Solar Eclipse 22 july 2009

22 july 2009 there will be a total solar eclipse. Here are the planetary positions from www.ephemeris.com for the moment of new moon.

Date/Time: 2009.07.22 02:34:32 UTC (GMT - Delta T), JD = 2455034.607315
Sidereal Time: 22:34:28, Delta T = 69.6 seconds
Geocentric positions

Phase of Moon: 1.000 (0.000=New; 0.250=First 1/4; 0.500=Full; 0.750=Last 1/4)

Planet Longitude Latitude Right Asc. Declination
Sun 29 Cnc 26'31" 0?00'00" 08:06:24 20?16'03"
Moon 29 Cnc 26'31" 0?04'17" 08:06:28 20?20'15"
Moon's Node 00 Aqr 12'49" 0?00'00" 20:09:37 -20?06'18"
Apogee 24 Cap 58'17"R - 0?29'07" 19:48:01 -21?36'50"
Mercury 08 Leo 26'34" 1?48'07" 08:45:28 19?53'31"
Venus 18 Gem 38'27" - 2?05'49" 05:11:22 20?51'51"
Mars 06 Gem 58'09" - 0?25'28" 04:20:52 21?03'19"
Jupiter 24 Aqr 57'19"R - 1?00'55" 21:50:21 -14?09'36"
Saturn 18 Vir 21'39" 2?00'12" 11:20:21 6?26'48"
Uranus 26 Psc 27'09"R - 0?46'58" 23:48:13 - 2?07'43"
Neptune 25 Aqr 46'21"R - 0?24'40" 21:52:41 -13?18'57"
Pluto 01 Cap 16'56"R 5?41'23" 18:05:21 -17?44'37"

Here is more info and maps etc.
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/TSE ... E2009.html
More detailed info
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEpubs/200 ... 14169a.pdf

Some interesting facts:
- The eclipse is the longest of the 21st century.
- Related to the first fact is that the Moon is in perigee (closest to Earth) only a couple of hours (at 20:14 UT) before new moon.
- Because the eclipse path crosses the date line the eclipse starts at the (local) morning of the 22nd in India and ends at the (local) evening the 21st in the East Pacific Ocean.
- The Lunar node is only within 1? distance from the Sun-Moon. (in the 31 May 2003 eclipse the distance was 10?)

In an (1930?s) astrology book I saw some analysis of the First World War in which the crossing of Mars over the point of the Sun-Moon position of a couple of months before was mentioned.

The first planets that are to aspect the 29?26,5? Cancer point are Mercury - sextile on 25 August, Venus ? conjunct on 26 August (Moon is and square to the point and to Venus 24 August) Mars is in semi-sextile to the eclipse point on 24 August. A weak aspect but worth mentioning because it coincides with the mentioned positions of Mercury Venus and therefore forming square with Mercury and a semi-square with Venus).

Then we?ll have to wait a while till 15 October Mars is conjunct the point 24 October Saturn is in sextile aspect to the point.

Can predictions be made from this? The eclipse chart itself doesn?t seem to show some extraordinary positions, or it should be the Jupiter Neptune conjunction. The eclipse point is in sextile aspect to Uranus.

The path of the eclipse is said to be important in astrology. Two things caught my attention.
First, the eclipse path goes through the northern part of Bangladesh. A just north of Bangladesh and south of Bhutan is the Indian state of Meghalaya. Here is one of the wettest places on Earth to be found, Cherrapunji with an annual precipitation of over 11 metres Since the monsoon period in this part of Asia is from June till November, I believe there could be an more than average rainfall in with perhaps extreme flooding in Bangladesh. Every few years extreme floods threat this area.

