Overcoming afflictions

Hi, can anyone advise me? Im a beginner and reading contradictory statements about the degree to which a person can control, or overcome dispositions in their natal chart.
For instance, what would you say to a person who is struggling to come to terms with very negative interpretations of what it in their natal chart? Some of the literature I?ve read makes quite broad, final statements in this respect, which can be very depressing!
Is it right to regard the natal chart mainly the template, from which we may be challenged in certain ways, But, if the person has the presence of mind they can overturn negative/afflicted aspects. (For example, can a person with afflicted Saturn or Mars in the 7th House eventually learn to curb their destructive or pessimistic tendencies and progress to an enduring happy relationship?
Or, will that person be afflicted by sorrowful and destructive events outside their control regardless of what they try and achieve (ie; early death of a partner).
Likewise, does the age of a person impact upon the strength of these influences? My backround is in forensic psychology and I see this effect in people generally and because I work with people who often cause great difficulties in everyone?s lives! Ps, Im trying to teach myself as much as possible at the moment and plan to enrol on a course in the near future. Any adice is greatly appreciated. Thanks Twizzle.

Hi Twizzle

I don?t think the meanings of the chart configurations are completely fixed. The chart configurations are synchronic, i.e. analogous to the character and life events of the native, but the analogy will function in accordance with the real circumstances of the life of the native. And the native has some control over these circumstances. For example, he can avoid taking risks when the period is dangerous for him because of directions or transits on the natal chart. The native may have some innate tendencies, which appear on his chart, but the external circumstances will determine how these tendencies will manifest themselves. For example, a native may have a tendency to eat too much and become fat, but if he is in a refugee camp where there is barely enough to eat, he will not become fat.

Another point is that the meanings that are found un books, especially ancient books, are not to be directly applied to a specific chart. In ancient books, the meanings given are usually extreme, giving the better or the worse of the possible significations. So they have to be taken with a grain of salt. Moreover, the chart functions as a whole. The astrologer cannot delineate the chart by taking one isolated factor after the other. He must take all the chart in account while explaining each factor. That is why a computer cannot do the job.
Martine

Overcoming afflictions and age

Thankyou so much for your advice Martine, this is very useful to know and makes a lot of sense. I have been reading some old texts and they made me question what on earth was the best that could be hoped for under adverse circumstances!.
On this issue I have been looking into the chart of someone who has lead a very interesting and unusual life. This person has resisted permanence on every level, living a purely itinerant life and drifting constantly for 25 years. There has been no carrier, property or relationships but plenty of overseas travel.
The native is now over 56 years old and talking about establishing some roots interest in study and relationships. But they are finding it difficult and are somewhat anxious. Looking at their chart I notice a heavy influence of Uranus:- (conjunction) in their first house of Cancer. Mercury square Uranus, Saturn Square Uranus, Uranus square Neptune, Uranus trine midheaven. No planets in the 7th house, Saturn in the 5th). I can see how, like you said, personal circumstances/life impacts on how an influence is manifest, so I would expect this person who has lead an extremely alternative lifestyle may have to encounter some life limiting experience before they would genuinely choose to divert their restless energies into more stable relationships or creative pursuits? Except, I then wonder about the effects of time and age on an individuals chart anyway or the capacity for personal transformation regardless of interveining factors. Hope this makes sense! Regards Twizzle