Hello Andrew

I would imagine the answer is 'no'

According to NASA
eye safety - The only time that the Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye is during a total eclipse, when the Moon completely covers the disk of the Sun. It is never safe to look at a partial or annular eclipse, or the partial phases of a total solar eclipse, without the proper equipment and techniques. Even when 99% of the Sun's surface (the photosphere) is obscured during the partial phases of a solar eclipse, the remaining crescent Sun is still intense enough to cause permanent retinal damage, especially when viewed through binoculars or other optical aids.
Venus is so close that I suspect your eyes would become combust :-)

But we'll see.... or not!

In fact when a planet is said to be combust is it the planet which becomes combust or is it human eyes which become combust searching for it?

Regards

H.

Would it matter? First off, the only time any previously combust planets would be visible is during the very few minutes of totality (about 3 - 5), but during the entire eclipse period (several hours) the Sun is still bright enough to blot out any planets close enough to be combust. The darkness associated with a total eclipse of the Sun comes on pretty quickly and ends pretty quickly, too. During totality there is a brilliant white light surrounding the Sun (the corona) and if a planet is close enough, it will be blotted out during the entire eclipse period. And it doesn't get midnight black out either. Because of the corona it gets about as dark as a little after sunset. The stars and planets are visible but it's not as though it is midnight. Anything less than totality is still too bright to see planets near the Sun.

Furthermore, eclipses of the Sun cannot be seen from everywhere on earth. So if the eclipse path goes through Texas to southern Canada, but an observer is in London, the planet is still combust in London but not in Montana? I can't imagine it would work this way.

I think if combustion has an effect, it still has an effect during an eclipse of the Sun.

Tom

Tom wrote:Would it matter?
I am looking at the chart for the New Moon of 15 January as an indicator for current affairs. Since this lunation also is an eclipse, I find myself wondering whether the state of combustion is affected by the brightness of the Sun being covered up.
handn wrote:In fact when a planet is said to be combust is it the planet which becomes combust or is it human eyes which become combust searching for it?
Astrology generally deals with appearances.

Thank you both for the feedback. :'
http://www.astronor.com

Quote:
eye safety - The only time that the Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye is during a total eclipse, when the Moon completely covers the disk of the Sun. It is never safe to look at a partial or annular eclipse, or the partial phases of a total solar eclipse, without the proper equipment and techniques. Even when 99% of the Sun's surface (the photosphere) is obscured during the partial phases of a solar eclipse, the remaining crescent Sun is still intense enough to cause permanent retinal damage, especially when viewed through binoculars or other optical aids.

Venus is so close that I suspect your eyes would become combust :-)
An annular eclipse is indeed still too bright to look at and to see planets close to the Sun.

During the 11 August 1999 total solar eclipse I saw Venus south east of the Sun, some 15? away. She was easily visible during those two minutes and I think she still would have been visible when even closer.

Here's a picture of Venus and the eclipse taken somewhere in Austria: http://www.sternwarte.at/Sofi99/Venus.jpg I was in rainy France but I was lucky during totality.

Thanks for the link, Eddy!

Looking at Venus and the eclipsed Sun the question arises whether or not it would be necessary to define 'in cazimi' by longitude AND latitude. Venus in this picture being in the same degree of longitude with the Sun would not really be 'in his heart', wouldn't she?

Johannes

My question was regarding Venus, as a practical example only, because she is the first planet that comes to light, but the problem concerns any planet really. I never thought that the New Moon saved a planet from combustion, although I might have judged the Moon as cazimi. However, an eclipse signals something different/special. It is true that a solar eclipse is local and that Venus' visability follows the same limitations - but the solar eclipse is considered to affect the whole world all the same, whether the Sun is above the horizon or below.

Consider another example - the Sun in the final degree of Aquarius, Jupiter in the first degrees of Pisces. The sign boundary saves Jupiter from combustion, as if there was a wall between him and the Sun protecting him, but he is not saved from being under the Sun's beams. However, the apparent visability/obscurity of Jupiter is affected by the planet being in a different sign than the Sun.

Getting back to the Solar eclipse, I just thought it was curious that the planets became visable when the Sun was darkened. 8)
http://www.astronor.com

johannes susato wrote:Looking at Venus and the eclipsed Sun the question arises whether or not it would be necessary to define 'in cazimi' by longitude AND latitude. Venus in this picture being in the same degree of longitude with the Sun would not really be 'in his heart', wouldn't she?

Johannes
Here are the positions during the 1999 eclipse

Date/Time: 1999.08.11 11:08:30 UTC (GMT - Delta T), JD = 2451401.964236
Sidereal Time: 08:26:23, Delta T = 63.7 seconds
Geocentric positions

Phase of Moon: 0.001 (0.000=New; 0.250=First 1/4; 0.500=Full; 0.750=Last 1/4)

Planet Longitude Latitude Right Asc. Declination
Sun 18 Leo 21'12" 0?00'00" 09:23:09 15?19'36"
Moon 18 Leo 21'12" 0?29'49" 09:23:47 15?47'57"
Moon's Node 12 Leo 58'12"R 0?00'00" 09:01:44 16?55'12"
Apogee 25 Sgr 50'35"R 3?52'31" 17:42:24 -19?29'56"
Mercury 00 Leo 09'48" - 2?00'37" 08:07:36 18?08'59"
Venus 02 Vir 09'16"R - 6?50'32" 10:06:46 4?18'37"
Mars 16 Sco 50'53" - 1?40'06" 14:55:32 -18?28'03"
Jupiter 04 Tau 40'52" - 1?21'57" 02:11:31 11?47'37"
Saturn 16 Tau 52'36" - 2?23'56" 03:00:28 14?34'32"

source: www.ephemeris.com

Venus was far from the ecliptic.

Speaking about cazimi it comes into my mind that if, contrary to cumbustion, the cazimi is positive and strengthening the cazimi planet, how can this be reconciled with the idea that an eclipse is usually seen as a bad sign? A solar eclipse is namely the cazimi of the Moon.
If a planet is within 0?17' of the Sun, however, it is termed Cazimi, 'in the heart of the Sun', a position of great dignity from where it benefits by being 'at one' with the Sun's influence.
from: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/heritage/egyptians.html , in footnote 3