Record Snow Storms Hammer US East + Midwest

Record snowfall (not seen since the time of George Washington) hit the US midwest and especially the east coast, shutting down most activity in Washington DC; another record storm is anticipated February 9/10th (2010) Does anyone find astrological indications for this? I would especially appreciate Eddy's and Andrew's comments on this matter, and of course any thoughts about this matter from other Skyscript members. Thanks!

Perhaps the longduring Mars-Saturn sextile plays a role in it. I believe that the snow started last Saturday? Jupiter was in inconjunct/150? aspect with Saturn the day before and will be inconjunct with Mars Wednesday.

I'm not sure how to handle this yet. The same aspect giving different types of weather all over the world. I experiment with weather predictions for my (NW-Europe) area, since I know the weather over here. Just like predicting with transits, directions etc for a person is easier when you know this person rather than the natal chart alone.

Note that Deb mentioned that while Europe had lots of snow and cold, Australia was very hot in December. Perhaps it's very difficult to make fixed astrological weather rules. First the local circumstances overrule, it's difficult to predict snow in the Amazone rainforest. One could see this in the light of Ptolemy's view on characters in nativities. These are overruled by the main character of the countries

Just to put this into perspective from someone who is in the midst of it for others who are thousands of miles away from it hear me out.

I live in New Jersey one of the Middle Atlantic States. New Jersey is geographically a small state. I think only 5 or so are smaller. I live in the middle of the state.

Last Saturday we had about 6 inches of snow, but if I were to drive about 75 miles southwest towards Philadelphia, they had more than 12 inches. Washington DC was hit hard and that is about 200 miles south of here, but at that distance you would no longer be in the Middle Atlantic region. You'd be entering the South. Drive 40 miles to the north of me, you'd still be in NJ and there was virtually no snow at all.

This current storm started here about 11:00 PM EST last night and I think it is still coming down lightly. There is about 12 or more inches on the ground from this storm. What was left from the previous storm was almost gone. Once again Philly and DC were hit hardest. NYC got dumped on and so did Long Island I'm told.

The point here is to ask this question: How could astrology be used for this: If you cast a chart for my current location and then cast one for Washington DC, there is almost no difference (less than 2 degrees on the ASC). Philly is even closer (less than one-degree on the ASC).

Then there is the news hype. This is hardly the Siberia the media is making it out to be. By tomorrow or no later than Friday things will be back to normal.

We've had a few pretty mild winters in a row. Where I live we hardly had any snow last year, but New England 150 miles north got hammered last winter. A measly 350 miles up the Atlantic coast and the snowfall has varied tremendously over the last two years. I can recall far fiercer winters in terms of both snowfall and temperature and I've lived in this part of the country almost my whole life. The records being set here are in Baltimore and DC some 175 - 200+ miles south.

In short, I doubt there is an astrological explanation for the weather here and I can't imagine how we could split hairs to the point where we can divine the snowfall between charts that are fundamentally identical.

Tom

[quote="Tom"]
In short, I doubt there is an astrological explanation for the weather here and I can't imagine how we could split hairs to the point where we can divine the snowfall between charts that are fundamentally identical.

Tom may have a point, which if correct (and it seems to me it just might be so) would have significant ramifications for the subject of astro-meteorology. Is it possible that another kind of chart erection might be needed for astro-meteorology, perhaps one originated from a point directly overhead at the exact location; or could astro-locality come into play in relating a regular chart to the astro-locality in order to devlop a weather prognosis specific to the local area?

I agree with the relative meaning of "intensity", however, in parts of the East Coast of the USA there has not been (Washington DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore) this level of snow since before records began being kept in 1884. 45 inches of snow fall over a two day period (recorded in some parts of the East this past weekend) might be insignificant for Norway, but it is a real big deal for, say, Washington DC. This constitutes a highly unusual situation relative to the (meteorological) history of that area. However, the problems or even possibility of astrological prognostics about this sort of thing remain a question.

PS: I was simply interested in any astrological takes on this weather situation...I myself am writing from Los Angeles, California, where the weather today is clear and 70 degreesF...I won't argue the point of intense weather!!!

I can't speak for Norway. I've never been there, and Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC got socked, but to listen to the New York media you'd think it was a atomic attack, and NY didn't get close to a record. They're calling it a 'snowpocalpyse." It will be forgotten by the weekend.

A few years back upstate NY had a winter where they had 9 feet fall, not drifts, in one season. That's a snowpocalypse.

Tom
[/u]

I don't find this a strong point. Just replace the words 'weather' and 'snowfall' for 'events' and 'individual experience' respectively and there is the 'astro twins' problem. So this question would also apply on people born in the same area at the same time. It will turn out (and has been) that the lives of astro twins can be entirely different. Other causes in individual events are social, political circumstances.