Further the eclipse path has it?s maximum duration south east of Japan (see the red dot on the picture in the Nasa link). Close to the moment of new moon 2:34UT. Only a few islands are here like the historical Iwo Jima. Page 68 of the detailed info link of NASA shows that this area has a high average number of typhoons of 47 in the month of July. More to the south, near the Philippines the number is higher. This is not the most significant issue that drew my attention but interesting to know. The NASA global map http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/TSE ... lobe1a.JPG shows that this area is very close to the Mariana trench, with a depth of over 11 kilometres it is the deepest trench of the world. This trench and other trenches in the Pacific are part of the networks of fraction zones. This part is known as the ?Ring of fire?. http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/dynamic/fire.html http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorati ... globe.html
Perhaps an earthquake could strike this area. An earthquake so deep may not cause many damage. I?m no geophysicist but perhaps an earthquake over here could cause some resonance and make an earthquake happen somewhere else. In 1999 there was the solar eclipse of 11 august. Within one week 17 august Turkey (which was in the path of the eclipse was struck by a severe earthquake).

Further there was another big earthquake 20 September 1999 in Taiwan. Taiwan wasn?t in the path of the eclipse but I noticed that the difference in longitude on earth is 90?. I wonder if this ?square? could have something to do with it. In the July 2009 eclipse this could mean that California could get more seismic activity. The Mariana trench is about 90? in earth longitude apart from the ocean before California?s coast and both areas are part of the ?Ring of fire?.

It should be noted though that the August 1999 eclipse chart was (astrologically spoken) an extraordinary one because the eclipse point was square to Mars in Scorpio and square to Saturn in Taurus and opposite Uranus. Further there was a lunar eclipse two weeks earlier with the eclipse point square to Jupiter in Taurus, square to Mars in Scorpio and opposition to Neptune. If eclipses and earthquakes are certainly related the July 2009 eclipse with its fewer number of aspects probably and hopefully may not coincide with such big ones as in 1999.

Here are the reports of the most recent seismic activity
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

Thank you, Eddy, for this extensive information!
Perhaps an earthquake could strike this area. An earthquake so deep may not cause many damage. I?m no geophysicist but perhaps an earthquake over here could cause some resonance and make an earthquake happen somewhere else.
An earthquake on the ground of the sea or the ocean is the cause for a Tsunami or seaquake and to my knowledge it does not matter how deep it is. Cotrariwise the deeper the water, the more compound is moved. The real danger begins when the rather low wave, which moves at the speed of an airplane in all directions, reaches flat water and the coast or shore as we have seen December 26, 2004 around the Indian Ocean.

Johannes

July 22nd Eclipse

Very informative post Eddy?thanks. I think your analysis about the 1999 eclipse point being dynamically aspected with squares to Mars & Saturn and opposing Uranus hits the bullseye for offering the symbolism for the devastating Turkey Quake. As you pointed out--fortunately the July 22nd eclipse is not dynamically aspected so maybe the planet can escape any major damage.

I also think your perceptions about flooding may hold some possible merit. Donald Bradley did a-lot research with Sun/Moon ingress charts in the 50?s and found when Jupiter was on an angle in certain locations?there was much rainfall. Since the July 22nd eclipse features a tight Jupiter-Neptune conjunction?this could be symbolizing flooding damage and since Neptune has a certain amount of rulership with Seas?this could be a hit for you with your observations about a hot spot on the planet for typhoons.

When I read your post, it reminded me of the May 21ST 1993 Eclipse in 0 degree Gemini which was partile square Saturn in 0 degree Pisces. When transiting Mars reached 0 degree Virgo on June 23rd 1993 it began a flood in the Midwest US which was referred too as a 500 year flood. Transiting Mars, at times does indeed offer important symbolism for Eclipse Charts.

I also believe the eclipse path of the July 22nd Eclipse covers the largest portion of land mass (India & China) involving billions of people?the most by any Eclipse path in the last several hundred years. Will be interesting to monitor any possible symbolic effects of this unique Eclipse.

Regards, Steve
With all our modern knowledge and scientific equipment, and with the the great strides made in mathematics, we astrologers have done nothing to even remotely compare with the achievements of the astrologers of antiquity. Cyril Fagan

Steve wrote:Footnote: With all our modern knowledge and scientific equipment, and with the the great strides made in mathematics, we astrologers have done nothing to even remotely compare with the achievements of the astrologers of antiquity. Cyril Fagan
This statement should be discussed at the Philosophy and Science section, if it already hasn't. Because astrology was the seed for the later blossomings of science. Science has not yet succeeded in returning the gesture, but will get there.
http://www.astronor.com

One way to look at eclipse charts is to relate them to the previous Aries Ingress. The Ingress, may be compared to a national chart as some folks do. For the USA I tend to avoid July 4 charts as there are so many of them. One chart worth looking at is the Saturn Jupiter conjunction that preceded American Independence, cast it for the then non-existent Washington DC and then look for things triggered by the Ingress and eclipse. If this doesn't sit well, use Philadelphia. It hardly changes the chart.

