Alictisa or Al-ittisal

This concept is mentioned in chapters 30 and 15 of Abu 'Ali al-Khayyat and I am trying to apply it to a chart at the moment.

The MC is in Virgo and Mercury is in Gemini so dignified. If he applies to Mars, ruler of ascendant Scorpio, albeit by square in Pisces does this bode well for the native's place in the kingdom? Mars BTW is right between Caput Draconis and the IC

In this particular instance their is one complication. Mercury is retrograde but does station and start to apply after three days. Does this rule it out?

Matt

[/i]

Hi Matt ... technically, according to Sahl Ibn Bishr "Alitisal is when a planet that is light and swift goes to the conjunction of another planet that is slower and heavier, and the lighter planet has fewer degrees than the slower one, so long as it will go to it until it is joined to it and is in such a minute by aspect." p.13 "The Introduction to the Science of the Judgments of the Stars" trans. by James Holden.

Schmidt, in "Definitions and Foundations" says the Greeks used the term figural conjunction to describe the perfection of aspects vs bodily conjunctions and the Arabs do seem to use conjunction in both ways i.e. in speaking of bodily conjunctions and aspects.

Having said that, I wouldn't think Mercury in Gemini applying to the square of Mars in Pisces was a good thing for the native as Pisces is Mercury's Fall. Strikes me that the native's reputation (Mercury ruling 10th) will be harmed by something the native does (Mars ruling Asc). The nature of the harm would depend on Mars placement and rulerships.

Mercury being retro might be showing a situation connected with the career that 'comes back to haunt' the native. Or it could mean the reputation is harmed but then restored. Again, this is just conjecture based on retrograde usually indicating a return of some kind.