Lilly's puzzling interpretation of term boundaries.

Hello All,
I'd be grateful for help on the following point:
When talking about preparing a speculum for the purpose of directing a significator to one of the planetary terms, Lilly (CA, Book III, page 510) interprets the beginning of terms in a way which does not seem logical. For example, while directing a significator to the term of Mars in Taurus (26 degrees), why should one calculate the direction for 27 degrees? I think I have not understood him correctly. Could someone help?
Thanks in advance.
Ezra

Thanks. But it does not answer my question at all. I am quite familiar with the articles you have suggested.
Before anybody answers my query, please read closely the paragraph in CA which I refer to.
Thanks.
Ezra

Hello

Well, whilst I haven't had time to look up the chapter in the book, it looks to me like you're referring to the difference between ordinal numbers (1st degree, 2nd degree, 3rd degree, etc) and cardinal numbers (0 degrees, 1 degree, 2 degrees, etc).

Regards

H.

CA, III, p 510

"And here I must observe and give you notice of a vulgar error committed by all or most of the astrologians, either late living or at present now alive; that is, in directing a significator to the terms of any planet, they mistook commonly one degree, as for example, had they been to have directed the Sun, who in our nativity in 6.34 Libra, to the terms of Jupiter, they did usually in Libra place Jupiter in the eleventh degree thereof whereas he hath no term in Libra until he comes to the 12th degree thereof; for the first 6 degrees of Libra are fully belonging to Saturn. From the end of 6 or the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, degree of Libra are the terms of Mercury, and then Jupiter enters, viz. at the 12th degree."

There is no difficulty in comprehending this. But in the application of this rule by Lilly himself in the example nativity of an English merchant, things grow nebulous. If the merchant?s Sun, as significator, is to be brought to a conjunction of Jupiter?s term in Libra, the direction should be calculated for 11 degrees 00 minutes Libra because mathematically, the ?12th degree? begins at 11 degrees 00 minutes 00 seconds and not at 12 degrees 00 minutes 00 seconds. But if you look at the speculum which Lilly has erected for the merchant?s nativity, he brings the Sun to a conjunction of the term of Jupiter in Libra at 12 degrees and calculates the direction, therefore, for the "13th degree". Mathematically, this would mean an extra degree because when the Sun progresses to 11 degrees 00 minutes 01 seconds of Libra, he is already in the ?12th degree? of Libra.

I hope this will make the problem clearer.

Hi Ezra

The notation for Jupiter should have gone in the row above so here we have a demonstration of how easily the mistake is made. Lilly seems to have confused himself after making an issue about the 12th degree, and so marks the term of Jupiter alongside the number 12. In warning us not to go 1 degree under, he has gone 1 degree over. Its the same mistake of course, forgetting that when we start the count from zero, 12 marks the point where the 13th degree begins.

You were sharp eyed there :)
Deb