Indeed Mark, but can we really separate the philosophy from the practice, in practice, if you see what I mean?

Long ago when I studied tarot the teacher said we should not confine ourselves to marriages,jobs,money &c as people may well be wanting something deeper in their readings.I am sure the same remains true if this topic is anything to go by.

Regards all

Matt

Indeed Mark, but can we really separate the philosophy from the practice, in practice, if you see what I mean?
Well perhaps not in real life but on Skyscript forum yes! :D

Seriously, though I dont mind combining the two here as long as the moderators accept your outlook.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Several thoughts and replies?

Deb Wrote

"But no matter what self-affirmation techniques is used, no matter what herbal remedy is applied, if a man suffers from male-pattern baldness then a Saturn transit will trigger that and hair loss will occur. That?s a typically Saturn-opp-Uranus example."

Granny asks: So what would be typical for a woman? (you intrigued me I hadn?t heard that one before)

Olivia Said ?I'm not sure how you do that any better than he has done. I'm also not sure why so many people are so insensitive. Well, no, I do know. It's because they believe if these things happen to you - you deserve them. Not making assumptions here, they've out and out said it. Wow. Amazing level of maturity in this society. Schoolyard bullies who never grew up.?
And new age issue?

Granny replies (rather long)

I don?t tell most of my life stories because people tend not to believe them, I?ve done some interesting things in life. I notice people tend to NOT believe that bad things happen without reason, they tend to NOT believe you couldn?t have somehow avoided some bad thing etc and in general don?t know how to respond to such deep and frightening issues (in my experience) I generally find that you are better off not to discuss the really scary stuff with people who haven?t experienced terrible loss or tragedy because they are incapable of getting it. Sort of like a person describing how childbirth feels who?s never given birth, really some things just don?t translate. or in short, they are Frightened and frightened people TEND to respond poorly.

Now having said all that I?m going to use a Dwyer quote because I think it is one of the most sensible things I?ve ever heard. ?there is no Rewind in life.? That which is, is and that which has happened has happened and the only thing you have control over is your response to these things. I find it interesting that several persons have talked about stoicism and then bad mouthed having a positive attitude in the same breath and what is stoicism but facing difficulty with your best face forward? The entire new age message about facing adversity with a smile is stoicism by another name.

As to changing your life with positive thinking or behavior, do you think that the hiring manager down the street wants to hire the stone faced hair shirt wearing martyr? Or the person who comes in with a smile and keeps their personal tragedies personal? How about relationships? Do you think the first thing some man or woman wants to hear from you when they meet is about your tragic past? Or perhaps that is something to save for when you know each other better and sharing sad parts of your life is more appropriate? Or with neighbors, how many of your neighbors do you think have experienced anything remotely as terrifying as losing loved ones to violent tragedy and can have any remote understanding? Even if people empathise with tragedy, they dont want to listen to the martyrs tale for the most part, those that do generally aren't interested in the person but in fixing you (unless its your therapist I dont recommend hanging out with people who want to fix you, it isn't really you they care about) This is my opinion, others may vary.

The kind of loss you suggest is generally found in PTSS survival groups, sometimes in rape survival groups, but rarely by society at large and those persons will shut down on you because they don?t want to face such tragedy or loss, it brings it to close to them and it frightens them. If you ask them to listen, you will be sorely disappointed in the responses you receive.

As to the idea that one chooses ones life path before one gets here. I find that an academic exercise to which one can not possibly know the answer until one has passed from this life. It is perhaps worth noting that the people who tend to promote this theory have lived lives that had some rather extreme trauma?s in them and are perhaps applying their own self judgment to the world at large. Martyr complexes are NOT unheard of reactions to PTSS, or another term is survivors guilt. You might re-read those works with that thought in mind and see what you think the poor writers of such might have gone through to give them survivors guilt.

Yuzuru noted ?4 - Life Theater - Robert Hand has a strange theory that if you "act" the aspect or planet, it will work in a good way. He gives an example of an actress who "had all the signs of alcoholism" and instead of being alcoholic, she played one on theater. I would ask why so many actor seem to have so awful lives, but that?s me. John Frawley said something similar that if someone didn?t played the aspect "in a good way", life would make things happen by itself, usually in a crappy way.?

ROFL, Yuzuru, I have heard several times how I should beware of alcoholism? of which I don?t have, rarely have more than a handful of drinks in a year, But I have several addictive personalities in my life I must admit, I used to wonder if the addictive persons were in my life, because I refuse to be an addicted person? (and no I don?t see my parents going away, though my ex did manage to get himself killed on his birthday so one alcoholic down and a few others to go) I?m not sure Rob Hand is entirely wrong on his idea. But it requires more observation I think?although my parents certainly wont be here forever, Dad was diagnosed with cancer and will die within the next few years, maybe sooner rather than later, Pluto is criss crossing opposition to his natal sun.
but anyway I do wonder if one can precipitate some ugly transits with forethought? I tried to save up a lot of money to survive this down economy but I've run out long ago, so I'm not sure its doable.

Thank you all for the food for thought! again my opinion, others may vary. Can you do astrology without facing this question? Probably multiple times?

Granny

Why I went away from astrology for such a long time is you're not supposed to tell your astrologer, either - at least a lot of them. Cos they just won't get it.

And then with the free will and all the rest of it....