Sept 18, 1762
4:41 GMT (NOTE GMT)
Washington, DC, USA
8 Cancer 49 rises
18 Pisces 28 is on the MC
Conjunction occurs at 12 Aries 21

Aries Ingress 2009
7:43:40 AM
Washington DC USA
11 Aries 45 Rises
6 Capricorn 28 is on the MC.

This is indicative of a significant ingress as the ASC falls on the 1762 conjunction and the MC of the Ingress falls on the DSC of the 1762 Chart. Mercury in the Ingress 12th falls on the 1762 MC indicating secrets, documents, something is coming to light. The 1762 MC falling on the Ingress could be an indication of war or could mean government falling. The USA is stable and we don't have a parliamentary system, so I'll have to give this more than the cursory examination I've given it so far.

Quickly moving to the eclipse:

Jul 22 2009
2:35 18 GMT (careful)
Washington DC
16 Pisces 21 rises
22 Sag 28 on the MC

NOTE: this time works out to July 21, 2009, 10:35:18 PM EDT

The eclipse ASC is on the 1762 MC giving it further emphasis. What is eye catching is Saturn, ruler of the eclipse 11th (Congress) and 12th (secrets) is setting in the eclipse chart and falls almost exactly on the 1762 IC (endings). Now Congress isn't coming to an end, but something appears to be ending. Again we have regularly scheduled elections. If we had a parliamentary system I might be tempted to think an election would be called and the current majority tossed out or seriously weakened. Under the American system I can't see how this could happen short of an attack on DC while Congress is in session, and I don't see that.

Anyway the point of the post is to show how the eclipse chart can be used. Others will use different USA charts and I'm sure different methods.

Tom

Hi there it strikes me that this eclipse may very specifically highlight China. The last point of mainland Asian contact is at Shanghai where they experience a whole 6 minutes of darkness. Shanghai of course is a symbol and powerhouse of Chinese economic power. I wonder if China is entering a period of economic turbulence? I notice that if you erect the eclipse chart for the capital the tight Venus- Saturn square spans the 9th and 12th Houses (Regiom). Its tempting to see this in terms of ethnic and religious unrest with an economic angle, ie haves and have nots , within China and a strong crackdown???
mike c

You raise a couple of good points, Mike, and I think you point out some advantages of the "system" I mentioned. It is a very rough outline of Morin's use of the Ingresses and eclipses in what we call mundane astrology. He called it "universal" astrology." The word "universal is key. Morin believed the planets exert their influence equally and in the identical manner on everything. The difference in result is the difference in how it was received. "The Sun melts wax and hardens clay," was a favorite saying of his. He incorporated this into mundane astrology. The power of the ingresses were distributed all over the earth in the same manner. It is how they were received that made the difference. We determine how that power is received by erecting the chart for the different locations. The Sun is in each of the 12 houses somewhere on earth at the same moment. The Sun "behaves" or is received differently in house one than in house six so the difference in result is determined by the house placement. The longitude of the planets is the same in every ingress chart.

The other point is made by every mundane astrologer who has ever bothered to study the subject. We need more than one chart to make sense of it; usually several are required. In order to do the eclipse properly for, say Washington, DC, we need the national chart, the Ingress cast for Washington, the eclipse chart, and perhaps the summer solstice chart, plus the chart of the President. Not too many are willing to do that kind of work so they look at transits to July 4 charts.

The situation in China was, to my knowledge completely unexpected to most if not all observers*. I'm reminded of a story George Bush told that relates to Chinese unrest (whether it relates to this particular situation or not, I'm not certain). When the leader of China (I'm having a senior moment and can't recall his name) was visiting Washington and staying in the White House, W asked him, "What keeps you up at night?" It was a good question. The answer was food distribution to the rural provinces and what happens if, because of lack of food, all the Chinese peasants move from the countryside to the cities to survive. The cities cannot support them all. He knew that. That would keep me up at night, too.

