Return of Virtue in nativity

Dear all,

It's been 2 years after my last posting. :lol: This time I want to have a talk about Return of Virtue, one of medieval concepts, with you.

Though by experience I know RoV works generally well in horary, I'm not sure it can be applied to nativity in the same way as horary. We select and observe some necessary planets(querent and quesited) in horary, not all seven planets, and mostly it's enough for us to draw a conclusion with them. It's quite a different story, however, in nativity. Even if several planets are debilitated miserably and hardly thinkable to take proper roles in some fields of native's life, we cannot simply exclude them in the course of natal interpretation. They are fated to make their appearance in due time, eventually through direction, firdar, profection, etc.

Let me give you an example - Luna in 9th degree of Cancer, Mars retrograde and in the first station in 12th degree of Aries, Jupiter in 15th degree of Pisces, Saturn in 10th degree of Leo. Mars is the first applied planet for Luna, and other 3 planets(Sol, Mercury, Venus) are outside the scheme with regard to frustration and interruption.

If RoV works technically in the nativity, Luna will commit disposition to Mars at first, but Mars will return the disposition to her because of his retrograde motion and disadvantageous phase, then with some corruption she will receive it back, in the end she will commit it to dignified Jupiter under exaltation reception. Final result will be fairly fortunate.

If RoV doesn't work so well in the nativity, Mars will not return the disposition to Luna. He'll first retain it, then commit it to applying Saturn. Saturn is greater malefic in detriment, fall lord of Mars, and also detriment lord of Luna. Saturn will reject and destroy the matter in the end.

I don't think that so-called 'final result' always appears during that specific period, but generally we can tell some overall tendency - fortunate or unfortunate. As for cases similar with the example mentioned above, in my experience, overall tendency or result was not so 'fairly fortunate' even if I allow for the fact that RoV is usually followed by some 'corruption'.

I would love to hear comments from anyone interested or experienced in the application of RoV. :D
Sh'zar

Re: Return of Virtue in nativity

Sh'zar wrote: Though by experience I know RoV works generally well in horary, I'm not sure it can be applied to nativity in the same way as horary.

I would love to hear comments from anyone interested or experienced in the application of RoV. :D
to me return of virtue works in nativities too.

When we study a chart, we don't check if there are mutual reception, do we?

And when we study chronocrators and rulers of a given period, we don't take into consideration if they are well or ill disposed in the natal chart?

So I would include it without any doubt,
margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com