UK General Election-May 6th 2010

As anticipated the British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has announced the date of the next general election will be May 6th.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... 603591.stm

The election will give us the chance to predict the result through various kinds of chart. I will be posting up more information for members on these.

For starters though I thought I would put up the data and attempt to delineate the close of poll chart. This occurs at 10.00pm on May 6th.

Its an interesting chart. Here is the main data:

Time: 22:00 (British Summer Time)
Date: Thursday, May 6th

Angles:
ASC: 3'01 Sag
MC: 29'23 Virgo

Planets:
Moon: 23'48 Aquarius
Sun: 16'13 Taurus
Merc Rx: 03'37 Taurus
Venus: 14'08 Gemini
Mars: 14'47 Leo
Jupiter: 24'56 Pisces
Saturn Rx: 28'18 Virgo
Uranus: 29'13 Pisces
Neptune: 28'32 Aquarius
Pluto Rx: 5'11 Capricorn

Parts & Nodes
Part of Fortune: 25'26 Aquarius
North Node: 14'58 Capricorn

Note: I am using both Whole sign and quadrant/ house division (Placidus houses). I have assessed the chart using the traditional way of delineating an Ingress chart. Thus the incumbent government is 10th house/Lord 10 and opposition is 4th house /Lord 4. However, I suppose one might also approach it as a competition chart with the incumbents (Lord1) and their opponents (Lord7). How do others view this?

The most striking configuration is the Saturn-Uranus opposition falling precisely on the MC/IC axis. Saturn is in its own term but is retrograde. This situation may in part reflect Saturn's role as the 2nd house ruler(whole sign and by sign division). UK politics is currently dominated by the concerns of how to repay the enormous loans that were required to save the UK Banking system (and economy) from collapse. Regardless of party all the sides are committed to dramatic reductions in public spending. Less publicised is the likely increase in taxation facing voters too.

Saturn is predominant in the chart. It not only sits right on the MC but is the dispositor of both the Moon and POF in Aquarius. The Moon next applies to Neptune. Perhaps reflecting the parliamentary confusion after the election. This might also indicate the Moon as Lord 8 ( Whole sign and by sign division) reflecting the loss of momentum and the pressures on the UK economony imposed by debts. Similarly, in traditional moeity orbs the Moon is void of course as it makes no Ptolemaic aspects to traditional planets within moeity orb. Not a good sign. Although personally I tend to use the Hellenistic orb for the Moon of 12-13 degrees. In any case a financial crisis or 'run on sterling' does not seen too outlandish a scenario.

Uranus may reflect the unique nature of this election. According to the latest opinion poll a 'hung' parliament with no party having overall control is more likely than ever. Beyond this may well be the last general election since 1918 fought under the First past the Post electoral system (simple plurality system). Both Labour and the Liberal Democrats favour changing the electoral system. More fundamentally, Uranus in Pisces on the IC may symbolize the really drastic shift away from public sector/ social funding required to to return the UK to a sound financial footing. This is strengthened by Jupiter in Pisces opposing Saturn in Virgo. Its saving money vs compassion and the former is literally on top of national priorities right now.

Mercury disposits the MC and is retrograde. Its under the Suns beams but moving away from this. A nice piece of symbolism for Government attempts to reverse the damage caused by the boom and Banking crisis. Mercury falls in the 6th house in Taurus (whole sign). This government is slow hard work for everyone concerned.

The 11th house (representing Parliament) is ruled by Venus in Gemini. This could well indicate the kind of communication and co-operation required to manage a coaltion government. Mercury in Taurus disposits Venus and is disposited itself by Venus. There is no ptolemaic aspect so its not a mutual reception but there is a generousity or liberality involved. Mercury is also the triplicity ruler of Venus. This could be another clue that Parliament will be involved in a much wider way than normal in governing the UK.