Likewise in weather (whether with or without astrology) the differences are due to natural local differences, land see mountains. In Europe (with mainly West winds) it's more likely to have rain on the West sides of mountains than on the east sides, so this has to be taken into account.
Now I understand that the eastern coast does not get this type of weather every year as we do here in Norway. But nonetheless as Tom pointed out this is actually a lot of whoopla over something really insignificant.
In the light of my previous remark I don't think that areas far apart shouldn't be compared. Rain in the Congo is more common than in the Sahara. I think it's the extremes or not only these but the weather changes that should be researched in their possible relation to astrological positions and within a certain area. By the way, I didn't know the snowfall was hyped so much in the US news, I guess this is less the case over here in the Netherlands/Europe (up to now).

So I would feel more attracted to this view.
I agree with the relative meaning of "intensity", however, in parts of the East Coast of the USA there has not been (Washington DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore) this level of snow since before records began being kept in 1884. 45 inches of snow fall over a two day period (recorded in some parts of the East this past weekend) might be insignificant for Norway, but it is a real big deal for, say, Washington DC. This constitutes a highly unusual situation relative to the (meteorological) history of that area. However, the problems or even possibility of astrological prognostics about this sort of thing remain a question.
Look at a certain area and compare it with the usual long period weather of the same area. I don't claim to be able to predict the weather exactly, I had a few hits so I'm (still) optimistic about weather astrology, and I will continue experimenting. After all, doesn't the same apply to natal astrology? Many predictions don't come true, and some do.

I don't find this a strong point. Just replace the words 'weather' and 'snowfall' for 'events' and 'individual experience' respectively and there is the 'astro twins' problem.
Rain is rain is rain. Snow is snow is snow. People are quite a bit different, born to different circumstances (even if at the same time) and react differently to the same stimulus. The weather isn't like that.

Tom

Tom wrote:Rain is rain is rain. Snow is snow is snow. People are quite a bit different, born to different circumstances (even if at the same time) and react differently to the same stimulus. The weather isn't like that.

Tom
Even then I'd say poverty is poverty and marriage is marriage. Excuse me for my linguistic adeptedness, but since such issues are said to be found in charts but can't be disconnected with the environment. Why can't the weather react differently to the same stimulus? Of course humans/societies are much more variable, however this should rather be seen as a disadvantage compared to weather astrology. The variability would make natal chart reading/prediction for humans (with their free will, multiculturalism, social environment, historical situation etc.) even much more difficult.

But I won't make a fuss on this. For the time being (now I'm having a break from natal astrology) I'm enjoying studying a bit on the weather astrology. Perhaps I will turn out to be wrong on the subject but sure it makes me more aware of the natural surrounding. I believe my astronomical/astrological interesse serves memory. Friends/and brothers of mine envy me for knowing in which year this or that happened in our lives/childhood. Now with the planets etc. then at least I can remember this or that aspect for that nice spring or the cold December.

Didn't Morin write anything on weather astrology? I'm just curious. I assume that as an astrologer of the 17th century he must have been interested in the subject. It would somewhat surprize me if he wouldn't.

Both Tom and Eddy make important points in this discussion, and, as Eddy points out, there are implications for astrology in general generated from the points discussed. Now I have no knowledge in the field of astro-meteorology but it seems to me that there must be connections between the question of astrological influences upon earth (and its atmosphere) and the question of astrological influences upon beings living on earth. As Eddy brings out relative to (what I consider to be) a very strong point by Tom, is the "twins" question in natal work. Interestingly, the Vedic astrologers apply methods called "vargas" or divisional chart techniques in narrowing down parameters relating to certain specific issues (eg they use charts divided into thirds-10 degree charts, into sixths-5 degree charts, into ninths-3.4 degree charts, into twelfths-2.5 degree charts, etc) and they do have a very special (though not well known to the West) varga for the question of twins (I believe this is where they use a chart divided into 30ths) Could we perhaps obtain better insights through applying some sort of divisional chart technique in special areas such as mundane and meteorological work? I'm not saying to use the Vedic astrological model here, but perhaps to investigate if certain techniques that we don't currently use, might be adapted to our outlook and applied in an effort to develop more satisfactory results in some of these special areas of astrological endeavor.

FYI; Today is Friday Feb 20th, and here in Baltimore, the city is still struggling with getting rid of this record snowfall.

The city has had vehicle towing and snow clearing and removal by tractor, shovel, and truck. This is unprecedented here, as are the number of roof collapses and emergency services required to assist stranded citizens and motorists.

Even now, the news is warning residents not to hog their snow-butressed parking spaces by placing furniture and other implements to 'save' them in their absence. Failing this, motorists will be cited.

All this is on the shoulders of our brand-spanking-new mayor who is replacing the criminal who became a national embarrassment.

If you ask folks here, most will chalk it up to global warming (interpreted as planet abuse), and the fact that last spring 450 mountaintops were removed from our neighbor West Virginia.

We are still dealing with this and are hoping things get a little closer to normal late next week.

FYI- it's nearly gone.
Quite surreal yesterday afternoon, going for a walk in my sweats, shades & jean jacket, ocassionally passing the diminishing mountains of snow on sidestreets.