Australia's Election 21 August 2010

bob brown and the australian greens party will be under tremendous pressure for the next few years. as of 1 july next year, they will hold the balance of power in our senate.

i hope bob will be ok, as he has some strong transits coming up towards the end of this year, 2010,

11 september, t.saturn square n.sun;
20 september, t.saturn conjt n.neptune;
29 september, t.saturn square n.saturn;

and, just a few days after he turns 66;

31 december, t.pluto conjt n.sun at 5 degrees 19 secs capricorn.

its also interesting to note that these transits are close to australia's n.saturn at 7 degrees 43 secs and the n.sun at 10 degrees 4 secs of capricorn.

life will be intense for our bob towards the end of 2010 and in early 2011.
elderwoman

The Australian Greens party do certainly now have unprecedented influence with 9 Senators giving them the balance of power in the Australian upper house (Senate).

The sole Greens MP in the House of Representatives has also indicated he will be supporting the Labor party. Should Julia Gillard manage to form a coalition government this will give the Greens influence there too.

Here is the untimed chart for the founding of the Australian Greens:
Here is a bi-wheel with the Greens party chart in the middle and the close of poll chart on the outside.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Australian Federal Election 2010

elderwoman,

Dont loose sight of T Saturn moving to conjunct Julia Gillard's N Sun @ 6/03 Libra. If he does become PM she will experience blocks,delays in 'moving forward'.

There are still 3 seats hanging in the balance and we may not know for some time the party that will win these seats - weeks was metioned on TV news this morning! This relies on the Postal Votes yet to be to come and be added to the count.

We do have Mercury Retro @ 18/14 Virgo atm - retros back to 5/39 Virgo on Sept 11, 2010 in Australia's 5th House trine Australia's 10/03 Cap Sun and moving back over Mars @ 11/39 Virgo.

The T N Node is conj Australia's N Sun atm.

Julie K

Hi Julie,

You have reminded me that I we have not examined the natal chart of either Julia Gillard or Tony Abbott. This was intentional on my part before the election as I take the view that transits dont necessarily show political success in a clear cut way. The example of ex US Presidential candidate John Kerry comes to mind. He had good transits on the polling day vs Bush. He still lost. :???:

Clearly, this day represented the pinnacle of his political career. However, it didn't indicate winning the Presidential contest. Incumbent candidates can show positive transits on losing. This can represent release from the pressures of office and a happier personal time with family.

Still, it is worth a look now to see what the charts augur. First off Tony abbott and then Julia Gillard. Unfortunately we dont have a timed chart for either of them.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

There are still 3 seats hanging in the balance and we may not know for some time the party that will win these seats - weeks was metioned on TV news this morning! This relies on the Postal Votes yet to be to come and be added to the count.
Hello Julie,

I understand the Australian preferential voting system is more complex than the simple plurality systems of first past the post in the UK and USA. What I dont understand is why you still have postal votes coming in so late after the election? In the UK I believe the deadline to return them is before the General election. However in Australia I believe you accept postal votes coming in up to the end of August? :???:

Is this to accommodate the isolated rural parts of Australia and the large Australian population living overseas?

Mark

I haven't had time to get into discussion of either Abbott or Gillard's chart yet. I will hopefully get back to that soon. Please feel welcome to drop by and make any observations. In the meantime here are both their charts again. This time as bi-wheels. Inner chart is their natal charts. Outer charts are transits for close of polls time.

Mark,

Some of the Postal Votes are from outlying areas and some overseas. I dont know the cut off point for Postal Votes.

The latest news is based on the flow of Postal Votes and other outstanding votes: 72 seats go to Labour and 72 seats go to Liberal so a hung Parliament with four Independents and one Green. As yet no one knows how this will work out.

It appears to be just so inconclusive over all.

Our voting system is the same over the country and doesnt vary from State to State. We do get to choose who we want and who we dont want. The overall vote was 500,000 more for Tony Abbott before preferences kick in.

A birth time of 11.54 am is being used for Julia Gillard atm and there is a time for Tony Abbott I will try to find.