In terms of fixed stars we have Acrab (called Graffias by Vivian Robson) right on the Ascendant degree. Acrab is a triple star located on the head of the Scorpion. This traditionally malefic star very close to the ecliptic. I have found it more than bears out this poor reputation.Acrab ( aka Akrab) is known as Frons Scorpii or 'Crown of the Forehead'. According to Ptolemy it is of the nature of Mars and Saturn. According to Deborah Houlding 'like Antares, it is capable of bestowing great honour and power, but its benefits are easily corrupted and abused, and attended by danger and violence.' Ebertin and Hoffman claim that the star is credited with giving an ability to do research, especially into things of a hidden or secret nature but they warn of an indication of mass destruction in mundane maps, when Acrab is angular and attended by Mars, Saturn or Uranus. Although not conjuct these planets Acrab is in paran with Saturn on the MC.....

The fixed star Bellatrix is setting on the western horizon in London at the time of the Chart. Bellatrix, 'The Female Warrior', is on the left shoulder of Orion. Ptolemy recorded its nature as like Mars and Mercury and, its influence is to promote civil or military honours. It has associations both with women and talkativeness. None of the British main political parties have female leaders at present. The 7th house represents other countries and open enemies (not allies which are 11th house ). I supose its possible the Afghan war could become a subsequent issue after the election. The star is in paran with Saturn. Mars (Lord 5& 12) is in the 9th house (whole sign) and squaring Lord the Sun (Lord 9). Its interesting to see Bellatrix in this chart on an angle as it is on the MC of the UK Aries Ingress chart. A major terrorist incident would also fit the symbolism here ( esp of Acrab)

Less dramatically the setting Bellatrix may just symbolise the end of the election campaign 'war of words'

What do others think?

So how will the election turn out for the parties?

There are actually 6 possibilities:

1 An overall Labour party majority= Labour government
2 An overall Conservative party majority=Conservative government
3 A Liberal-Labour coalition Government
4 A Liberal-Conservative coalition government
5 A minority Labour party government
6 A minority Conservative party government.

If we take Lord 10 as the current government Saturn Rx on the MC doesn't look good for the current administration. Mercury is in the 6th house (whole sign) or 5th ( Sign division). However, mercury is not placed in or aspecting an angle. Lord 4 -Jupiter on the other hand (representing the opposition) is aspecting the IC and by sign division angular in the 4th house (using 5 degree rule). Still its opposing Saturn. Reflecting the fact that no party in power can ignore the looming responsibility of the UK national debt.

Jupiter seems to be the symbolism fitting the Conservatives best. I have taken the exaltation ruler as the significator for the Liberal Democrats. This is Venus. Angular, disposited by mercury (MC ruler) and in a bicorporal sign. This strengthens the idea of parties entering negotiations to form part of the next government. With their significator being in Gemini The Liberal democrats will be keeping their options open! In fact they may shift alliance. The only thing giving me second thought is that Venus does not apply to any planets by aspect. The square to Jupiter is outside either moeity or fixed orb of Jupiter. However, the genousity to Mercury may mitigate this to some extent.

The Liberal Democrats will probably offer alliance first to with the largest party in the next parliament. At present that could be either Labour or the Conservartives. There is little doubt the Conservatives are doing slightly better in the opinion polls. However, the vagaries of the current electoral system favour Labour. So the Labour party could very well poll less votes but form the largest party.

The Conservatives will probably be the largest party based on the chart (Lord 4 its its domicile and angular). In the chart Jupiter is also the planetary day and hour ruler. However, to form an overall majority of seats the Conservatives would need the biggest electoral swing in their favour since the 1930's. The current polls suggest that will not happen. The Liberals would prefer a coalition with Labour (Mercury dispositor) . However, the Labour party will be in a weak position. So the coalition with Labour may not be possible. (Venus in fall in Virgo) The Liberals will enter into negotiations with the Conservatives. A coalition is possible. Venus does disposit Jupiter by exaltation. The Liberals do hold influence. The attraction doesn't appear mutual though. There are no applying aspects or mutual reception. There may be fundamental differences on how the cuts should proceed.

