Hi Kirk,
The focus has been on the Aries ingress chart, but I believe there has been no mention of the fact that the early tradition was to use that chart all year only if the ASC was a fixed sign.
There has actually. I gave a link to Deb's article on mundane astrology at the very beginning of the thread. Its mentioned there. Moreover, if you note Matt's post on the Aries Ingress for the UK (London) earlier in this thread you will see he mentions it effects will only last 6 months as a common (mutable sign) is rising in the chart.
Does everyone now pretty much ignore that part of the tradition? .
Well I certainly dont :shock:
I ? just a dabbler ? consider the Aries ingress chart to be valid all year, with all 3 of the other seasonal charts to be important, supported by the lunation charts
That does seem the approach of most modern astrologers. Maybe some of them cant be bothered looking at more than one mundane chart a year!
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

There has actually. I gave a link to Deb's article on mundane astrology at the very beginning of the thread. Its mentioned there.
Yes, It is mentioned in the article, but except for Matt's ?As the rising sign is common we may have to come back in six months time as well? (which I missed) it was appearing to me to be a disregarded procedure in this discussion. I suppose I'm conflating this discussion with others where it also often seems to be the case of not paying much heed to the rising sign's mode. Maybe others have the same feeling as I do, that the 1 year, 6 months and 3 months idea can become a little arbitrary and forced. I can see the case for it being a matter of how 'shifting' things may be, with fixed signs rising showing a solid influence throughout the year, and with mutable and cardinal showing various degrees of flux. But in any case, I see the Aries chart as the foundation chart of the entire year. I'm not so sure if that was the case formerly. I have often been somewhat surprised at how frequently it isn't really discussed these days.

it was appearing to me to be a disregarded procedure in this discussion.
Maybe because most of the thread has got rather focused on this idea of a world chart. There hasn't been that much discussion of practical astrology and actual charts. I was going to discuss the UK Ingress chart here but I decided this thread has got too academic for that.
But in any case, I see the Aries chart as the foundation chart of the entire year. I'm not so sure if that was the case formerly. I have often been somewhat surprised at how frequently it isn't really discussed these days.
Doesn't Indian astrology give primacy to the Capricorn Ingress?
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Maybe because most of the thread has got rather focused on this idea of a world chart. There hasn't been that much discussion of practical astrology and actual charts. I was going to discuss the UK Ingress chart here but I decided this thread has got too academic for that.
There does seem to be a passion around here for fancy talk, opinions and grand theories :). You invited us to come up with some good ol' practical astrology with your opening post:
However, following up my invitation for more prediction on the mundane forum I thought I would ask members to have a go at delineating Aries Ingress charts for their particular location.
Matt was the brave one. The rest of us just slipped into our usual talk mode.

Doesn't Indian astrology give primacy to the Capricorn Ingress?
I haven't the slightest idea. I've tried to put some limits on my dabbling, Indian astrology being a 'Don't go there (yet)' topic.

Well thats the way of threads. They have their own dynamic. Its been an interesting discussion nonetheless. However, I have shifted discussion of the UK Aries Ingress over to the UK General election thread. If any of you want to get your hands dirty with some actual astrological prediction you are most welcome. :D

Mark

MarkC wrote:
Well thats the way of threads. They have their own dynamic. Its been an interesting discussion nonetheless. However, I have shifted discussion of the UK Aries Ingress over to the UK General election thread. If any of you want to get your hands dirty with some actual astrological prediction you are most welcome. :D

Mark
Well, here is an attempt to continue the Aries-ingress thread:

Rather than staying in lurking/studying mode as I usually do, I 'd like to contribute and post some on the Aries-ingress for Belgium. You can look up the chart at my blog here: http://www.hervaro.be/page2/AstroBlog/AstroBlog.html - together with a very thin "reading" (in dutch, to make it easy on you lol). So I guess I 'd better give the headlines here in english (btw, like any astrologer doing predictions, I am sticking my neck out with these blog-articles; not really to become famous, surely not to get decapitated, but mainly to "spread" the word about traditional astrology, and maybe attract new students...).