We all need to read The Camp of the Saints by Jean Raspail (1973) available in English translation. Look at the world after reading that novel and you'll stay up at night.

Tom

edit 1: *I just read a little about the riots in China. It seems they are religious in origin and in a wealthy province.

Thanks for the replies,
johannes susato wrote:An earthquake on the ground of the sea or the ocean is the cause for a Tsunami or seaquake and to my knowledge it does not matter how deep it is. Cotrariwise the deeper the water, the more compound is moved. The real danger begins when the rather low wave, which moves at the speed of an airplane in all directions, reaches flat water and the coast or shore as we have seen December 26, 2004 around the Indian Ocean.
The Tsunami disaster would be interesting to examine by the way. It had a magnitude of over 9. I didn't see 2004 eclipse charts occuring in the Indian Ocean but I saw one in 2002 in teh Southern part of the Indian Ocean.

Perhaps a long period but in Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos II.6 there is a 'time code' for the duration of the effect. One month per hour of duration of a lunar eclipse per hour and one year for every hour of the solar eclipse.
The 22 july one lasts 3 hours and 25 minutes, so it would have an effect of 3 years and 5 months. So perhaps this could be also applied to eclipses.
Steve wrote:I also think your perceptions about flooding may hold some possible merit. Donald Bradley did a-lot research with Sun/Moon ingress charts in the 50?s and found when Jupiter was on an angle in certain locations?there was much rainfall. Since the July 22nd eclipse features a tight Jupiter-Neptune conjunction?this could be symbolizing flooding damage and since Neptune has a certain amount of rulership with Seas?this could be a hit for you with your observations about a hot spot on the planet for typhoons.
Since I mainly look at aspects I may have overlooked some traditional features. Another 'water' issue namely is the fact that the eclipse occurs in Cancer. That's the Moon's rulership sign, so the Moon should be in her element here. Is Sun in Cancer 'peregrine'?

In mid October there is not only the square of Mars and the sextile of Saturn to the eclipse point, but there are more issues. The eclipse point is in the end of Cancer. This is close to opposition to the degree of Mars' exaltation in 28?Capricorn. I don't know if it makes sense that Mars in square with this point but in addition Mars in Libra is in detriment. Furthermore in the same period of October Sun is in fall in Libra (in 19? on the 12th). Venus will be in sextile with the eclipse point but in Virgo she is in fall too (in 27? on the 12th and exact sextile is 14th). On the 12th the Moon transits the eclipse point.
Tom wrote:One way to look at eclipse charts is to relate them to the previous Aries Ingress.
I'm not sure if the LIbra Ingress is as meaningful as the Aries Ingress but in the Libra ingress chart the Cauda Draconis is in 28? (after having crossed the exact eclipse point 6 september). Jim Tester's 'History of Western Astrology' p.196 mentions that Caput is said to be of Venus/Jupiter nature and Cauda of Mars/Saturn nature. Although I know that Caput and Cauda Draconis are given their exaltation in Gemini and Sgittarius respectively (Tester p.166), I'd prefer to give the exaltations to planets alone. Given the natures then the Mars and Saturn nature wouldn't do quite well in Cancer (a sort of fall and detriment respectively) on the other side I'd believe the 'Jupiter' nature of Caput being in Capricorn wouldn't do good either. Saturn entering Libra (exaltation sign) will aspect square the eclipse point early October 2012, so within the 3years and 5 months of the Ptolemy calculation but I'm not sure what to think about this. If I go too far with all this in having fantasies or erroneous thoughts please mention it. I'm not at all sure where the idea came from that the eclipse points can be considered as 'radix' points to be aspected in later times.
MikeCoop wrote:Hi there it strikes me that this eclipse may very specifically highlight China. The last point of mainland Asian contact is at Shanghai where they experience a whole 6 minutes of darkness. Shanghai of course is a symbol and powerhouse of Chinese economic power. I wonder if China is entering a period of economic turbulence? I notice that if you erect the eclipse chart for the capital the tight Venus- Saturn square spans the 9th and 12th Houses (Regiom). Its tempting to see this in terms of ethnic and religious unrest with an economic angle, ie haves and have nots , within China and a strong crackdown???
mike c
Mentioning China and the eclipse path over Shanghai is indeed interesting. Since a couple of days there have been riots in Xinjiang West China of Uygur people against discrimination by China.
Thanks for menioning the Venus Saturn square, it seems to have escaped my notice. A bit looking around on the internet shows that this year is the year of the Ox and Saturn is closely realted to the Ox sign. In Chinese astrology Saturn (related to the element earth) represents patience and reliability rather than the Western malefic nature. Venus though instead of being like the Western love planet, is related to the Chinese element metal and to war. It may be dangerous to mix astrological systems but could that square signify some intensivation of revolts in a later stage? Venus (the planet of Islam/the Uyguric people are Islamic) against the Saturnine traditional Chinese Confucius based culture?