I suspect the Conservatives will try to govern alone as a minority government at some point if they have enough seats. Minority parties rejecting co-alition have ruled the UK before. Although, not for long. Cameron may seek to call another general election later in the year if he feels he is in a stronger position to form a majority. If negotiotions break down with the Conservatives the Liberals will have less problems working with Labour. For this to happen though the two parties will need to form an overall majority of seats. However, I suspect Labour will not have enough seats to make this a realistic option.

Feel welcome to challenge my approach. Should I have used the intercepted ruler of the 4th (Mars) to symbolize the lesser of the two opposition parties? Is splitting the two opposition parties by domicile and exaltation ruler a valid approach? Do you prefer seeing such close of poll charts as a straight Lord 1 vs Lord 7 contest?

Please share your views. :'
Last edited by Mark on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Hi, MarkC

I have used three techniques with more or less success in mundane work.

1 - Barbault?s theory of cycles - only place in my astrological kit box that I will use the outer planets (the Three Stooges)

2 - Bernadette Brady?s Visual Astrology - you can see more in her newsletter, but of course, without the references to Pluto and other strange additions. Just the juicy stuff.

3 - The ancient?s doctrine of ingresses and conjunctions.

First let?s see the Aries Ingress. As Matt indicated, I also use the ingress charts as a 10th vs 4th ruler competition. I have used this since 2006 (I believe), after discussions with Steven Birchfield on the Interpres Stellarum list. I can attest that it works, but with limitations.

My main focus was the US system that is very easy (as MarkC have said, it is a two horses system). I tried on Canada, but it didn?t work quite as well, so I will not apply on an parliamentary country without further study!

With Visual Astrology: Brady also only talks about elections on the US. She says that occidental venus gives supports to the party on power. I personally am not sure of this. Venus irradiates mars, but apparently none of the candidates were on the military. With the moon irradiating Jupiter, I would favor the lost of power by the labor power.

With Barbault: You mention saturn-uranus opposition. Although american astrologer usually see this as "new vs old", Barbault would see as a period when the right wing conservative factions movements over the world face some sort of crisis. I wouldn?t use Barbault to predict an specific election, but it may be some advantage for the liberal party (I REALLY don?t undertand british politics).

I would like to make more productive predictions than this random comments, but the truth is that I have to go to work :P
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

Hi Mark
I too don?t have very much time to spare so will dive in with my immediate impression based upon the chart in this thread. The most dramatic feature is Saturn on the MC. Even though this is opp Uranus, it is in its last degrees of Virgo, which makes me think that all of the parties will seem to offer comparatively conservative policies, reflecting a general instinct (even amongst the populace) that we should keep expectations low and ?steady the boat?. Hence I don?t think the political changes will be dramatic, but are likely to be mooted; maybe accompanied by a low turn out at the polls.

The mutable angles and the fact that the MC is changing signs does, however, show a change in leadership, and since it moves from Mercury-in-Taurus-ruled Virgo, to Venus-in-Gemini-ruled Libra, I would say that this points to a coalition government.

Embarrassed to say I don?t understand British politics very well either. I wonder why Saturn is retrograde on the MC ? this seems to describe a last, final (longer-than expected) hang-on to power, before this is relinquished to the new situation. I?ll give some thought to what that might mean and may come back to the thread later with some thoughts on that. For now my summary would be that Labour retain more votes than currently expected, but lose enough power to require a coalition govt.

Deb

PS - BTW, why the close of the polls, rather than the opening of the polls?

PPS - a new thought - I also think the Jupiter-ruled ascendant and change to the Libran MC points to the Liberals doing particularly well (although, it's the Liberals, so not enough to take the leadership, but enough to make us all notice).

Now that (I think) I understand the situation a little better, it seems that what I wrote above makes my prediction number 3 in your list above Mark. That is, I think this describes Gordon Brown remaining Prime Minister (though perhaps not for long after the election) but only by negotiating a pact with the Liberals and forming a coalition government with them. I simply can't see the signals of success for the Conservative party in this chart, and it seems too unlikely that the Liberals will take the election, although I do believe this chart shows them having a dramatic rise in power.

