Implications of an empty 7th house.

I am a woman in my early sixties who has avoided significant relationships almost all my adult life. I am struggling now to reverse that but I wonder if this is futile as my own 7th house is empty and ruled by Neptune. Have you dealt with many such houses and seen a trend? My natal Neptune in Libra is squared to Venus and Moon in Cancer. It's very odd, but as the 7th is also the house of open enemies, I have had many of those! :-? Should this empty house dissuade me from trying, or to rephrase, is the Universe trying to tell me something? Please share your experience and views. Thanks

Empty houses don't mean the area of life indicated has to be empty. Every chart has some empty houses. My wife has an empty 7th house and look how well she did - she got me! Mary Shelly, known for being a writer, had an empty 3rd house. Winston Churchill, a great statesman, had an empty 10th. You give rulership to Neptune indicating Pisces is on the 7th. Try looking at Jupiter as the ruler of the 7th to see if that throws some light on what you wish to know. Don't give up.

Tom

Lakwind, I'd suggest you to post the chart, as it is very difficult to discuss this with only an explanation of effects and possible reasons.
Paulo Felipe Noronha

Hi Lakewind,

I have an empty 7th and have been married twice, the first time for 7 years and to my current husband for 30 years, and still happily. I give thanks to Venus (L7) in Libra for this, the only essentially dignified planet I can lay claim to in my natal chart.

As Tom says, look to see what Jupiter's story is in your chart as Jupiter would be traditional ruler of a Pisces 7th. And yes, don't give up -- it's not over till it's over.

Tara

Tom wrote: My wife has an empty 7th house and look how well she did - she got me!
Though hardly can anything I say here sound this powerful :lol: , I will try to share my view! :lala

There are 12 signs and 12 houses and 7 (or 10, if you like) planets)- some houses ought to stay empty. But the rulerships do not disappear! I've seen many empty 7th houses in the charts of people with very stable marriages which, in a way, makes sense; multiple planets, interceptions, sometimes multiple applications..they all support multiple options if not multiple activities whilst having a decent, unafflicted ruler of the 7th can often bring about a long-lasting marriage (or relationship).
My first "real" boyfriend has a stellium of planets inside the 7th; whenever we'd break up (and we were only 20 at the time), he'd get married to someone and separate after only 2 months. :D He has had about 5-6 wives already (he is 33 now).

But, besides the 7th cusp and the applications (as well as the general shape) of its ruler, you should also give the natural significators of marriage a better look (when I say marriage, I mean- long lasting relationships, of course); for women, those would be masculine planets - the Sun and Mars. Finally, your ascendant ruler and its aspects (place, shape etc.) should be descriptive of how you approach the relationships. Having a promise for multiple marriages does not necessarily mean that a person will marry twice. For what it's worth, a person with a promise for 3 marriages (the Sun, Mars, L7..) might not be interested in getting married in the first place (the shape of L1, Venus in the chart of a female person etc.will shed some better light onto that part) and might actually stay alone without being at all disturbed by that fact.
I think that you have actually put your finger onto one of the most important factors when you said that you had avoided serious relationships almost all your adult life. One part of the possible reasons is obviously hidden within your heart and emotional being. In such situations, the problems usually arise when what one gets (as a result of one's own behaviour, attitude etc.) is not what one actually wants i.e. when a person is not genuinely interested in staying single only intuitively does the things that usually have this state as a consequence. I'm not talking about you in particular here, of course.
The opposite of this would be a person who does want a steady relationship and marriage only is unable to establish one despite all of her/his efforts. Here we have to admit that the blockages and obstacles sometimes do come from outside and that they cannot always be put under our command and controlled- sometimes a spouse will simply say that he was leaving with someone else no mater what the other half does or feels.

