Mercury is stationary about to retrograde @ 19/01 Virgo .

Julie K

Thanks Julie,
The Polling Booths open at 8.00 am in the Eastern States and close at 6.00 pm. Add on 2 hours for the West.
I appreciate the opening/close of poll times. That not very late for polls. :shock: Here in the UK they open until 10.00pm. Especially, considering voting is compulsory in Australia.

Interesting analysis. So you are predicting a likely coalition ie centre-right win? That has moved us along nicely. I will be displaying some more charts soon to encourage wider discussion.

Just realised both Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott were both born in the United Kingdom! :shock:

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Australian Federal Election 2010

Mark,

I dont think we can 'predict' the result atm. Yes voting is compulsory and it is mostly well organised. Anyone who is unable to get to a polling booth on the day can apply for a postal vote and you can do this well before the day as there will be 'booths' opening where you vote in person and the votes are counted after the polled votes and added on.

This election was 'sprung' on the Australian public by Julia Gillard and some are very angry with her - this may well be evident in the result. Often something beginning in deception can end this way.

From what we can see on reliable TV Forums many are thinking over the possible options of the smaller parties, particularly the Greens. They could control the Senate and that may not be such a bad thing. There are the younger generation voting for the first time and they are really thinking.

We are a conservative people down here and Govt is stable - the Capricorn Moon sets the mood or tone of the charts and we have a 10 degree Cap Sun Natally. No incumbent PM has been deposed in this manner before!

Yes both Julia and Tony were born in the UK. Tony Abbott is a practicisng Catholic while Julia does not have a religious belief. Tony has both a Law and Economics degree, one comes with a Masters and he is a Rhodes Scholar and he is a very fit athlete. Julia has a Law degree.

I look forward with interest to the charts you will add.

Julie K

A very peculiar turn of events!

Julia Gillard has called in Kevin Rudd the ex Prime Minister she deposed as recently as June 24,2010 (approx 9.30 pm Sydney) to campaign with her to win the Queensland vote. If she cant win in Queensland then she may well loose this election.

Kevin Rudd underwent gall bladder surgery evening of July 24, 2010 and has answered Julia's sudden call to 'rescue' her from obvious defeat. Kevin's wife Therese announced he would recuperate for the clinically advised two weeks following his surgery. He has now put aside these plans and will campaign with Julia as of August 05, 2010 - late afternoon.

If Julia cannot win an Election without the help of the man she disposed of so recently does she have the necessary competence to govern the country? Her abilities do come into serious question.

Julie K

If Julia cannot win an Election without the help of the man she disposed of so recently does she have the necessary competence to govern the country? Her abilities do come into serious question.
I take it this means you are not a fan? :D Actually I think Julia Gillard is a very bright canny woman. Polls consistently show far more Australian voters rate her as an effective Prime Minister than her rival Tony Abbott. However, her timing is all wrong.Voters everywhere dislike seeing disunity and party in fights. Plus the fact Kevin Rudd was dumped when Labor dropped in the polls and then Gillard calls a snap election does look like pretty naked political cynicism. :shock: Also its hard to take her line on new policy initiatives such as a reduction in immigration that seriously when she was personally advocating the opposite position a couple of years ago. Now she seeks the assistance of her former opponent in a sign of Labor party unity. Dont you just love politicians? :wink:

I am going to come out of the political closet here and state I would love to see Elderwoman's prediction of a Green party breakthrough come about. :lala They have already done well in the Senate and state legislatures in the past. The fact a Green is the head of the state government in Tasmania is impressive. However, federal house of representatives elections are not fought on a proportional representation system. Still I certainly hope they get a voice in the lower house at last. It would be good to see some politicians standing up against the power of the Mining Industry now that Labor have backed down. Per head of population Australia is one of the biggest carbon emission producers on earth.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/ ... 74518.html

Anyway, I better get back to some actual astrology in my next post. :oops: I decided Gillard was very likely to lose ( or at absolute best be forced into a coalition) some time ago based on the Aries Ingress chart. I will delineate that in my next post.

Mark

I dont think we can 'predict' the result atm
I beg to disagree. I am certainly going to have a damn good try at predicting the result astrologically anyway. :lala I realise some people have a philosophical objection to this kind of approach. Personally, though I think mundane astrology without prediction reduces astrology to nothing more than an elaborate parlour game. If we never risk getting it wrong how can we ever know when we are getting it right?

I have decided to work with the Aries Ingress chart to see what it indicates regarding the Australian election.
I did use this kind of chart to try to predict the UK election but was unsuccessful. In retrospective I think that chart was very clear that the ruling administraton would lose. Checking out William Ramesey having Lord 10 combust the Sun and void of course was a dire omen. I think I let my partisan preferences affect my judgement. :shock:

This time I am going to try to keep it simple. Traditionally, a fixed sign rising indicates this Aries ingress chart will be operative for an entire year without the need to look at other ingress charts. I already looked at this chart to discuss the indicators in the chart for Kevin Rudd's downfall. However, it is still operating so can be applied to the government of Julia Gillard too.

I will look at the chart with two techniques.

Firstly, using the traditional method of deliineating the Aries Ingress chart which assigns the 10th house to the ruler/government and the 4th house to the opposition. In this approach the general will of the people is expressed by the 1st house and the Moon also gives a strong indicator of public opinion. The Sun is a natural significator for the leader.

Secondly, I wil take a look at the alternative method suggested by Steven Birchfield. Steven suggests that since all the political parties are competing for office they are all symbolised by planetary rulers of the 10th house. Steven proposes using the Dorothean triplicity rulers and assigning each to a party which fits the nature of the party best.

