Significator for mother-in-law figure

Hi,

Would someone be able to give me some insight on which house to use to signify the mother of a partner the querent has separated from.

As a grandparent of the querent's child, I thought they could be signified by 8th house (4th from the 5th).

As mother of the ex, they could be 10th from the 7th, which would give them the 4th house.

As a parent of the ex they could be given the 10th?

I know the 9th house is given for in-laws, but is this limited to siblings?

I lean toward them being represented by the 4th house, but Im not sure.
Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Red Shoes

Hi Red Shoes,

It depends on who the querent is. Your original question was "which house to use to signify the mother of a partner the querent has separated from." Presuming you have created a chart to signify the separating querent, the mother-in-law (not the querent's parent) would be signified by the 4th house or, the 10th from the 7th, as you suggested.

However, you also asked "As a grandparent of the querent's child, I thought they could be signified by 8th house (4th from the 5th)." This brings you into the picture. Again, it depends on how the question is worded as to which house you would pick, of course. Everything revolves around the querent. Is it you as the grandparent? Or is it the separating querent who has a mother-in-law question? Yes, you are right, that as a grandparent of the querent's child, presuming you must be the mother-in-law, otherwise you would be signified by 10th house as parent of the querent. This is like a riddle... :D

You also asked "I know the 9th house is given for in-laws, but is this limited to siblings?" But I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the spouse's brothers and sisters. In that case, they would be sister/brother-in-law. The 9th also represents grandchildren (5th from the 5th).

I've probably muddied the waters but thought I'd have a go anyway. Cheers.
Sandra Lacey
As above, So below

Hello

Interesting question. I think I'd be guided by the context of the question and the discussion around it.

e.g.

If the children aren't relevant in the matter being enquired about, then why count from the 5th?

If it's the 'querent's (ex) mother in-law' part that's most relevant, then surely counting from the 7th makes most sense?

I checked Deb's book on the houses and found nothing about mothers/fathers-in-law.

There was a reference to the 4th being about grandparents in general, though obviously in this case it's not the querent's grandparents being asked about. Nevertheless the unturned 4th could signify grandparents issues.

I think that unless the children were central to the issue I wouldn't make the chart pivot on them.

I'd go for the most direct route to get to the mother-in-law's house. She was the mother of the ex before the grandchildren came along.

I think too that any house generally denoting in-laws is too vague for something as 'angular' as parenthood and grandparenthood. The mother-in-law is far too significant to be seen as part of a generalised group of relatives or in-laws, to my way of thinking.

Regards

H.

Hi handn,

That is a really good point that you raise about the importance of the grandparents role and hence the angular house seems more appropriate.

Although, in the cases of divorce, or if there was no legal marriage, an (ex) mother in-law has no direct relationship to the querent, and giving them in an angular house seems to give them equal standing or even authority over the querent, when the relationship between them seems less. Perhaps they should be delegated to the weaker house. In these cases, the resulting relationship is as a grandparent to the querent's children, and that is why I wondered if you should count from the 5th house, which gives you the eighth or use the ninth.

But yes, it would have to do with the context of the question.

Thanks for your insight.
redshoes