The other thing that caught my eye is that the Moon is separating from an opposition of Mars and a square of Sun, so I think there will be a period of controversy which escalates public anger and annoyance just before the election - maybe something to do with all the transport problems and strikes (Moon in 3rd).

PS - BTW, why the close of the polls, rather than the opening of the polls?
Ah Hah! I made that exact same argument to Andrew last year when he advocated an end of poll chart for Norway. I came up with lots of points. However, he had one 'killer argument' in his favour. Most voting in elections no longer literally start at the opening of polls. Postal votes can be made days before. I thought that was a strong argument in favour of end of poll charts. However, I agree the opening of poll is still a significant moment. I am just not sure its represents the inception moment of the UK election any more.

Although frankly, I am not all that convinced by poll charts. I just took a look as an astrological exercise. I will revisit the UK ingress chart and look at the political party and leaders charts.
The mutable angles and the fact that the MC is changing signs does, however, show a change in leadership, and since it moves from Mercury-in-Taurus-ruled Virgo, to Venus-in-Gemini-ruled Libra, I would say that this points to a coalition government.
Good point. This is something I should have noted. However, what makes you conclude Labour will be the Liberal Democrats coaltion partners? In political terms it makes sense I would just like your astrological explanation if you have time.

Ps Thank you Matt for putting the chart up

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

My rectification for Gordon Brown:
Radix: 20 Feb 1951 08.35.25 UT Giffnock Asc 12ARI04'
Epoch: 27 May 1950 16.47.24 UT Moon 12Lib07'
Dual Test in Topocentric primary directions:
Plu 90 Mars E/R 0'
Plu 150 MC R/E 1'
Nep 120 Sat R/E 1'
Sat 45 Sun E/E 3' (converse)
Sat 150 Sun E/E 4' (direct)
Mars 0 Ura R/E 6'
SN 135 Ura E/R 2'
MC 0 Moon E/E 8'
Sun 90 Jup R/R 5'
Mer 90 Jup R/R 3'
Jup 180 III R/E 10'
The last 3 aspects with Jupiter are very helpful aspects, but he has an accumulation of 7 afflicted aspects.
Secondary directions:
Asc 0 SN E/R 0'
MC 0 Nep E/E 0'
Sun 180 SN E/E 1'
Mars 90 III E/E 2'
Asc 90 SN R/R 1'
MC 120 Mer E/R 4'
III 60 Sun R/E 6'
The first 5 aspects are a clear indication for defeat.
Dual test in PSSR:
Mer 120 Nep R/E 3'
Moon 60 Sat R/E 14'
Moon 90 Plu R/E 12'
Moon 60 Mars E/R 16'
Moon 60 Jup R/R 6'
Only the last aspect indicates success but the other aspects indicate failure.
In the solar return Moon exactly on MC which can imply a major change in career. This Moon is quite afflicted: it is exactly 90 Mars and 150 Saturn.
In the solar return, precession corrected, the triple conjunction of Sun, Jupiter and Venus in 10th house looks good, but Neptune is close to MC, and Sun is 150 Mars and 150 Saturn. Saturn is 90 radical MC.
In the converse solar return, SN close to Asc
In the converse solar return, precession corrected, SN EXACTLY on MC! A clear indication for separation from his position.
In the lunar return for 22 April, Jupiter is on Desc.
In the converse lunar return, Jupiter on IC.
In the demi (harmonic 2) converse lunar return Jupiter on IC.
All the lunar returns are precession corrected.
Such a dominated Jupiter in 3 lunar returns usually indicates success but in the converse lunar return for the epoch Saturn 180 MC.

My prediction is that Gordon Brown will not be elected.
Last edited by Isaac Starkman on Sun May 02, 2010 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Issac wrote:
Such a dominated Jupiter in 3 lunar returns guarantees
a great victory.
Very informative post Issac-- with apt symbolism for victory. I realize the importance of precession corrected Return Charts. I am in the process of learning your other systems of analysis. Could you provide some titles/authors of books you consider important with your predictive analysis.

