Hyleg

Could anyone help me understand the 'Hyleg' or 'Aphetic places' and what they signify within a nativity? I have read several texts on the topic but am still a little wooly in my understanding :-?

Re: Hyleg

The hyleg or apheta is the significator of life (life force and longevity) in a nativity. It is chosen by special rules (on which there are many variations) from among a number of potential hylegiacal or aphetical places, and is then used to time life-threatening crises and, ultimately, death, with the help of primary directions.

Thank you for your reply Martin, that is what I thought. I will have to read up on the 'special rules' then. So far as I can make out the calculation involves Sun/Moon, Part of Fortuna and Asc. degree. :shock:

Xanny wrote:Thank you for your reply Martin, that is what I thought. I will have to read up on the 'special rules' then. So far as I can make out the calculation involves Sun/Moon, Part of Fortuna and Asc. degree. :shock:
And their various rulers, according to Ptolemy. Some authors would leave these out but include the prenatal syzygy (New/Full Moon degree).

Most traditional authors on natal astrology (right up to the 19th century) include a discussion on the hyleg and related issues. There is a chapter on it in my book on primary directions as well (hopefully out by this July, on The Wessex Astrologer) -- if you'll excuse the plug. ;)

Thank you once again Martin, I value the information regarding the pre natal lunation (new territory for me). I am currently scouring the Tetrabiblos and Christian Astrology for more clarity. Good luck with your book, it sounds interesting and I will keep an eye out for it's release :'