Picking winning days for a horse based on his natal chart

Hi folks,

I have been commissioned to analyse the birth chart of a racehorse to: a) find out what will keep him happy so his natural talent is not subverted by some mental problems he has and, b) pick high energy or "lucky" days for the horse from May to November this year.

This is a new one for me so I'm looking for tips. The horse's birth data is May 3, 2006 at 10:25 pm EDT, Orangeville, Canada: 80W06 43N55

The chart has a Kite pattern: Tight grand trine involving Mars Cancer/Jupiter Scorpio /Uranus Pisces catalysed by Sun Taurus opposing Jupiter, which shows his talent, drive and momentum. I am assuming that planetary triggers to the Kite, and particularly to the Sun in Taurus, will indicate days when this potential is most likely to manifest.

Can anyone give me any pointers to help me with my task, particularly picking the high energy days?

Thanks,
Tara

Well, I believe that the basic would be to be clear that you never tried to use horse astrology.

Then you should try to see things in hindsight and see if your model works. As Frawley said, there is no reason to assume that the horse has any serious concern on the results of the race to tell that a transit to his sun will bring anything.

I assume that a horse would race every other day, so probably just transits and maybe lunar returns would be appropriate
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

Thanks Yuzuru,

Yes I thought the same, transits and lunar returns as well as the solar return to see if there are signs of winning. I would interpret these to be mainly energizing transits to his Kite pattern.

It may well be that the horse doesn't care if he wins or not but who knows? maybe he does. Saturn is transiting his MC stationing direct right on it in May, so that shows a certain readiness to be at the top of his game.

Yes I'll contact the owner for dates of previous wins or good showings to see if my theory about the Kite is correct.

Tara

Interesting subject.
yuzuru wrote:Then you should try to see things in hindsight and see if your model works. As Frawley said, there is no reason to assume that the horse has any serious concern on the results of the race to tell that a transit to his sun will bring anything.
Well yes and no. The horse doesn't actually think about the prize but I think that the horse is conditioned to want to win. I can imagine that the horse feels the tension around the race and can feel the emotions of the horse rider when the race is won or lost.

So I'd also believe that it might be useful to look at the rider's chart and the transits. Perhaps it might also be useful to compare the charts of horse and rider to find any matching points. The result of a race depends not only on the horse but much on the rider who has to lead the horse. If through a Saturn transit the rider feels less motivated than the horse feels this too and might ride slower. On the other side if the horse would have the Saturn transit, it might be tired or so and the rider feels this.

However these are only my assumptions how I would see it and they must be investigated indeed in hindsight through checking past races etc.

Hi Tara,
Although you've also posted in the Sports forum, I thought I'd reply here as it will be easier to have all the replies in one place.

I used to compare horses' charts to racecharts quite a lot and generally found Sun/Mars and Mars/Sun contacts to work best, preferably by trine. Also contacts between the horse's planets and the racechart MC.

The Sun opp Jupiter is interesting because it reminds me of the famous Red Rum who had Sun conj Jupiter in Taurus. He was a great stayer! That was over jumps of course and I presume it's all flat racing in Canada. With Sun in Taurus (and Moon in Leo) perhaps your horse is more of a stayer than a sprinter, so longer distance races might suit him better than the 5 furlong dash. (Not that I've made a study of it; it's just a thought.) It's something you could check when you're looking at previous race results.

I know nothing about racing in Canada. I only know how it works here. Usually the trainer will advise the owner of suitable races for the horse to enter because it's dependent on various conditions such as age, distance, handicap etc. If you could get hold of a list, it might be easier than trying to pick the best astrological days, only to discover there's no suitable race.

Mystic Meg owns a whole string of racehorses and has won quite a few prizes. Perhaps you could find out her astrological strategy, although she probably wouldn't tell you :lol:

Eddy wrote:
The horse doesn't actually think about the prize but I think that the horse is conditioned to want to win. I can imagine that the horse feels the tension around the race and can feel the emotions of the horse rider when the race is won or lost.
When I was asked to do this chart, I looked at it first to see if I thought I could say anything intelligent about a horse, this being the first time I've attempted to read an animal's chart other than my own dog and cat. The chart clearly showed what the owner had said about the horse being talented but having a mental problem so I agreed to take it on. I am pretty experienced with psychological correlations to astrology and I think it won't be too much of a leap to translate this to horse sense, as it were. Animals feel things just like we do. Only their context is different.

Ficina wrote,
I used to compare horses' charts to racecharts quite a lot and generally found Sun/Mars and Mars/Sun contacts to work best, preferably by trine.
In this case especially so because Sun and Mars are both in his Kite pattern. Interesting about the trine yielding best results. Opportunity meets motivation I guess.

It makes sense to ask the owner for dates of eligible races. I'll do that. Also I'll suggest that, as you say, he might be more of a distance runner than a sprinter, given his fixed sun and moon. He's a gelding. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Temperamentally, using Dorian Greenbaum's formula, he is primarily Sanguine/Choleric so that gives him speed I imagine.

Does anyone know of any quick reads on the psychology of racehorses I might find online?

Tara

Hi Tara,

I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about psychology of racehorses, but I can imagine that the racing professionals apply some psychology to the horse. If you google "equine psychology" (and combined with "race horse") you will find some texts. I found this book on google books: 'How Horses Learn: Equine Psychology Applied to Training' - Jeanna C. Fiske.

Perhaps you might be interested in this research on dog behaviour. I never read it myself thoroughly but I was reminded of having seen it. http://www.ramsfr.fr/rams15dogsSFBUS.pdf

As www.ramsfr.fr is a French astrology research website here's also the version in French,
http://www.ramsfr.fr/rams15chiensSFBFR.pdf
the article wrote:ABSTRACT : A survey comprising 500 pedigree dogs was realised in the Paris region. For
each dog six behavioral traits were determined and ten of their astrological traits were
retained. A statistical interpretation of the possible relationships between the two sets of traits
was performed with permutation tests. Two strong associations were detected between the
angular positions of Jupiter and the Sun, and the extraversion dominant trait. Other
associations were also suggested. Remarkably, these associations are similar to standard
indications proposed by astrology for humans.

Hmm. the work I did a couple of years ago suggested it is not just down to good days but down to good minutes - i.e the exact time a race is run.

However, having said that, favourable aspects between Jupiter and Mars - especially when repeated (eg. transiting Jupiter sextile natal Mars, transiting Mars trine natal Jupiter) are good but only if not afflcited by a hard Saturn aspect.

You don't say whether the horse is a flat racer or jump racer. The Jupiter Mars works even better for flat racing - as just being the fastest can be enough- jump racing is more complex because of timing the jumps etc - needs more control so a nice Saturn trine as well would help there.

Favourable aspects to the Moon and progressed Moon from the race chart MC are useful.

You can also look at the natal chart as if it was a person: as horses have off days too with the same aspects as people etc. The psychology you mention is very relevant here. Horses are exactly like people when it comes to racing. Some don't want to - but I am assuming this horse has been racing a while and was ok at one stage though. Some love racing and winning - some only love racing in certain conditions, some love to play to crowds and don't like quiet racetracks, some get depressed if they are constantly set against a horse that keeps beating them - and it becomes self-fulfilling etc, some need restabling at another place if they hate their home. You should be able to pick all that from the natal chart.

I haven't done much of this lately but I'll take a look at the horse's chart at the weekend and see if I have any comments.