About the economy I'm not sure. China seems to be remaining strong in the crisis. Perhaps a struggling period comes from which China may rise stronger than ever while other countries stay behind. But Shanghai is worth keeping in mind. Note that first contact of the eclipse path with Asia's mainland is close to Mumbai/Bombay. The path will also cross Bhopal, known of the chemical factory disaster in december 1984 almost 25 years ago. http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEpubs/200 ... 14169a.pdf p. 50etc. for more detailed eclipse maps.

I'm not sure if the LIbra Ingress is as meaningful as the Aries Ingress

It's not, at least in the Morinus system. It is subordinate to the Aries Ingress, meaning, as I understand it, it is used with the Aries Ingress, not alone.
but in the Libra ingress chart the Cauda Draconis is in 28? (after having crossed the exact eclipse point 6 September). Jim Tester's 'History of Western Astrology' p.196 mentions that Caput is said to be of Venus/Jupiter nature and Cauda of Mars/Saturn nature. Although I know that Caput and Cauda Draconis are given their exaltation in Gemini and Sagittarius respectively (Tester p.166), <snip>
The question of the nodes has been around and will be around for a long time. Just what do they "do" or "mean?" In traditional astrology the simplistic view is: north node:good; south node:bad. This comes from the north node being associated with the benefics and the south node being associated with the malefics. Some have re-interpreted this to mean north node = expansion a la Jupiter; south node = contraction a la Saturn.

Moderns use the nodes for past lives, karma, talents you have innately, talents you can learn and so on. These sorts of delineations are fanciful and have no basis in philosophy or tradition.

Morinus doesn't use them at all, which, if nothing else has the advantage of consistency. He reasons that planets etc exert their influence on the whole world universally and without any difference. It is how the influence is received that results in different effects. One of his favorite sayings is "The Sun melts wax and hardens clay." Since the north node is the south node in the southern hemisphere and the south node is the north node in the sourthern hemisphere, it cannot simultaneously pour forth opposite meanings that are reversed at the equator. So, in his mind, they don't do anything.

I'm not a real fan of the nodes but I keep seeing that south node on Janis Joplin's ASC and understand how well that symbolism fit. But I don't recall seeing the north node all that prominent in any chart. Use with caution.

Tom

>Hi there it strikes me that this eclipse may very specifically highlight China<

After reading about the earthquake this morning, and coupling it with the religious unrest, I think Mike has made his point.

Tom

Since the north node is the south node in the southern hemisphere and the south node is the north node in the sourthern hemisphere, it cannot simultaneously pour forth opposite meanings that are reversed at the equator. So, in his mind, they don't do anything.
I too have my doubts about the nodes (I don?t notice their transits either from or over them). However wouldn?t Morin's argument that the opposite meanings would reverse at the equator also count for the equinoxes (which in fact are also a sort of ?nodes?) and therefore alter the signs?

The emphasis on the nodes as rather concrete ?things? instead of a mere aid to calculate eclipses seems to have a more Persian/Arabian origin.

If the nodes should be used I would prefer the Indian astrologers? view that they both are malefic.