Decennials

If someone here has any experience with Decennials, I would appreciate any feedback.

Concerning the beginning planet, am I right in assuming that one chooses the Sun for a day birth or Moon for a night birth on the condition that they be well placed in the WSH chart (houses 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 11); if not well placed (houses 2, 6, 8, 12) then one starts with the first planet after the Ascendant in zodiacal order?

So far I have read on the subject Valens Anthology VI, Firmicus Maternus' Matheseos Libri VIII, Joseph Crane's Hellenistic Legacy, Bruce Scofield's article on Alabe's site and a few posts on forums

Thank you for your ideas or opinions on this subject

james

Re: Decennials

jerd wrote:If someone here has any experience with Decennials, I would appreciate any feedback.

Concerning the beginning planet, am I right in assuming that one chooses the Sun for a day birth or Moon for a night birth on the condition that they be well placed in the WSH chart (houses 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 11); if not well placed (houses 2, 6, 8, 12) then one starts with the first planet after the Ascendant in zodiacal order?

So far I have read on the subject Valens Anthology VI, Firmicus Maternus' Matheseos Libri VIII, Joseph Crane's Hellenistic Legacy, Bruce Scofield's article on Alabe's site and a few posts on forums
Thank you for bringing up a subject near and dear to my heart, since Decennials are the one chronocrator system with different sources within the Hellenistic tradition.
If memory serves, simply beginning with the luminary of sect is a fine alternative although Valens does use planetary condition by house or place as important.
Are you using the 360-day year or the conventional year? I suggest the former and to do the calculations yourself if you don't have software (Sirius, Delphic Oracle) for it.
Good luck and I -- and I'm sure others -- would like to know what you come onto.
Joseph

Re: Decennials

josephc wrote: If memory serves, simply beginning with the luminary of sect is a fine alternative although Valens does use planetary condition by house or place as important.
Are you using the 360-day year or the conventional year? I suggest the former and to do the calculations yourself if you don't have software (Sirius, Delphic Oracle) for it.
Good luck and I -- and I'm sure others -- would like to know what you come onto.
Joseph
Hello josephc and thank you for your feedback. I am currently using the 360-day year and I do the calculations myself; I have checked the calculations with the results of people who have Delphic Oracle and everything is ok at that end.

Basically it's the choice of the planet to start off with that is unclear. As you say: "simply beginning with the luminary of sect is a fine alternative"; although I am intrigued by Valens' planetary condition by house.

Anyway I'll go on working with decennials and compare results using the luminaries where applicable and/or go along with Valens' idea of house placement.

james

Hello James,

I also use the 360 day-year system. i don't have Delphic Oracle so what I did was to create my own program using Excel.

My current algorithm (I'm still testing/improving)of determining the planet to start with:

Start with luminary in sect that is not cadent and not in aversion.
If this is not possible than use the out of sect luminary provided that it is not cadent and not in aversion. If this is also not possible, then use the planet that rises after the sun (but not combust or under sun's beams - hellenistically this should be planet 15 deg away from the sun) and most angular.

astrojin wrote:If this is also not possible, then use the planet that rises after the sun (but not combust or under sun's beams - hellenistically this should be planet 15 deg away from the sun) and most angular.

Thank you astrojin, I will add this new criteria to my list; it might take a while but I'm sure we will end up with something worthwhile using in our work.