phase of the moon. .

Hi,

I wondered if I could ask a question about reading a horary chart. It suddenly came to mind, that the phase of the moon in a chart could play a significant role in the answer to a question. Does anyone know anything about this and whether there are there any sources available that discuss this? I appreciate your time with this question.

sally

New and full Moon do play a significant role. A combust Moon is very debilitated and often shows the querent is "blinded" in some way appropriate to the context. The Moon opposing the Sun is also debilitated; but I have not observed any "blindness" that goes with it. Things are not happy emotionally when the Moon is in those two places.

Moon cazimi can be very strengthening emotionally and usually the Sun signifies that which gives the Moon its power in the context.

The other two Moon phases are meaningful only if the Sun-Moon square has any meaning in the context.

Any good horary book will describe and/or give examples of the above.
--
Felipe Oliveira
http://traditionalmedicalastrology.org
http://medicalastrologer.net

thank-you very much for your reply felipeastrologo. i thought there must be some significance. It is strange that I have not seen it in any horary books, maybe I've been looking at the wrong ones. . I appreciate your time in answering the question.

sally

Re: phase of the moon. .

sally.. wrote:I wondered if I could ask a question about reading a horary chart. It suddenly came to mind, that the phase of the moon in a chart could play a significant role in the answer to a question. Does anyone know anything about this and whether there are there any sources available that discuss this? I appreciate your time with this question.
the role of the Moon in horary is all-encompassing, and her phase in the chart is absolutely deserving of analysis. I would be hesitant to say that it plays a significant role in the answer to a question, but the Moon's phase should help inform and guide your decision making as you're pulling together various segments and testimonies within the chart.

as a few examples of testimonies gathered from the Moon's phase:
- whether property, a situation (like an illness or the course of a relationship), a missing person and/or object, etc., is new and/or valued (waxing Moon), or old and/or unappreciated (waning Moon).
- whether something is expected to gain or lose value over time. a waxing Moon shows increase, a waning Moon decrease, while a full Moon should show a plateau in valuation. this should be combined with the Moon's speed (is she increasing or decreasing in contrast to her average daily motion?) and her latitude north and south of the ecliptic (is she ascending or descending?).
- whether something should be visible and apparent (visible Moon/out from the Sun's beams), or locked away and hidden and/or captured (invisible Moon/under Sun's beams and/or combust).
felipeastrologo wrote:The Moon opposing the Sun is also debilitated; but I have not observed any "blindness" that goes with it.
depends on your source. Ibn Ezra was pretty clear that while other authorities were disinclined to like Sun/Moon squares and oppositions, he thought that a philosophically indefensible position:
"There is a disagreement among the astrologers about the Sun's aspects with the Moon. Some say that quartile and opposition are unfortunate but sextile and trine are fortunate. But I say that all the aspects that the Sun forms with the Moon are fortunate, because the Moon's light comes from the Sun's light.."

- Abraham Ibn Ezra, Book of Elections, ?1.
he then goes on to demonstrate how one might use that information when administering purgatives, but that's not really pertinent here. the point is that in some contexts, a Moon opposition to the Sun might show you exactly what you expect (and in some instances, want) to see in a chart. it is a precarious position for the Moon, but the jury is out on just how debilitating it is to have the Moon commit her power back to the ultimate source of that power, whichever aspect that may be.
felipeastrologo wrote:The other two Moon phases are meaningful only if the Sun-Moon square has any meaning in the context.
well sure, but we could feasibly say this about anything. what can be said, at the very least, is that the two luminaries are operating in tandem to try and illuminate the situation at hand. whether or not they can will depend on accidental situation like aspects and location.
felipeastrologo wrote:Moon cazimi can be very strengthening emotionally and usually the Sun signifies that which gives the Moon its power in the context.
again, something to be careful with. Lilly asserts that a planet cazimi is made "wondrous strong," so that gets repeated often, but there's plenty of reason to question Lilly on that point. from Abu Mashar:
"Some people say that when a star is in the heart of the Sun [cazimi], it becomes stronger; nevertheless, I say that in that moment the star is similar to a man who purifies himself and who therefore does not have strength in the purification, but he regains his health afterwards."

- Abu Mashar, Libri Mysteriorum, II. 178.
what follows from there is an exploration of how each of the planets operate when cazimi -- Saturn as a shabby old man who murmurs and complains, Jupiter someone who sees their hardship as the unlock to future happiness and success, etc. I'm inclined to side with Abu Mashar on this point, and those astrologers who join him in that camp of recognizing cazimi as a significant moment of vulnerability for a planet. but clearly this was a debate in his day, centuries before Lilly was even a dirty thought in his parents' mind.

the point is that it's rarely that cut and dry -- astrological points are at once as messy and as organic as the natural world is herself. debate exists out there, and sometimes the loudest voice at the table on these matters (i.e., the one most often repeated in texts) isn't necessarily the most philosophically consistent or sensible. like Culpeper quipped, "Truly, my own opinion is, many authors invented whimsies, and when they had done, set them down to posterity for truth; who taking them up without trial, clothed tradition in plush, and left poor reason to go in rags. An author said so; ergo 'tis true, right or wrong."
http://wadecaves.com | hello@wadecaves.com

Dear Wade,

Thankyou for such wonderful information. I may well look into those sources
but will also return to this page, in order to absorb this information, as it will probably take a while. many thanks for your time,

Sally

sally.. wrote:Thankyou for such wonderful information. I may well look into those sources
but will also return to this page, in order to absorb this information, as it will probably take a while. many thanks for your time,
any time. just respond back to this thread if you find yourself with more questions or comments. :)
http://wadecaves.com | hello@wadecaves.com