Symbolically, a planet in aversion is more likely to be disregarded, as if we are blind to their existence. The ones to watch are those in opposition - hence the traditional association between the 7th house and the people/things that oppose our interests.

I wasn't specifically thinking of horary. If we're talking about the relationship of planets by sign, then we're really talking about the basic definition of aspectual relationships. One planet 5 signs from another is defined as in "in aversion" because there is no natural aspect between those signs This is a quick snip from my article at http://www.skyscript.co.uk/aspects.html
Inconjunct (literally unconnected) was the name applied to planets placed five signs apart. With the absence of any physical shape to connect their signs, the term itself suggests a state of natural aversion. Such a relationship was considered unfortunate or 'alien' and the signs were said to turn away from each other, indicating an almost malevolent lack of sympathy. In classical literature the term ablepton meaning 'not seen' or 'blind' is frequently encountered, as is asyndeton meaning 'unconnected', aversum 'turned away from', and alienum 'unfamiliar'.*

*See Firmicus, Matheseos Libri VIII, II.XXII and the translator's 38th note, (Ascella Reprints, London) p.303. Also Greek Horoscopes by Neugebauer & Van-Hoesen, (American Philosophical Soc., Philadelphia, 1959), p.13.
John queried whether the 6th sign - the 5th from the 1st - is indicative of natural foes. I don't see that. The 6th sign (or house) from the ascendant is not supportative of the ascendant, but it's not representative of opposing interests or natural enemies.

And now the questions!
So, in modern terms, an inconjunct is said to mean an adjustment to be made. Does that planets can now see round corners???

I'm guessing that the inconjunct is not considered in a traditional natal delineation? Similarly, by transit or progression? Or does it sill have something to say, being averse to the other planet? Sorry, this isn't just about house 6.

Deb wrote:Symbolically, a planet in aversion is more likely to be disregarded, as if we are blind to their existence. The ones to watch are those in opposition - hence the traditional association between the 7th house and the people/things that oppose our interests.
... But in older Greek material the 6th is connected with enemies (without the later distinction between 'open' and 'secret' enemies), a signification preserved in the Indian tradition and, if memory serves, by some of the early Arabic authors. (Sorry for not giving references -- no time to hunt them up at present.) And of course it seems reasonable that Mars should rejoice in the house of enemies!

Martin Gansten wrote:... But in older Greek material the 6th is connected with enemies (without the later distinction between 'open' and 'secret' enemies), a signification preserved in the Indian tradition and, if memory serves, by some of the early Arabic authors. (Sorry for not giving references -- no time to hunt them up at present.) And of course it seems reasonable that Mars should rejoice in the house of enemies!
Even though not an early Arabic author, Al Biruni seems to be still in this tradition:
The Book of Instruction . . . , 462. (p. 61):
"INDICATIONS RELATING TO HORARY QUESTIONS:

[House] VI Lost and escaped, some lost trifle which does not turn up, affairs of women and eunuchs, suspicion, hatred, calumny, violence, dissipation, deceit, terrors, prison, enemy, poverty, moving form place to place."

I cerainly didn't mean to imply that the 6th house is not a hostile place, or that is has no association with injurous situations. That is implicit in the state of aversion too (since it makes this place one that does not receive the light of the ascendant). Is the word 'enemy' being used to indicate what we think of as "the enemy" or as a form of hostilis - something that is detrimental to our welfare (or health: hence the house of disease)?

The opening post read
If house 6 is in aversion to the rising sign, does that mean that those beneath us, servants, employees, are our natural foes?
I was pointing out that the 7th house is more naturally associated with our foes. That's a fairly reliable traditional view and its been my experience as an astrologer and a birth-chart owner :) I would be interested to hear if other people have had different experiences, or use the signification differently though.

PS: to Pallasathene - I think the inconjunct has a meaning, yes, but I don't want to venture too much into my experience with horary. If you think about the fact that planets in this relationship do not 'see' each other, there is a lot of interpretational value in that.

Rob Hand once told me (this was years ago, and I don't know if he still holds this view) that between his reading, experience of other people's charts, and his own chart, that 7 can be classified as 'opponents', 12 as 'secret enemies' and 6 as 'people who are out to destroy you'.

The houses mean more than that, of course. But from my experience and chart readings and my own chart, I'll back him up on that.

If you want to see how you'll get along with your servants, slaves, and employees, it's the third triplicity ruler of the 6th. First triplicity ruler is deformities, and second triplicity is illnesses.

Ibn Ezra goes into great detail on the 6th house - including relevant lots - in The Book of Nativities and Revolutions.

Olivia wrote:Rob Hand once told me (this was years ago, and I don't know if he still holds this view) that between his reading, experience of other people's charts, and his own chart, that 7 can be classified as 'opponents', 12 as 'secret enemies' and 6 as 'people who are out to destroy you'.

The houses mean more than that, of course. But from my experience and chart readings and my own chart, I'll back him up on that.

If you want to see how you'll get along with your servants, slaves, and employees, it's the third triplicity ruler of the 6th. First triplicity ruler is deformities, and second triplicity is illnesses.

Ibn Ezra goes into great detail on the 6th house - including relevant lots - in The Book of Nativities and Revolutions.
Aren`t the former two out to destroy us too?