Starting something important while Mars retrograde

Karen H. (I don't know how to spell her last name, but I'm sure many of you will know who I am referring to) mentions in her book "Handbook of Horary Astrology" how starting something important while Mars is retrograde is beset with trouble and strife.

From my own personal experience, I once started a job while both Mars and Mercury were retrograde, and that job was one of the worst nightmares of my life, the job ended in termination (that was the great blessing in disguise). It didn't matter what I did - how hard I worked - no one appreciated what I did, I felt I was in an alien domain.

I have a good friend who is getting married mid-Feb while Mars will still be retrograde. At a personal level, I have a good job prospect right now which may work out, and they would want me to start next week if it does - but I feel uncomfortable about starting while Mars is retrograde.

I'm a little worried about the future happiness of my friend, and whether or not my job (if I get it) will work out.

Are my concerns unfounded? Am I reading too much into this? Is Mars retrograde a warning against starting something new?

Thanks
- Taurus7 -

Karen H. (I don't know how to spell her last name
If the name is Karen Hamaker-Zondag, then your question might be in the wrong section here of this forum. She namely is a Dutch Jungian astrologer and thus too modern for the traditional astrology section.

But to answer your question shortly, I wouldn't worry too much about retrograde planets. Many other factors should be taken into account, whether astrological or/and non astrological.

I've been doing the wrong things all my life and I'm sure these weren't always during retrogradation of planets :wink: .

Mars retrograde is probably gonna show problems for projects that are martian in tone. If your job needs you to oven bake, make engines, or dispute points of law this could show difficulties. The marriage of the 'happy' couple is gonna struggle sometimes, maybe cos they are not good at resolving conflict. But no reason not to go for the job or get married! Be aware of the difficulties and work round them.

Julian

Mars Rx (and here I include the period when Mars, still direct, has reached the territory it will later revisit) is not an auspicious time to start things as they are likely to get derailed, at least for a time.

However you have to be practical and if you're offered a job you like, you'd be silly to turn it down just on the strength of Mars Rx. I think Mars Rx affects more things we initiate ourselves ... these may come around in the end, or they may not.

Erin Sullivan's book on Retrogrades offers some great insights into the nature of various stages of the retrograde cycle for each of the planets. She says that things thrown off course when Mars is Rx can sometimes quickly recover and swing back into action around the time of the Sun Mars trine following direct station. That's March 21 this year.

Tara

I've been doing the wrong things all my life and I'm sure these weren't always during retrogradation of planets
Ditto!! :lol:

Yes, I was referring to Karen Hamaker-Zondag, who paints a very sordid picture of doom and gloom if Mars is retrograde. But I'm relieved to see the consensus from those of you who have responded. Mars goes direct I think March 18th, and I agree with Tara that I'd have to be silly to turn down a job or not look for one until then. My personal transits are actually quite good right now, I have Jupiter sextiling the Sun and Pluto trining the MC, and an interview lined up for Tuesday!! So I'm hopeful, and will certainly feel more comfortable accepting this job if I get the offer, especially in lieu of what Tara says:
She says that things thrown off course when Mars is Rx can sometimes quickly recover and swing back into action around the time of the Sun Mars trine following direct station. That's March 21 this year.
Thanks.

I would never, ever start a new job with inner planets retrograde if it could be avoided, but, as someone said, if you can't control the date and you want the job, you're stuck. At least mars is past the sun opposition. An acquaintance just got a job this week after a year of unemployment. The new job is a long long commute that he's already whining about and offered a low salary. I give him a couple months.

Mars retro for marriage is really unfortunate. Mars rules the procreative principle, so I hope they're in total agreement about the kid issue. My cousin married during mars retro and within 4 months husband suddenly quit high-paying job and became a cab driver, then revealed he didn't want kids after all (She really did.) Divorce, but it was amicable, if that's any consolation. A LOT of passive-aggression during mars retrograde.

From my own personal experience, I once started a job while both Mars and Mercury were retrograde, and that job was one of the worst nightmares of my life, the job ended in termination (that was the great blessing in disguise). It didn't matter what I did - how hard I worked - no one appreciated what I did, I felt I was in an alien domain.
I am a Mars in Aries 10th house person, and, like you, I began a job during the last Mars Rx period, and the job was a nightmare. I was not directly involved in the confrontations at work, but there were coworkers yelling, swearing, at each others' throats. Human resources was involved... tears were shed. It was an angry, emotional mess, where I did not look forward to coming into work, and I quit right when the Rx period ended (without realizing it at the time). I am paranoid about beginning a new job during this current phase also, due to my previous experience. :???:

I think for strong Martians like myself, and those who have planets in hard aspects (especially the fixed signs, I'd imagine), would have the biggest issues.

Tara:
Erin Sullivan's book on Retrogrades offers some great insights into the nature of various stages of the retrograde cycle for each of the planets.
I'm curious what astrologers mean by the different stations of planetary direction. When a planet goes retro, stationary or direct are there three different phases in which they are slow, medium or fast? I hear this mentioned a lot but I can't find any sources on my own that are free.

There are two stations in all planetary cycles, one when the planet turns retrograde and the other when the planet turns direct again. I'm sure you know that so maybe I've missed what you meant by your question?

Tara

:???:

Tara - I've heard people reference different phases of planetary speeds in each station. A retrograde planet can be slow or fast (and medium?). Like right now Mars is fast even though it's retrograde. When it first went retro, I think it was stationary, then slow retro, then fast retro.

But I am not sure how this works exactly or what the traditional meanings would be for the varying circumstances. My natal Saturn is stationary, about to start moving forward, yet not moving by any degree whatsoever (0*00!), which is a bit different than a slow direct, or fast direct; slow retro or a fast retro planet.

I hope I make sense here! :lol: I started a planetary speeds post before, but I never really figured out these nuances.

Tara:
Quote:
Erin Sullivan's book on Retrogrades offers some great insights into the nature of various stages of the retrograde cycle for each of the planets.

I'm curious what astrologers mean by the different stations of planetary direction. When a planet goes retro, stationary or direct are there three different phases in which they are slow, medium or fast? I hear this mentioned a lot but I can't find any sources on my own that are free.
By retrograde cycle, Sullivan is not just referring to the speed of the retrograde planet or its stationary/direct motion, but to the Rx planet's relationship to the sun. Mars goes retro shortly after it trines the sun. Its first phase is moving back toward the opposition to the sun, which it did in early February. This is a critical time in the retrograde phase and often marks some kind of turning point or even falling apart. Shortly after mars goes direct it trines the sun again. This is also a critical time. Sullivan points out that the Gulf War (1991) started on this trine after mars went direct.

Tanit wrote:I hope I make sense here! :lol: I started a planetary speeds post before, but I never really figured out these nuances.
THink of it like ironing a table cloth, as the iron is moved over the cloth it does the job it is supposed to, if you slow the iron motion down the 'influence' becomes stronger until you burn the cloth.
Any Planet slowing down to change direction is pushing out too much 'influence', Mars makes people agrivated, Jupiter blows things way too big, Saturn reduces every thing to a trickle, etc

Hope this helps.