Gunman Rampage in Cumbria, England

Twelve people were killed on June 2nd by a gunman who went on the rampage across Cumbria in north-west England. Taxi driver Derrick Bird shot dead a colleague at a Taxi rank in the town of Whitehaven, before driving through the countryside apparently targeting people at random.

Twenty five others were injured, three critically and five seriously. Mr Bird's body was found in a wooded area in Boot in the Lake District, where a shotgun and a rifle fitted with a telescopic sight were recovered. He is believed to have killed himself. So far the murders have no obvious motivation as the gunman was generally described as ?normal? and not anti-social. He had recently become a grandfather.

The mass shooting is the United Kingdom's worst since 1996, when Thomas Hamilton killed 16 children and their teacher in an attack at a school in Dunblane, Scotland. The latest series of shootings has come as a particular shock in the UK which since the Dunblane massacre has legislated amongst the toughest gun control laws in the world. Unlike societies such as the USA, Australia or Finland such attacks are extremely rare in the UK.

According to Cumbria Police officers were called to Duke Street in Whitehaven at 1035AM BST after reports that shots were fired by a man. This appears to be when Derrick Bird shot his first victim. I have therefore erected a chart for this time as the beginning of the murderous gun spree.
In the event chart Mars is located in the first house. Mars was Lord 8 in the Aries Ingress Chart located for London in 2010. Mars is on the antiscion of the chart MC degree. Mars by zodiacal projection is closely conjunct the fixed star Alfard in the constellation of Hydra the Serpent. According to Ptolemy the star is of the nature of Saturn and Venus. Vivian Robson states it can represent ? lack of self control, immorality, revolting deeds and a sudden death by drowning, poison or asphyxiation. (The Fixed Stars and Constellations, VivianRobson, p.130.)
The Moon is separating from a trine to the Sun ( Lord 12 in the Aries Ingress chart) and applying to a trine of Mercury. However, Mercury is also on the contra-antiscion of the Moon. Jupiter (Lord of the 8th house) is conjoining Uranus and in partile contra-antiscion to it. Venus the MC ruler is conjunct the south node and in the 12th house ( whole sign). Saturn is in an applying opposition to Uranus and in antiscion to it. Saturn is Lord 7 in the event chart and disposits the Moon in Aquarius in the 6th house. The MC degree of the chart in close proximity to the malefic fixed star Sharatan which is located in the head of the constellation of Aries. According to Ptolemy the star is of the nature of Mars and Saturn. Vivian Robson states the star can represent ?bodily injuries, unscrupulous defeat, destruction by fire, war or earthquake.? (Robson, p.208.)
Last edited by Mark on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

I personally have to say that I never understood the interest in event charts...

I would suggest that the chart of the solar and lunar eclipses give a lot more interesting indications.

For instance see the relationships between the planets in the lunar eclipse and the transits of the event chart. I think you will find it interesting.
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

I personally have to say that I never understood the interest in event charts... I would suggest that the chart of the solar and lunar eclipses give a lot more interesting indications.
Hello Yuzuru,

I only put this chart up to get the thread going and share data. It wasn't meant to be the final word in analysis. Members are more than welcome to post delineation of an eclipse, Ingress or pre-lunation chart. I am happy to put up any of these charts either in isolation or as a Biwheel in comparison to the event chart. Care to offer us some delineation yourself Yuzuru? As the Quakers say 'Better to light one candle than curse the darkness'. What better way to enlighten forum members here to the power of traditional technique? :wink:

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

For instance see the relationships between the planets in the lunar eclipse and the transits of the event chart. I think you will find it interesting.
Its always difficult to make sense out of a senseless act, most event charts for random acts of violence are often equally random to the eyes of the astrologer, even the Gaza flotilla attack could be said to come under that category. Eclipse charts certainly help add some focus in that regard.

AC t conj MA in Leo (anger/violence) in L. Eclp chart.

MA closely opp NE in both charts (disillusioned/all hopes are dashed)

MA/NE opp across 1st/7th axis (dispute with business/life partners).

MA rules 4th (dispute with family)

JU/UR opp SA across 2nd/8th axis (major cause of dispute is likely to be around money/other peoples money/inheritance).

SA on 3rd cusp opp UR on 9th cusp

Mind and Judgement clouded by SA/UR( frustrating circumstances/thwarted independence ).

finally I suspect the root of the problem is..

MO sabian - Two Birds On A Fence.