Thanks & Regards, Steve
With all our modern knowledge and scientific equipment, and with the the great strides made in mathematics, we astrologers have done nothing to even remotely compare with the achievements of the astrologers of antiquity. Cyril Fagan

David Cameron was born on 9 Oct 1966 in London around 6 am GDT, as was given to Annabel Herriott by him "from memory". Rectification of this chart is much more difficult as I have only a few events for him. My rectification is 6.09.48 GDT Asc 3Lib17'.
If you are looking at David Cameron's chart it appears he was actually born at 5.55am rather than 6.00am as normally listed.

Below is a post from the British data authority Frank Clifford made a few years ago here on the mundane forum:
Dear All,
Annabel Herriott told me that David Cameron had rechecked his data with his mother and it was 5.55am, rather than 6am. This may be him trying to be a helpful politician, as astrologers had asked for a more precise birth time than 6am (a time bandied about far more often than chance would have it), or it may be that a more accurate time had actually been found. Either way, it's likely to be the best source we're going to get.
Best wishes Frank Clifford

Re: Reply

Steve wrote:
Issac wrote:
Such a dominated Jupiter in 3 lunar returns guarantees
a great victory.
Very informative post Issac-- with apt symbolism for victory. I realize the importance of precession corrected Return Charts. I am in the process of learning your other systems of analysis. Could you provide some titles/authors of books you consider important with your predictive analysis.

Thanks & Regards, Steve

Hi Steve,
The only books that I can recommend are the 6 books by Alexander Marr. Two of them are still available in Astroamerica, the other 4 books are long out of print. I can send a photocopy of them for the price of the photocopy + postage. If you or anyone is interested write to my email.

steven wrote:Just acouple of questions for you Brits;

Steven
We do not vote for a Prime Minister but for member of parliament who represents our area. If most MP's elected are members of one party then the leader of that party will almost certainly be PM. He will go through the formality of asking the Queen if he can form the next government and that moment could be consisidered the start of his government.

Put generally, as rules differ, the party leader is chosen by the MP's and it could be possible for voters voting for a party because they like the leader and finding after the election the party choosing a new leader.

Another point to consider is that there is no proportional representation so one party could have a majority of the votes cast and yet not have a majority of MP's elected.

Matthew

MarkC wrote:
David Cameron was born on 9 Oct 1966 in London around 6 am GDT, as was given to Annabel Herriott by him "from memory". Rectification of this chart is much more difficult as I have only a few events for him. My rectification is 6.09.48 GDT Asc 3Lib17'.
If you are looking at David Cameron's chart it appears he was actually born at 5.55am rather than 6.00am as normally listed.

Below is a post from the British data authority Frank Clifford made a few years ago here on the mundane forum:
Dear All,
Annabel Herriott told me that David Cameron had rechecked his data with his mother and it was 5.55am, rather than 6am. This may be him trying to be a helpful politician, as astrologers had asked for a more precise birth time than 6am (a time bandied about far more often than chance would have it), or it may be that a more accurate time had actually been found. Either way, it's likely to be the best source we're going to get.
Best wishes Frank Clifford
Thank you Mark for that info. After more checking with my methods I still sure that his true birth time is 6.09.48 am.
I have a very bad experience with mothers as a source for the birth time. When a client tells me that the source of his birth time is his mother, or any other family members, I persuade him to invest the 10-20$ payment for the hospital record. In at least 40% of the cases, there is a great disparity, in some cases, the mother told PM birth time while the birth was actually AM? so this is quite unreliable source. Unfortunately, in England this is in most cases the only possibility. When England will join Scotland and other European countries and start recording OFFICIALLY birth time, not only for twins?...
In that case we are lucky that David Cameron agree to share the data and that his mother's memory wasn't bad: there is no doubt, as far as I can be sure from analyzing his events, that his birth time was indeed AROUND 6.00 am.
What systems do you use that ensure you that he was born at 5.55 am?