Janis, you make a lot of good points in your recent post. I like the bit about the swift Moon separating from Saturn and being placed in the Via Combust (the Fiery or 'Scarey' Way). Goca, if I understand you correctly, maybe you actually are suggesting that the Moon in the Via Combust opens up for an underdog? The underdog option became obvious to me when Janis pointed out that the Moon cast her antiscia to the IC. I think the swift Moon has to be compared and seen in contrast with the slow Mercury, who was breaking away from being tied up in his 2nd station (Untie these Hands - Blue), yet I do not mind giving priority to the Moon in judgement.

Yuzuru and Paul have an interesting point about Popular (Sweden), which I believe is correctly associated with the Moon. Just to point out that Sweden is traditionally associated with Aquarius, it is interesting that the Moon separates from Saturn in a masculine sign - with reference to Aquarius rather than Capricorn. And the exaltation of Saturn is cast by trine from Aquarius to Libra. Aquarius is intercepted in the 3rd house and it was a Swedish guy who wrote Running Scared.

Bills does associate Azerbaijan to Taurus since Azerbaijan was previously a part of the USSR. Back to something Janis said that when both lights are disposed by the same planet, then this dispositor represents the winner. The MC's application to the Sun in Taurus could be significant, yet I am still wondering whether Azerbaijan could be more properly connected to the Moon in Libra - and it is interesting that Venus is in Aries. We can always do a backtrack and looking at the charts for 2009 & 2010 for clues.

One reader sent me a jab because my 'prediction' was wrong. Well, I would be the first to admit that my bet didn't pay off (yet my Eurovision account is still way up ahead the last 3 years in terms of returns), but that is completely ignoring having seen how this contest unfolded from the beginning to the end with a formation of favorites and what has been learnt by undertaking the study. The winner of the Eurovision Song Contest is decided by a popular vote and this makes it an interesting expression and measure of a collective and cultural midpoint. I think it could of an important clue to social development - although it may seem like a circus. I am sure we will be back again next year! :)
http://www.astronor.com

Yesterday I was thumbing through The Book of World Horoscopes by Nicholas Campion (revised edition) and found on page 465, where he is listing countries' rulerships with reference to Raphael's Mundane Astrology and other authorities, that the Caucasus is ruled by Taurus. The South Caucasus comprises Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan. Also from the map on page 464, where we can trace how Lilly, according to Campion, assigned the rulerships, it appears that Azerbaijan is ruled by Taurus as part of the Caucasus which is under rulership of Taurus. Lilly himself mentions that Armenia is ruled by Gemini.

If it is so, the lights being disposed by Venus, who happened to have rulership over the hour, is a testimony in itself, and we scarcely need look for a more convincing one. But there are 2 signs ruled by Venus, Taurus and Libra, should we give preference to her masculine or fenimine domicle?

Then I advice to look where the Moon, her dispositor, the ruler of the hour and the cusp of the 4th and its ruler are and judge by majority of testimonies. The techique is the same as if we were looking for a missing object. Start with the Moon; she happened to be in Eastern Quarter of Heaven but a little bit leaning to South (11th house). She is in Libra, an airy sign. This describes the quality of the place (country), for example, mountains.

The Moon's placement in this or other quarter of heaven indicates the direction (E, S, W, N), the sign she is in the quality of the place. She's applying by opposition to Venus, who is the lady hour and her dispositor, placed in Aries, an Eastern sign, about to enter into her fenimine domicile Taurus.

The cusp of the 4th happened to be in Pisces. This also describes the place but not direction (the 4th is always North). Pisces indicate to the closiness of water (the Caspian Sea). Pisces and Jupiter rules oil. Azerbaijan is rich of oil. Jupiter the ruler of the 4th is in Aries, an Eastern sign. These all direct hour view to East.

I am convinced that the extra swift Moon just seperated from R Saturn and run into Via Combusta had much to do with the winning entry "Running scared". The success of J.Frawley's method to move the 10th cusp until its meets a planet by an aspect lies in the perfect understanding of the symbolism of the planet which we need to reveal.
In this case, we did not need to rack our brains how the planets are associated with lyrics but to stand by the more convincing testimony (the lights disposed by Venus) which one alone gave the correct result. 8)

Goca asked:
If someone know which astrosign are these countries, please post:

Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Slovakia, Ukraine, Moldova, Estonia, Lithuania (Aries or Capricorn?), Belarus, Latvia.
Georgia is ruled by Taurus (Nicholas Campion, The Book of World Horoscopes, p.465).