Julie K

ABC News now reports that all 150 seats in the Australian Parliament have been decided. Although postal votes are still being counted all the keys seats that were in doubt are now resolved

The final count for the Federal Parliament seats is as follows:

Coalition: 73

Labor: 72

Greens: 1

Independents: 4

Since the Greens MP has already declared he will support Labor the two main parties can currently call on 73 votes. However, both parties are three seats short of forming a majority in the lower house. The focus has already shifted to negotiations with the remaining 4 Independents. Here is an article on them all and the one Green.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 990081.htm
Our voting system is the same over the country and doesnt vary from State to State.

That is not correct at state election level though.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/electoral_system.html

For example, Tasmania elects its state assembly with the Single Transferable vote system (aka Hare-Clark system in Australia) which is the same system used to elect the Federal Senate. The Upper houses in New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and the unicameral Federal capital assembly also use Single Transferable Vote (aka Hare-Clark system in Australia) All the other states use the preferential voting system without proportional representation at lower house level. Moreover, Queensland, Northern Territory and ACT have only unicameral assemblies while the other states have upper and lower houses like the Federal Parliament.
We do get to choose who we want and who we dont want.
mmm I would question that. The preferentional voting system does give that impression because you have multiple choices and the least popular candidates are eliminated and their support tranferred to other candidates. However, I doubt if you were a Greens voter you would be saying that! The current electoral system favours the two big parties in the lower house. Based on primary share of the vote they dont really deserve the amount of seats they get. Using the same system followed in the Senate the lower house would have returned approximately 17 Greens.

Its true the preferential system does ensure the least unpopular candidate has the best chance. However it can produce quite bizarre results. For example candidates that start 3rd most popular can end up winning a seat. One of the independents just did this with only 21% of the popular vote on first preferences votes. It would make more sense to have multi-member constituencies for all elections. If Australia is becoming a three party country this will need to be considered in the long term or a lot of voters will be disenfranchised in terms of their primary vote.

A birth time of 11.54 am is being used for Julia Gillard atm and there is a time for Tony Abbott I will try to find.
Thanks Julie,

I would welcome the data and the sources. Even though it means deleting all the charts I have previously displayed on Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott. :(

Mark

Mark,

Julia Gillard's time of birth was said to be 'around midday' by her mother. This cannot be substanciated atm and was gained via a friend then rectified by several Australian Astrologers.

Tony Abbott's time of birth is not available and the time of 11.54 am is speculative atm. His academic achievements and time spent in the priesthood would suggest a strong 9th House ruler and/or Planetary placements there.

Some Postal Votes for ex-pats are from places such as Niger, Congo, etc and are avaibale on requerst from the High Commissioners for these countries. The cut off date for a postal vote was August 19th so a delay could be expected for these votes to be delivered back to the High Commissioner then sent on to Australia.

As things stand now Labor has 72 votes, Coalition 73, Independents 4, Greens 1.

The majority of the Constituants of the Independents are asking that Tony Abbott, the Leader Coalition Party be given their support. This is still to be worked out, so as it now stands a stalemate exists. Plus Labor may request a re-count of the Boothby Electorate booths in Victoria next week.

Julie K

Julia Gillard's time of birth was said to be 'around midday' by her mother. This cannot be substanciated atm and was gained via a friend then rectified by several Australian Astrologers.

Tony Abbott's time of birth is not available and the time of 11.54 am is speculative atm. His academic achievements and time spent in the priesthood would suggest a strong 9th House ruler and/or Planetary placements there.
Unfortunately, that might vary depending on which house system is used. Anyway, it appears the charts displayed were ok as there are no verified times for either candidate. The noon chart I have displayed for Julia Gillard seems as good as anything else considering the Mother's statement. Anonymous, tip off from 'friends' is not a reliable enough source for me. How many non-astrologers discuss their exact time of birth with a friend?
As things stand now Labor has 72 votes, Coalition 73, Independents 4, Greens 1.
Yes I thought I already posted this above. :???: However, its questionable whether the Coalition should really be counted on 73 seats. Tony Crook from the Western Australian Nationals has stated he will sit on the crossbenches rather than with the coalition.

I cannot think of a more arithmetically 'hung' parliament than this. The term 'stalemate' sounds exactly right.

Mark,

{As things stand now Labor has 72 votes, Coalition 73, Independents 4, Greens 1. }:???:

Forgive me - I am becoming weary and wary at one and the same time atm. The Independents are yet to make their choices. :sg

The approach to the main contenders chart times are best taken as 12.01 pm. Mothers are often unaware of the actual birth time of their child. :lala

Julie K