OK. Virgo rises: mutable sign, so Libra-ingress will have to be studied as well for a complete overview of the year, but anyhow this chart should give the main indicators for what 'll be happening here.
Gemini culminates: Mercury represents both the nation, the people, and the government. Mercury is burnt up by the Sun, hurting and/or overshadowed by some. Is our King over-ruling the people and the government? (ha! we need some context, I suppose? Belgium is a royal democracy: like some other european countries, we still have the Royal House active, but mainly as economic employees rather than wielding political influence...). So the people (L1) could be hurt by the King (Sun); or the government (L10) could be hurt by the King; or some hidden enemy (Sun L12) could go and hurt the people and/or the government...

Seems tricky, but some more context might help:
Belgium is a rather schizophrenic nation, having the north part talking dutch, and the south part talking french (with a tiny german speaking part in the east). The flemish (north) and "les wallons" (south) are - in the political arena anyway-, open enemies: one accuses the other of stealing money and opportunities, and vice versa. There is a political party striving for an independent Flanders, and another one striving for an independent Wallonie. The rest of the zillion political parties seem to want and keep Belgium one nation.
So these 12th house culprits might just be these separatist parties (they don't confess openly they want to split Belgium). Or, it might be our overall administration (3d from 10): on a population of 10 million people, we have had more than 40 ministers, and over 100 secretaries of state. We are the proud owners (?) of 4 governments: the federal one, a flemish, a wallon, a german-speaking one, and the one of the capital region (Brussels).

(back to the reading)
Mercury L1 combust, and Moon on Algol: not good for the people.
Moon also is L11: the nation's troops. Might be we suffer some losses amongst our troops in Afganistan and such (not many, but hey, we 're a tiny nation!).
Or/and it could be that the national treasury gets depleted...
And even though Saturn in the 1st is still exalted, that won't be for long anymore; together with fixed star Benetnash/Alkaid on the ascendant, this all doesn't abode too well for the people and/or the nation... (Benetnash: Destroyer of Nations according to islamic astrologers (http://tinyurl.com/y9ud5ps)).

Now, to stress again the need for context (besides "accompanying charts" like the preceding GC, and/or preciding/following eclipses, lunations,...(as mentioned by Tom, a.o. in other threads)), which of our precious 4 governments would get hit by these calamities? Or, might be it manifests on a/the European level? Who will tell ? (ah yes, the Future javascript:emoticon('')).
I mean, there surely is context to see it work out on a plain national level in Belgium. But Brussels - for where the ingress was cast - also serves as European capital, apart from having our 4 governments residing there!
So Europe (taking into consideration the difficulties with Greek finances, f.i. with Germany and maybe France playing hard to get) delivers also sufficient and relevant context for these chart-readings...
I must confess I get utterly confused by this plethora of possibilities how/where this one chart might/could/should work out and manifest...
javascript:emoticon('')
Distressed in Belgium...
Last edited by hervaro on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herman

http://www.hervaro.be

Hi Distressed in Belgium:)
Thanks for sticking your neck out and giving us the gist of your ideas in English. I feel I should apologise for being instrumental in the drift towards ?usual talk mode? in this thread (Kirk made me do it). I wish I had the time to work on the ingress chart myself, but I suppose that like many other members, I get wrapped up in other projects and then come here in my coffee breaks, when (sometimes) all I can manage is a bit of Astro-drabble whilst taking the opportunity to read someone else?s hard work. I think the idea of linking to a blog-article that is specific to the theme of the thread is a very good use of the forum.
I hope this continues as an ongoing theme, with periodic reviews to see how these predictions work out.

Just my astro-drabbely-thoughts for today
Deb

Rather than staying in lurking/studying mode as I usually do, I 'd like to contribute and post some on the Aries-ingress for Belgium.
Hello Herman,

I'm am very glad you have emerged from a lurker mode. :)

Welcome to the mundane forum. :'

Nice to have a perspective from another part of Europe. Its interesting seeing your delineation because of course apart from the angles and houses the planetary themes are the same everywhere. Thus every ingress chart on the planet has Moon on Algol in this years Aries ingress chart. That combust, VOC Mercury is something many of us have been trying to come to grips with.