Yesterday I was racking my brain about how to assign rulerships to countries. I would start tampering with the following method; I will describe it on the bacground of a specific example.

Take, for instance, Poland. According to Lilly, Poland is under the rulership of Taurus.

As the 12th, 11th and 10th houses indicate the Eastern quarter of heaven, so the 12th, 11th and 10th signs (Aries, Pisces, Aquarius) counting from Taurus would indicate East. Gemini, Cancer and Leo would be North (like 1st, 2nd and 3rd houses belong to the Nothern Quarter). Do the same with the Southern Quarter and the West Quarter. Note that the 10th, 7th, and the 4th signs overlap. So Aquarius (the 10th sign from Taurus) would indicate directly to South, Leo directly to North and so on.

Lithuania lies North - East from Poland. Direct North from Taurus is Leo, but we need a refinement East, which would point to Cancer or Gemini. Gemini is more to East (association with the 1st house) than North, but Lithuania lies more to North than East to Poland. So Cancer would be more appropriate than Gemini. Latvia is directly North from Lithuania, so Virgo or Libra will fit. As some parts of Latvia's Southern territory are more South than Nothern parts of Lithuania's territory, Virgo will fit better.
Belarus is East to Poland, so Aires will fit.
:P

Janis,
Pop by and have a look at the thread at the mundane section on the Eurovision (Link) as we have diverted into a discussion on the Via Combust. Your opinion and contribution is both welcome and interesting. :'
Janis wrote:Yesterday I was thumbing through The Book of World Horoscopes by Nicholas Campion (revised edition) and found on page 465, where he is listing countries' rulerships with reference to Raphael's Mundane Astrology and other authorities, that the Caucasus is ruled by Taurus. The South Caucasus comprises Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan. Also from the map on page 464, where we can trace how Lilly, according to Campion, assigned the rulerships, it appears that Azerbaijan is ruled by Taurus as part of the Caucasus which is under rulership of Taurus. Lilly himself mentions that Armenia is ruled by Gemini.
I have been associating Armenia with Libra. However, I see you quote Lilly who says Gemini. I'll put it in the bag. Azerbaijan could have a Libra quality to it - or something that is more specifically indicated by Venus in Aries. Either way, this contest is a gem for discussing problems like this and making observations.

I have been associating Armenia with Libra.
Andrew, that makes sense according to my theory how to assign rulerships to the countries. Armenia lies directly West from Azerbaijan.
Assume Azerbaijan is Taurus, then the West angle will combrise Libra, Virgo and Leo (6th, 5th and 4th sign from Taurus counting as the 1st in order of signs).

May be we should open a thread in the mundane section how to assign rulerships to the countries?

Hi,

Interesting discussion.

One observation I made about this contest came when Finland's Paradise Oskar talked about his poor placement in the finals. In the semi-finals he had come third and had a lot of support, but in the final he dropped to the 21st place, not quite last, but almost. His comment was that something strange happened between the semi-final and the final and when I looked at the charts I noticed that between the semi-final on the 10th and the final on the 14th Mars had slipped from Aries into Taurus. For Paradise Oskar this was obviously a bad switch as he was born Oct 23rd 1990 and has the Sun and Mercury conjunct in either the last degree of Libra or the first degree of Scorpio depending on what time of the day he was born.
If Azerbaijan is associated with Taurus Mars entrance in that sign was obviously good, especially as the title of their song strongly relates to this placement. Mars in Taurus could well be the coward running scared, couldn't it?

Erna

The Finnish entry!!
How could I forget! Thank you ea! :'
ea wrote:One observation I made about this contest came when Finland's Paradise Oskar talked about his poor placement in the finals. In the semi-finals he had come third and had a lot of support, but in the final he dropped to the 21st place, not quite last, but almost. His comment was that something strange happened between the semi-final and the final.
I absolutely agree!

