JulieYvonne wrote:The retrograde cycle of mars is unique of the superior planets in that it does not trine the sun during its retrograde phase, forming only the quincunx and opposition. For this reason alone it is said to have an extremely unsettling and disruptive influence during the Rx phase. In addition, the relative rarity of mars Rx, compared to the other superior planets, would indicate it is a difficult energy to assimilate. We are not "used" to it.
While I knew that Mars has a shorter period of being retrograde, I never made the link with the impossibility of the trine to the Sun. That's something interesting to ponder on.

However I wouldn't see the retrograde period necessarily in a negative way. The 'not being "used" to it' is an apt observation and fits in the subconscious human desire for 'order'. The unusual retrograde movement of planets collides with this order, just like the big eccentricities of the orbits of Mars and Mercury, which cause irregularities.

However I believe that the human mind can learn to cope with the negative effecs of retrogradation now the cause of the retrograde movement can easily be understood by the heliocentric model. If this cosmic view is internalized then I'd expect that the retrogradation would have less effect on us.

Maybe this view of mine is not particularly astrological and/or quite modern, yet many of the ancient redemption philosophies are based upon getting knowledge in order to be liberated of negative issues. When the mystery of an astronomical issue is solved one can see that something that has a fearful appearance can have quite a simple explanation.
Last edited by Eddy on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

From my (philosophical/occult) point of view, starting a matter of Martial quality (or, as said more traditionally, under Martial rulership) with Mars retrograde would be contra-indicated, simply because the matter would "receive" an essentially nil Mars influence ("Mars fighting/conflicting with itself") However, Mars in its fall (or even in detriment) would (in my view) be an even more significant contra-indication for starting something of Martial quality (rulership) than merely being Mars rx. But starting something NOT of Mars quality (rulership) with Mars rx (or fall or detriment) would not have much (if any) effect on the matter (in my opinion)

I'm suddenly reminded of having read something that Julius Ceasar used to fight against the Gaul and Germanic tribes at waning Moon. For example here(p.133)

Those tribes avoided several activities at waning moon. This could make one an easy prey to others. So even if Mars retrograde has negative effects it's best to act when one really has to. Just like having to do an exam on an unfortunate date. Even if there are negative effects it's better to face it and work a bit harder than to avoid it.

Do you understand how ridiculous the statement "never start anything while Mars is Rx" sounds to me?
Let me clarify one point, which is that I meant to say "anything significant"-- which was clearly my position from the first post. I did not opine that the OP should under no circumstances begin a job with mars Rx. My view is that if one has a choice, waiting is beneficial. Yes, this is a generalization. Obviously there are times when we must plow ahead.

I can see now how my remark about a "tepid" response might rankle, and I apologize. I did not intend to provoke or belittle. Neither do I think it warranted the tone of a few of the subsequent comments. I did not "attack" your example, I pointed something out. Nevertheless, I understand your position--Rx is a debility but in no sense is it the only consideration or even the most important one; mars must have a relationship to the matter; mars is not a universal significator of beginnings. I assure you that you need not state it a fourth time.

Hello Eddy, I agree that the retrograde period has something important to teach us-- and that it is not negative in this sense. At the same time, the disorder that you refer to that occurs during the retrograde phase is best used for review and editing and waiting. A generalization, I know. It is a modern view that retrogradation in general means WAIT. ( Unfortunately I forgot this thread was on the traditional forum.) I know that the moon is taken into account with beginnings, but as far as a universal significator for war? In the example of the Gulf war, the retrograde mars coincided with saber-rattling and positioning. Actual hostilities began under the trine, taking place after mars went direct.

Dr. farr, I absolutely agree that events of a martial nature are contra-indicated with mars in detriment, as much as mars Rx. I have an example of a mars Rx surgery, a mars in fall surgery, but no detriment, it just makes sense, though. Both outcomes in my examples were predictably unpleasant, the mars Rx was worse, resulting in more surgeries. In my opinion marriage is an unfortunate event to be born under a mars retrograde because although mars does not rule marriage, venus depends on mars, mars being the sex drive after all. My one example of a mars Rx marriage was unsuccessful although the couple parted friends, which i think is a great success. Whether retrogradation trumps other debilities, I am unable to provide any controlled studies/ proof, so this is my opinion!