Traditional Method

Firstly, I note the domicile ruler and Almuten of the 10th house is Mars. It falls in the 7th house by whole sign opposing the 1st. By sign division (Placidus) it falls in the cadent 6th house. The 7th house placement of Mars indicates the current government are not in public favour and may may instill strong aversion in some voters. The 6th house placement by sign division indicates the weakness of the administration as the planet has sunk well below the horizon. Mars also fits the associations of the Australian Labor party quite well. Lord 4 (the opposition) is Venus in Aries. This is a cadent house both by whole sign house and sign division. Venus is also in its sign of detriment. However, Venus is direct in motion, free of combustion and occidental of the sun. It is also in sect as the chart is a night chart. Even on its on I think this favours the Liberal-National Party coalition over Labour. Mars is in mutual reception to the Sun. However, this ties into the Sun-Saturn Rx opposition of which more later.

In terms of natural significators the Moon falls in this house by whole sign and sign division. This seems another clear indication that the public favours the Liberal-National party coalition. Moreover, the Moon is in a conservative earth sign (Taurus). The Moon is angular, and strong by essential dignity. The Moon is close to the IC with associations to the distant past. Overall the majority of public opinion is in no mood for radical policies. The public seek reassurance from safe, conservative values.

Less positively, the Moon is forming a dexter square to the ASC and Neptune. This seems to indicate public opinion ids confused and perhaps divided. This is one factor that makes me think a coalition is a possibility.

Unlike most of the northern hemisphere charts I have looked for this Aries Ingress this is a night chart. This makes the Moon the sect light and exceptionally strong considering it is in its sign of exaltation and angular too. However, the Moon is conjunct the fixed star Algol here. In northern hemisphere charts I have examined this Moon has manifested in a fairly malefic way despite its essential dignity. However, I tend to think this tendency will be mitigated here due to this being a night chart and the Moon being in a feminine sign. Still. Algol does indicate an intensity and almost hysterical mood.

Neptune is conjunct the rising degree. This adds a mood of confusion and public opinion being shaped by emotional undertones that may not be entirely rational. In a nutshell I see this as a gut reaction by the public going against the Labor party.

Finally, there is the applying opposition of Saturn by retrograde motion to the Sun noted earlier. The Sun is a natural significator of the ruler and Saturn is ruler of the 1st house which indicates the public will. This seems yet another testimomy indicating public opposition is against the incument government. Saturn representing the public indicates conservative forces mobilising strongly against the government. Saturn also fits the symbolism of domestic forces like the Mining industry very well too.

Using the traditional delineation of an ingress chart the odds look poor for Julia Gillard and the Labor party. In fact, using the rule of three we actually have three separate indicators of this in the chart!

Dorothean Triplicity Rulers ( Steven Birchfield technique)

Mars is the domicile and night triplicity ruler of Scorpio. Venus is the day triplicity ruler. The Moon is the participating triplicity ruler of Scorpio.

Mars seems to fit the Australian Labor party well as noted earlier. With this technique though the Liberal-National paty coalition is probably better symbolized by the Moon as the participating triplicity ruler here. This would mean the coalition are carrying public opinion with them.

So using either the traditional delineation of the Aries ingress chart or Steven Birchfield's suggested method I see a Liberal-National party victory as highly likely. Its interesting that Julia Gillard started the election with a slight lead in the polls but in the last week her support seems to have had a bit of a collapse. I wonder if the astrological trigger was the Mars-Saturn conjunction? It fell very close to Saturn Rx in the ingress chart indicating a dramatic change in public mood.

The only things which gave me pause for thought are Neptune on the ASC which could indicate a confused public mood leading to a coalition. However, there are a lot of indicators against Labor here.

The Green party might make a breakthrough and gain a few seats at this election. They could probably tap into the Taurus energy of that powerful Moon with their focus on environmental conservation. Neptune on the ASC and Moon square the ASC and Neptune do seem to indicate contradictory impulses and perhaps a confused outcome. However, I suspect any gains by the Greens will probably come largely at Labor's expense so overall I think a Green-Labor coalition unlikely due to insufficient seats. However, I will gladly be proved wrong on this last point. :wink:

Of course this is just one technique. I will be displaying a few other kinds of chart to see what they come up with before election day. In paticular I fancy looking at opening/close of polls charts and the pre-lunation chart.

We dont seem to have accurate timed charts for either leader do we? Still it will be worth displaying their solar charts.

Do any of you Australian astrologers have charts for the foundation of the Labor party and the Liberal-National Party coalition? I couldn't even pin down a specific date for the formation of the Labor party. :-?

Mark

Mark,

The Shearers strike of January - June 1892 at Barcaldine QLD saw in the 'starting' point of the Australian Labour Party. There is somewhere a chart with a place 'under the Tree of Wisdom at Barcaldine' that I did have but cant locate now. Waltzing Matilda was written at this time by Banjo Patterson.

However I have found some info at the Queensland State Library site. There is a 'copperplate' handwritten copy of the original Manifesto relating to the beginning of the Australian Party dated September 09, 1982 signed by one Charles Seymour. There is no time or place. I saved each page to My Pictures and can download the 9 pages from here. There is a 'time out' feature however you need to know.

I include Brisbane's chart from a reputable Astrologer: September 28, 1824 @ 9.25 am co-ords: 27S28 153E02 Asc 11/51 Sag.

Bob Brown's chart: Dec 27, 1944 2.20 pm -10.00 hrs Trunkey Tasmania
03/25 Taurus Asc Moon conj Uranus Gemini Second House. Rating A

Julie K
Last edited by Julie K on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.