William Ramesey on Mundane Astrology-new annotated version

Stephen Birchfield has just released a retyped and annotated version of William Ramesey's Astrologiae Restaurata (Astrology Restored). To be more specific book 4 of the work entitled 'Astrologia Munda'.

This can be downloaded as a free pdf here:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/birchfield.html

Book 4 of Astrologiae Restaurata is a key resource for traditional mundane astrology. Indeed Stephen describes it as 'the closest thing we have to an accessible textbook on traditional mundane astrology'. It will be a valuable resource for any student of the art. Many thanks to Stephen for producing a free retyped and annotated version of the work. :'

Stephen has written a very useful introduction to the work which puts Ramesey's book into its historical context within traditional mundane astrology. :D

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Re: William Ramesey on Mundane Astrology-new annotated versi

MarkC wrote:Stephen Birchfield has just released a retyped and annotated version of William Ramesey's Astrologiae Restaurata (Astrology Restored). To be more specific book 4 of the work entitled 'Astrologia Munda'.
Thanks Steven (and Mark for letting know).
I have the original text but for me- which I'm a foreigner- it's easier to read it like that,

margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

I have the original text but for me- which I'm a foreigner- it's easier to read it like that,
Hi Margherita,

Even for those of us for whom English is a first language the facsimile versions of the book can be heavy going with the old English script. I have a Kessinger edition but its not that good a reproduction. :(

Kim Farnell did do an annotated and reset electronic version of the entire volume of Astrologie Restaurata some years back which can still be purchased via her website.

http://www.kimfarnell.co.uk/work1.htm

However, Kim has worked on a substantially updated version of this for several years which should hopefully see the light of day when Kim gets it published. :wink:

Kim gave a very interesting talk on the life of William Ramesey at the History of Astrology Conference at the Astrological Lodge last year. I believe a recording of the talk can be purchased for anyone interested.

http://www.astrolodge.co.uk/index.php?p=contacts

As many members will know the entire work is also a crucial English language source on electional astrology. Vivian Robson's book on electional astrology was basically a shortened summary of Ramesey's material from Astrologie Restaurata.
Last edited by Mark on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

I am already reading it, and it's amazing. Not only because it's easier, but the comments and introduction adds something to ponder on. Also, there are concepts usefull to natal astrology as well, presented clearly than we see in some other sources.
Paulo Felipe Noronha

I am already reading it, and it's amazing. Not only because it's easier, but the comments and introduction adds something to ponder on. Also, there are concepts usefull to natal astrology as well, presented clearly than we see in some other sources.

I agree. However, I misrepresented this work by just mentioning the excellent introduction and annotated notes to the text. Stephen has also gone to the trouble of providing us with extremely useful appendices at the end of the text. These include an extended excerpt from Abu Ma?sh?r?s: On Historical Astrology [On the Great Conjunctions] and material on the use of the lots/parts in mundane astrology. Wonderful :lala