Which element is your Grand Trine in Kirk?
Water. I leave puddles everywhere.

. . . I've never met an opposition I didn't like.

Such a configuration was considered evil by medieval writers and unfortunately this view appears to be not without foundation
With all due respect, unless he provided a quote from these "medieval writers" I would say that he was just making this up
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

I haven't come across such medieval writings about grand trines. I would appreciate it if anyone has information and is up to starting a new thread in the traditional section.
Me either. I've never seen a traditional reference to a T-square, grand cross or anything else like it. In fact in Book 23 of Astrologia Gallica, Morin discusses the chart of King of Sweden Gustav Adolphus and this poor boy has the nastiest T-square you can imagine. Yet the phrase never comes from Morin's pen. Also there is no mention of the "empty leg" either. I don't think any of these things have a traditional basis.

And as long as we're playing, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours," I have a mystic rectangle in my chart - a completely useless configuration and concept if there ever was one.

Tom

With all due respect, unless he provided a quote from these "medieval writers" I would say that he was just making this up
He never struck me as someone who just made things up. I admire the way he can make a concise astrological point with few words. His equating of signs and houses does make my toes curl, however.

I've always felt that a chart without an opposition is like a day without sunshine.

Mystic Rectangle ? now there's a real knee-slapper. I would have no idea what to do with that one.

I could see them discussing grand trines without using the modern terminology. They would probably speak in terms of the triplicities.
Also there is no mention of the "empty leg" either.
Have we moved on to stockings?

Oppositions are like stockings: they can both appear as nets, depending on the style.

[It would be a lot easier if Deb just showed up.]

Tom wrote:
Me either. I've never seen a traditional reference to a T-square, grand cross or anything else like it. In fact in Book 23 of Astrologia Gallica, Morin discusses the chart of King of Sweden Gustav Adolphus and this poor boy has the nastiest T-square you can imagine. Yet the phrase never comes from Morin's pen. Also there is no mention of the "empty leg" either. I don't think any of these things have a traditional basis.
This is what I had always assumed. Although Skyscript has overturned many of my assumptions in the past.

Kirk wrote:
Mystic Rectangle ? now there's a real knee-slapper. I would have no idea what to do with that one.
Thats a piece of cake. You should study Huber astrology on aspects patterns! They have created a whole new set of them. My personal favourite is called the UFO. :???:

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

I have a mystic rectangle in my chart - a completely useless configuration and concept if there ever was one.
There's nothing particularly mystical about the mystic rectangle but it is far from useless. It is a rectangle whose trines and sextiles contain two oppositions (bringing us back to the subject at hand).

I find that clients readily agree that it's true when you say that this pattern describes them as someone who is adept at containing stress, so he/she can be fired up by the tension of the oppositions, but still maintain a composed (trine/sextile) exterior so other people have no idea how much tension he/she is feeling inside. This is a marker of a high achieving person because it combines motivation with the ability to go with the flow and smooth the edges of the oppositions. It also gives a gift for synthesis.

I'm not sure if I originally got this from the Hubers (whose books are quirky but do contain good information), or from Bil Tierney's book on Aspects which is excellent.

Tara

I hear Deb coming . . . . . . Yes sirree, those oppositions are mighty important.
Actually I find that people are much less likely to argue over trines than oppositions, so I don't mind if the discussion drifts into pleasantries.

However, as is the nature of this thread, the debate got a bit snappy again.
Sorry to anyone whose recent post got deleted, but the broom came out as someone predicted it should. I'm going to leave the last word with Tara. Lets move on ...