Marrs Astro Program

Atlantian or Isaac
Question. I downloaded the Astro program you gave me and downloaded the Astro. I do not see a install or setup file for this program. Can you give me steps to install it. Thanks,

Steve
With all our modern knowledge and scientific equipment, and with the the great strides made in mathematics, we astrologers have done nothing to even remotely compare with the achievements of the astrologers of antiquity. Cyril Fagan

Hello Steve,

UnZip the files into a directory... I called mine "Astro". ;)

You will be running the executable from there, BUT THROUGH THE DOS WINDOW THAT DOSBOX GIVES YOU.

You will have to do two assigns first, so that Astro can find its files. As well, I have it set so that DosBox starts Astro, since I don't use DosBox for anything else... The following is in the config file for DosBox. (It's located in C:\Documents and Settings\James\Local Settings\Application Data\DOSBox on my system)

The following were inserted at the bottom of the file (using Notepad) under the [autoexec] "tag":

mount c c:\Astro
mount d c:\Astro
C:
grafix.bat

Hope this helps!

Peace

Atlantean

Atlantian,

Thanks for the response. I am confused about DosBox. I am not computer literate. A friend set my computer up a long time ago. He partitioned a hard drive and installed DOS and XP on the same hard drive (different partitions of course and fat32 file system). I still have Nova and run it from the C drive (Dos partition) and have a short cut to my XP desktop. Works fine. I see all the executable files in Astro the Astro program (but do not see Astro.exe or anything like that) Sorry to be a burden and position you as computer support. Any help will be appreciated. I would like to get Astro installed. Do I need DosBox if I already have DOS?

Regard, Steve
With all our modern knowledge and scientific equipment, and with the the great strides made in mathematics, we astrologers have done nothing to even remotely compare with the achievements of the astrologers of antiquity. Cyril Fagan

Hello Steve,

It's possible that your machine is already ready to run Astro.

On my system, it definitely required DosBox because I had the wrong filesystem for what Astro expects.

Try starting it from the grafix.bat file and see if it runs...that's the way mine is set up and it starts up fine each time I fire up DosBox.

For you, I would open up a dos window, navigate to the Astro folder and then start grafix.bat and see what happens. If there's any problem ...(like you can't SAVE client data)...then you probably DO need DosBox.

Hope this helps, Steve.

It IS a cool program...and the only way that I know of to get the full PSSR aspects... not to mention Topocentric Primary Directions! ;)

Peace

Atlantean

Reply to Atlantean

Mission accomplished...More questions later. Thanks a lot Atlantian...

Steve