Of course, there is another something and, oddly enough, most of the cases that i have seen so far, belong to this group. I call it the :" I want it, I'm doing everything right and yet, nothing is happening!" group. :)
The answer to this problem is usually hidden in the "i'm doing everything right" part because we are not always aware of the fact that, by doing what seems like a good move, we are actually causing even more damage. A good astrological reading can often shed a much better light onto the Native's attitude and allow him/her to see their own actions from another angle - it often comes as a huge relief because it is so much better to know that you can change something then to believe that you're doomed forever, ain't it so?! :)
So, here, we're back to your Ascendant ruler and often to the aspects that Saturn makes with some of the relevant planets (periods of loneliness, apparent coldness etc.).
It's very odd, but as the 7th is also the house of open enemies, I have had many of those!
This actually isn't all that strange! It goes beyond just numbers- the shape of the 7th (and its ruler) along with your Ascendant ruler and other relevant placements/aspects should tell us how you deal with people represented by this house. Having many enemies does not necessarily mean that you would eventually lose all your battles with them- some people have many enemies and yet manage to win every single war. Some have one single enemy who hunts them all their life. Well balanced influences pertaining to the 7th should result in stabile relationships with people described by the 7th and in satisfactory results (for the Native) regardless of the type of activity or people described by that house. From enemies whose attacks are successfully avoided or who are defeated to romantic relationships that are stabile, solid and long-lasting. So, to summarize- the relationships described by the 7th should be pleasant and should work for us (if it's an enemy, then we do not want it anywhere near us and try to make peace with him, to avoid him, to defeat him. If it's a husband or a loved one- we want him/her close and forever etc.)
I am struggling now to reverse that but I wonder if this is futile as my own 7th house is empty and ruled by Neptune
Like the other astrologers here, i use traditional rulers but, generally speaking, there is a good reason for giving Neptune the rulership over Pisces - they're of the same nature. (There's a good reason why traditional astrologers yet don't use it as the ruler of Pisces- it is unbelievably slow! :) ). No matter what the rest of the picture (chart) says, every aspect of our life will always carry the "style" of the astrological sign that rules its representative house. The 7th cusp ruled by Pisces says a lot about the quality of our relationships and even about the husband-s (or the type of men that we generally attract or are attrarcted to) It is not just Jupiter in this case- it's a Piscean Jupiter.
Last edited by aglaya on Thu May 06, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

wow

How interesting all the views are. Aglaya, I know I fit the category of sabotaging relationships unconciously and impulsively, and I pretty much know why at this stage of life. my sister and I are preparing ourselves for our father's death as so much of what has been wrong with our rlationships have been because of his influence on our personality. Right now I am trying to get what is impossible: closure on failed parental relationships. What do you see, everyone, in the natal chart which might help with this? And thank you all so much. Hint: both parents had their Pluto conjunct my Venus and Moon, and fairly close to my sister's moon. Thanks, again. Here's the chart.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mars is square to Ascendant and could give a blockade in relationship. Venus, Moon, Mercury, Sun group in house XI. I wonder if this would mean if this indicates rather friendships with men than relationships. Although Moon is in Cancer I think that the fact she is waning and very close to the Sun makes her quite weak. In short, I wouldn't focus only on the VIIth house.

margherita wrote:
Which kind of men you like, if I can ask? Mars type? or sweeter?
I'd say that she loves handsome, masculine, strong men. :) I'm actually pretty sure about this- our Ascendant is at the same degree. The ruler of the 5th is Saturn (older men, serious, dark-haired men, strong) and placed in Leo (masculine again, proud, fatal..). The 7th ruler is inside the rulership of Mars- fiery types again. Still, ith this Cancerian Sun, we are probably talking about warm people, family types, protectors and so on.
I think that the fact she is waning and very close to the Sun makes her quite weak
It is, indeed, an interesting placement. We have the two luminaries very close to each other and the Ascendant ruler trapped between them and walking in unnatural motion. All this is actually happening near the point of the exaltation of Jupiter (the 7th ruler). Mercury certainly has a better immunity for the sunbeamst han other planets do but it is very close to the sun and retrograde. In this motion it is actually applying to the cadent ruler of the 7th inside the 3rd. It could be an indication of an "innapropriate" approach, potential blindedness and sometimes - wrong steps. The planets (moon) also seems to be "thorn apart" between the two principles (male and female) that can be manifested in all sorts of ways- the native's relationship with her parents, her own inner struggles if not even other people's relationships ( love triangles). I'm aware that this assumption might be a bit far-fetched but I'm just trying to share my impressions on this placement and I hope that lakewind will not mind.
Last edited by aglaya on Thu May 06, 2010 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.