Argument with brother over territory; unreasoning jealousy.
Mad Daz's Place, quiet but never boring
http://pinkmelon.proboards82.com/index.cgi

According to Cumbria Police officers were called to Duke Street in Whitehaven at 1035AM BST after reports that shots were fired by a man. This appears to be when Derrick Bird shot his first victim.
Hi Mark,

First victims appear to be his twin brother and a family solicitor..this was some time before 10 am. He then went on a murder spree starting approx 10.35 am.

First victims appear to be his twin brother and a family solicitor..this was some time before 10 am. He then went on a murder spree starting approx 10.35 am.

Damn. Another great analysis spoiled by the minor detail of the wrong data. :lol:

Source for new time please?

Thanks

Mark

No time given as yet apart from 'before 10 am' from Telegraph.
Thanks,

Realistically, unless there are surviving witnesses to these first shootings I suppose we cannot expect to ever get an accurate time.

Mark

We'll probably get better reports of times as news filters through from police investigations over the coming days. In the meantime, this is copied from the Evening Times website:

HOW THE KILLING SPREE UNFOLDED...

Shortly before 10am ? Bird leaves his home in Rowrah. His first victim is thought to be his twin brother David. Family solicitor Kevin Commons is also believed to have been killed.
10.35am ? Emergency services are called to Duke Street, Whitehaven, after shots are fired. Bird guns down colleagues, killing at least one later named as Darren Rewcastle. Bird is seen driving through the town with his gun hanging out of the car window. Shortly after, police tell people in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale to stay indoors.
From 11am ? Kenneth Fishburn, a retired Sellafield worker in his 60s, is shot dead on a bridge in Egremont.
A woman, thought to be in her 60s and carrying shopping, is also killed in the town. Bird moves to the village of Wilton where two more are shot dead. He then heads for Gosforth where he shoots Garry Purdham at point blank range as he works in a field. In nearby Seascale cyclist Michael Pike, 64, and Jane Robinson, in her 70s and who is delivering catalogues, are both killed and a landlord ? named locally as Harry Berger ? is shot in the arm.

12.41pm - Officers name the suspect and issue a photo of him.
1.04pm - Police say that Bird has abandoned his car near the hamlet of Boot and is believed to be on foot.
1.30pm - The Sellafield nuclear plant near Seascale locks its doors.
1.40pm - Bird?s body is found in woods near Boot.
5.25pm - Deputy Chief Constable Stuart Hyde says 12 people were killed and 25 injured. There area investigations at a total of 30 separate crime scenes.
8.20pm - The Queen says she is ?deeply shocked? by the shootings and shares the country?s ?grief and horror?.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/edit ... -1.1032448

Its amazing how quickly Wikipedia builds its pages on these events. They have given the birthdate of the killer, Derek Bird as 8 October 1957. Since his own twin brother was his first murder victim, even without a time that birth date is going to prove very interesting for analysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

Since his own twin brother was his first murder victim, even without a time that birth date is going to prove very interesting for analysis.
Thanks Deb,

In England that means the birth certificates should record their separate times of birth yes?

Mark

Since I believe that many mundane events can be traced to individual actions, I believe that looking at the gunman's chart is the main thing to do.

A quick look at his chart shows several important transits. Neptune conjunct natal Venus, Pluto square Moon and square Mercury. If these transits could be used to correct the chart one can go two ways. If he was born before 2:00AM then the Pluto transit would have touched his natal Moon (otherwise next year(s)), if he was born late after ca. 22:00PM Pluto is transiting very close to natel Mercury and the Neptune conjunct natal Venus is more exact. Birth at ca. 18:00 gives a Neptune transit semi-square to natal Moon.

So there's an accumulation of transits, maybe the current Saturn opp. Jupiter/Uranus affects one of his angles.

If he was born before 2:00AM then the Pluto transit would have touched his natal Moon

To be honest there seems very little wrong with the chart but then again we have to remember that he is a twin and this seems to cause problems for the astrologer. His twin probably has a very similar chart but accounts suggest that he is very different, much more outgoing and extrovert whereas Derek is quiet and unassuming. The sabian degrees suggest that this is a problem here and that Derek is jealous of his twin brother so I've rectified the chart to take this into account.

A 1. 45 AM GMT birth-time gives

PL t to MO

It also puts PL on the LEO AC

Transit of MA-MO opp NE directly across natal AC/DC axis.

Also a satellium of planets in the 2/3H opposing the Moon as singleton in 8th house (finances/inheritance).