Like you I think we need to keep a look out for prominent fixed stars on angles as these will vary from chart to chart. Thus the Ingress chart for the United Kindom (London) has the fixed star Bellatrix on the midheaven in mundo and by zodiacal projection. Of the nature of Mars and Mercury and known as the 'female warrior' it fits well the war of words one can expect during an election campaign.

Hope to see you here on the forum in future. :D

Mark

Thus every ingress chart on the planet has Moon on Algol in this years Aries ingress chart.
Happy you mentioned this Mark. I've seen perhaps four or five discussion of this chart in various places and no one mentions Algol and the Moon. I was beginning to pity poor ol' Algol. Imagine how Freddy Kruger would feel if no one was afraid of him any more.

I've been playing with Morin's book 25 and I am not going to get enough under my belt for the upcoming British elections, but I should be able to do something in time for the American elections in November. However since you mentioned Algol. I was doing some hindsight astrology and cast the Aries Ingress chart for New York City in 2001. There is Algol on the ASC conjunct Saturn. Now that is a warning.

The difference in the US at least between 2001 and Algol conjunct Saturn, and 2010 with Algol conjunct the Moon is that in 2001 the conjunction hit an angle on the day of the Aries Ingress. We might wish to look for those places in the world where the Moon would be angular at the time of the Ingress.

Robson has this one liner for Moon on Algol: "Violent death or extreme sickness." OF course Robson wrote with natal astrology in mind. More generally he notes that the star is associated with mob violence. Since the Moon is the general significator for "the people" this might be worth further investigation.

What is interesting about Morin's methods is that he uses aspects or transits to the new moon position in preference to the phases. These charts in turn would be subordinate to the Aries Ingress. The new moon tomorrow occurs at 24 Aries 27. The transiting Moon will oppose that point on April 27. If we cast a chart for the opposition and set it for London, Algol is on the MC or reasonably close. This is an indication that the potential of the Moon conjunct Algol in the ingress chart could manifest about this time. The Moon however at 27 Libra is conjunct the benefic star Spica, so it may not be that bad. Still it is worth watching.

Tom

Although I'm personally not a proponent of the use of Algol especially because this variable star's effect is simply based upon the Greek myth of the beheading of Medusa by the hero Perseus (which is also the name of the constellation where Algol is found), perhaps there might be something in the ingress chart for Poland. After all after the plane crash Poland had lost its main administrative 'head'. Maybe it's angular in Warsaw.

Although I'm personally not a proponent of the use of Algol especially because this variable star's effect is simply based upon the Greek myth of the beheading of Medusa by the hero Perseus
I have to agree to a point, Eddy, and I'm not crazy about using Algol to any great extent because it is so far off the ecliptic. It seems inconsistent to argue that being close to the ecliptic increases power and then give so much power to something so far away that we really can't say it is at 26 Taurus. But it does have this cosmic bad boy reputation, so we all seem to go along with it.

One point regarding the myth or one of the Medusa myths: The story is one of succumbing to temptation and triumph over it. The Medusa, in one legend was a very beautiful woman. She had snakes for hair but no one is perfect. If you look at her you turn to stone. So why look? That is where the beauty comes in, you are tempted by it. Once you succumb to the temptation you turn to stone or lose your soul. Stone is purely material - nothing else.

So the myth can be viewed as what happens when we cave into the material or sensual for no other reason than it is beautiful or tempting, and we really should be doing something else. Perseus finds a way to overcome the temptation and slay the being that ruined so many. So the myth presents us with a challenge presented to the native. However that challenge manifests the native has a choice to pick up the sword and fight for his soul or give in and become soulless.

At least that is John Frawley's idea and he swears it has nothing to do with the fact that his natal Sun is conjunct Algol.

Tom