I think his illness was more complicated because he was shot in the chest during the civil war. With permanent lung damage he might have been lucky to have lived as long as he did. I also remember reading one of his comments where he talks about how long lived and healthy he might have been if he had not been so immoderate in his lifestyle. I?m sorry I can?t remember where I read that but I?m sure the quote made reference to his smoking ? the reason I remember it is because I was a smoker at that time and understood where he was coming from. I?ll try and find the reference later and add it in if I can.

I can?t remember where I read that but I?m sure the quote made reference to his smoking ? the reason I remember it is because I was a smoker at that time and understood where he was coming from.
I didn't know that. I wish I had. Our Association recently organised a workshop run with the noted Culpeper expert Graeme Tobyn. He is a smoker himself and we could have teased him about this. :wink:

I haven't read Culpeper that extensively but when I have dipped in I have enjoyed his writing. I love his eccentric, humour. Now I have learned a bit more on medical astrology from Graeme Tobyn I will hopefully be able to re-read him with more insight into the topic.
I remember it is because I was a smoker at that time
So you are going clean these days? Good for you. The only thing I regret about being a non-smoker is all those interesting chats that seem to happen outside conferences/workshops. I always feel I am missing out on all the really juicy info :D.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

You can dip a little toe in the water with one of this month's updates:
Great transcription and annotations.

This article appeared (unattributed) as an appendix in Simmonite's Arcana of Astrology (1890).

Now I know who wrote it. Thank you!

Andrew wrote:
You can dip a little toe in the water with one of this month's updates:
Great transcription and annotations.

This article appeared (unattributed) as an appendix in Simmonite's Arcana of Astrology (1890).

Now I know who wrote it. Thank you!
This is interesting:
Culpeper's Discourse wrote:Virtue Procreative
The first in order is the Virtue Procreative: for nature regards not only the conservation of
itself, but to beget its like, and conserve in Species.
The seat of this is the Member of Generation, and is governed principally by the influence of
Venus. It is augmented and increased by the strength of Venus, by her Herbs, Roots, Trees,
Minerals, &c. It is diminished and purged by those of Mars, and quite extinguished by those of
Saturn. Observe the hour and Medicines of Venus, to fortify; of Mars, to cleanse this virtue; of
Saturn, to extinguish it.
If I've understood this well, the reproduction organs are meant. It is interesting, for what I usually read is that in such matters Venus is said to be related to female and Mars to male. However here Mars is said to have a negative influence and the gender distinction isn't made.

The book of Simmonite is on the internet
http://books.google.nl/books?id=dYGaQ5J ... =1#PPA2,M1'
The Culpeper part is attributed to a certain 'John Story'. Apart from the fact that the original source wasn't mentioned it is interesting to see how traditional work was passed though like this.

I would be surprised if this discourse was not reproduced or translated from an earlier work, although I?m guessing here.

The point about the ?member of generation? is interesting. I wonder if, by the term Member of Generation, he specifically means the womb rather than the reproductive organs as a whole. I think so, but I?m not sure. It will be good to get some other opinions on this.

We'll try to be delicate about this:

I think he is referring to the reproductive organ of the male. I am of this opinion because the the descriptive adjectives used:

"augmented," "increased," "strength," are on the positive side. "Diminished," "purged," and "extinguished" are on the negative side. Maybe it's just my male worldview, but that sounds like the masculine side of things to me, not the womb.

Venus is a bit puzzling, but she is often associated with sex and Mars with energy or the lack of. Also if we want to prepare the male to generate, we do so with Venus things, not Mars things. He's already Mars.

Tom

I have some vague recollection of ruling that idea out, so I re-read the document. Now I can't understand why that idea never even occured to me ! :)

Thanks Tom

At the sudden all these interesting subjects pop up but I don't have much time now. About a month ago I found several things that gave me the impression (I found it a bit difficult to understand the texts) that Venus ruled both male and female reproductive organs. I hope to have more time after a week or so to comment on this.

Apart from in his Discourse, I also found several issues in Culpeper's 'Astrological Judgement of Diseases from the Decumbiture of the Sick'. P.84 for example:"Mars rules in the body of men the gall, the Reins, the Veins, the Secrets.... and "Venus rules the womb, testicles, yard and all the instruments of generation,.." p.87. "Under Scorpio are the secrets of both sexes; it's not very fitting for me to name them;.."
http://books.google.nl/books?id=dV40F_1 ... secret&lr=

So it seems that Venus rules both male and female reproductive organs. The negative effects of Mars and Saturn mentioned in the Discourse would therefore count for men and women as well.