How much a planet is hurt by R motion

Reading all sorts of posts, I keep wondering how much R motion would hurt (or debilitate) a planet. I'm thinking of my own natal chart, I have Jupiter Rx in Sag conj. Neptune Rx and conj. Sag MC (from the 9th house). My teacher used to say that Neptune hurts Jupiter, plus Jupiter is Rx, but still it is angular and in its domicile. I experienced Jupiter benefits in regards to my work very much, have had excellent work conditions, easy income, excellent relationships at work but not much creative satisfaction of meaningfulness in my work (up until I became a professional astrologer)... so it manifested its benific qualities. So what should I expect from Rx... And I am also interested in general discussion of how much a planet is hurt if Rx.
Last edited by elumen on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rx is an accidental debility, not an essential one. So affects "power" to act rather than "motive".

It may depend on the phase of the retrogradation. Stationing Rx is the worst, then it gets moving, some improvement but still Rx, then it slows again to station direct which is the "best" condition of an Rx planet.

I guess it depends on context. This is the natal section so you mean in a natal chart?

Here's a link to a thread on planetary speed, might help. It includes some references to Rx planets.
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Looking at the actual effects of retrograde motion which are discernible in charts, I don't often see such effects in natal charts as they reflect in the personality.

I tend to look at retrograde motion in terms of transits and progressions. A Uranus transit over the MC by direct motion would show a single event, but by retrograde motion it might mean that the effect would be revisited before the native can move on, as Uranus turned direct and re-passed over the angle.

Similar effects over a longer period might be seen when a retrograde planet becomes stationary and then moves forward by progression.

As the other poster said, retrograde motion affects the planets' power to act. In natal, whether the planet is essentially dignified or debilitated, it either can't act the way it would like or its effects will be limited.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses! I'll check out the other threads, and yes, PallasAthene, I was referring to a natal astrology. So in my case, even though my Jupiter is R and conj Neptune, it still acted out itself quite powerfully --> I have had an excellent luck obtaining very good jobs, (I was not happy with their content, but I attribuite that to Neptune -- still figuring out my true avocation) As far as career sector, I have been very very fortunate, no Rx seem to hurt it.
One of the vedic astrologers told me that Rx means intensity of the planet goes inward, so for e.g. for Mercury Rx, there is more intensity and brooding over some thoughts, I suppose for Jupiter Rx, it will be becoming more inwardly focused as far as the search for meaning and religious and spiritual interests. It is true for me. I have a very powerful and important internal life connected to my spiritual believes and I do not discuss it much.

I wanted to resurrect this thread, b/c I wonder what people think about Mercury R. Do you find it to cause delays in speech development for e.g.? How do you experience it if you have it?
Thanks!

An rx planet is self-conflicted; according to Ibn Ezra, it is like"a defiant and rebellious person"; I personally accept this opinion. Mercury rx? On an electional-type basis I avoid certain operations (such as Tarot divination) and certain types of undertakings during that time: HOWEVER, I CANNOT declare- from my own observations-that I have "definitely" seen the ill effects ascribed to Mercury rx actually occur. This is only my personal experience.