Then you need to know the traditional order of the planets:

Saturn
Jupiter
Mars
Sun
Venus
Mercury
Moon

For the planetary hours, you take the planet that rules that day. That planet rules the 1st hour of the day and the first hour of night.

For instance, on Monday:
1st hour - Moon
2nd - Saturn
3rd - Jupiter
4th - Mars
5th - Sun
6th - Venus
7th - Mercury
8th - Moon

And so on.

However, the hours are not the same as the hours of the clock. The 1st hour of the day is taken at sunrise, and the 1st hour of night is sunset. An entire day is sunrise to sunrise. For instance for my location, yesterday was Sunday so the Sun ruled. Its first hour was at 5:39am.

To figure out daytime hours, you find the sunrise and sunset time and divide by 12. Do the same for night except do sunset to sunrise. The hours may be more or less than a clock hour. They will also change every day.

I know Agrippa's "Three Books of Occult Philosophy" talks about this.

If you're talking about everyday prediction then you need to know what the significators of the hours rule, and follow them. Mercury could indicate commerce, it could also indicate thievery, scribes, etc.

And on we go through the day.

Magical? It's probably in Agrippa (it's been a long time since I've read his stuff), and there's also a fair bit of material in the Picatrix.

There may be a modern book or two around on the subject of planetary hours, as well, and they are used in some forms of herbalism.

You will find the use of planetary hours discussed at the 'sports section'. I do feel that we are trying to track 'effect' here, in various ways. There is also some material on my site, but this also deals with the question of radicality: http://www.astronor.com/hours.htm

I am not accustumed with the planetary hours being used in mundane work either. I think the explaination is that the Days of the Week and the Hours are a civil factor and not a natural one.
Last edited by Andrew Bevan on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astronor.com