The Finnish entry was definately a song that could have won the entire contest on another day. In fact there were so many songs that could have made it, since there was a such a wide spectre of categories and expressions of culture. Personally, I gave a vote to Serbia in the semi-final, but then when it came to the finals I threw a penny after the UK - although I thought their performance was below par and didn't stand out in any way.

The shift in the voting could be explained by 'Head to Head' contesting and that different songs were competing for the same votes. Say, if there had been a lot of ballades then these would up against one another for the same segnment of voters. And in the final the participation of the big five was also cause of a vote redistribution. One of the greatest surprizes, in my mind, was probably Italy coming 2nd. I didn't see that one. And probably the fact that none of the forehand favorites came among the top three, but these places were taen by Azerbaijan, Italy and Sweden.

Goca wrote:If someone know which astrosign are these countries, please post:
Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Slovakia, Ukraine, Moldova, Estonia, Lithuania (Aries or Capricorn?), Belarus, Latvia.
Probably better to run this discussion at the mundane section. However, I think the question should be treated in the same manner as a nation subdivides into various cities. I.e. England is Aries; but London is Gemini, Liverpool is Scorpio, Birmingham Virgo, etc. In the case of previous the USSR, ruled by Taurus, states would subdivide into their separate identities when the 'mothering' etiquette was no longer a consideration.

Andrew wrote:
Probably better to run this discussion at the mundane section. However, I think the question should be treated in the same manner as a nation subdivides into various cities. I.e. England is Aries; but London is Gemini, Liverpool is Scorpio, Birmingham Virgo, etc. In the case of previous the USSR, ruled by Taurus, states would subdivide into their separate identities when the 'mothering' etiquette was no longer a consideration

Hi Andrew,

I have been meaning to set up a thread like this since the world cup last summer. Things keep getting in the way. I am interested in getting to the bottom of these associations. I think we might get better quality and quantity of responses on the traditional forum though. From initial research there appear to be several different ways signs are linked to countries. They are obviously not all based on foundational charts. Ptolemy's directional method which you seem to be alluding to divides the world into quadrants with sub-divisions within each. Many of his associations are still used. For example, Britain=Aries, Spain Sagittarius etc. Other early astrologers use different techniques and have different associations. For example Hephaistio of Thebes states that Iberia (Spain) is linked to the sign of Scorpio. Moreover, Vettius Valens links countries to constellations rising in that latitude. The Persian and Arab astrologers added to this approach with foundational charts for dynasties and cities and this was largely adopted by Latin and renaissance astrologers with some innovations. On top of this modern astrologers such as Rex E. Bills, in his The Rulership Book, (American Federation of Astrologers, 1978) appears to give associations for modern countries using quite different criteria. Its a real muddle of methods that requires a thorough look.

Andrew wrote:
I have been associating Armenia with Libra.
Ptolemy assigns it to Gemini. However, it had much larger territory in the classical period including much of modern NE Turkey.

Andrew wrote:
In the case of previous the USSR, ruled by Taurus

Incidentally, traditional sources have Russia ruled by Aquarius. I am talking about the traditional signs linked to countries are you getting Taurus for the USSR from a specific chart?

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Janis Valkovskis wrote:
Yesterday I was thumbing through The Book of World Horoscopes by Nicholas Campion (revised edition) and found on page 465, where he is listing countries' rulerships with reference to Raphael's Mundane Astrology and other authorities, that the Caucasus is ruled by Taurus. The South Caucasus comprises Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan. Also from the map on page 464, where we can trace how Lilly, according to Campion, assigned the rulerships, it appears that Azerbaijan is ruled by Taurus as part of the Caucasus which is under rulership of Taurus. Lilly himself mentions that Armenia is ruled by Gemini.
We really need a thread on this! I will start one up on the traditional forum. Please repost these kind of comments. Its very interesting.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Hi all,

This is my first post.
Took me a while to get on board here.

The Eurosong contest is among the examples I use in an experimental method I have been playing with recently.
It has some similarity to astrocartography, but is rather different at the same time.
You can find it here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/55634521/astrodirections

I am welcoming feedback about it. Meanwhile I am busy creating a little software application to make the calculations easier. Hope to release it as freeware soon. Stay tuned.

Looking to apply it for contests, sports and other, but also financial applications may be possible.
Danny VdB

---------