Re: Thanks

Margherita
Well, considering that in order to calculate primary directions hourly distance and temporal hours are needed it would be useful, no?

Margherita
I think that the temporal hours(TH):
TH = 15degrees+AD/6
if the body is above the equator.

I don't remember using the TH in the PD-calculations, of course the AD is used :)
It is possible that I misunderstand something since I am quite new to PDs(I have always used revolutions and secondary directions).

rob

rob wrote: It is possible that I misunderstand something since I am quite new to PDs(I have always used revolutions and secondary directions).

rob
Let's say now i need a little of help- I'm not exactly the genius of primary directions :(

I use this formula (from Marco Fumagalli book published by CieloeTerra).
I'm sure it should be mentioned by Kolev, or so I hope
We have two planets far from meridian HD and HD' , where HD is the hourly distance, i.e. the distance from the nearer meridian (in hours)
HD= meridian distance/ Temporal hour

now this the direction:

arc of direction= (HD' -HD) * Th

Example: (it's one I have checked so I'm sure it's right)

Mercury to the Moon (where Mercury is in 7th house and Moon in the 5th house)

Mercury: HD 5,1976 TH 14,450481 (night temporal hour= 30-14,450481=15,549519)

Moon= HD 3,857810

Mercury arc till Desc: (6-5,1976)*14,450481=11,5938

Mercury from Descendant to the Moon (6-3,857810)* 15,549519=33,310024

so the arc of direction is 11,5938+ 33,310024= 44,9038

with Morinus:
Or I'm wrong in something? It's not impossible :)

So if you can list even this data - hourly distance and temporal hour- could be useful for calculate primary directions by hand, or check data, I believe.
Margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

So if you can list even this data - hourly distance and temporal hour- could be useful for calculate primary directions by hand, or check data, I believe.
Margherita
I know that there is Horizon Distance in the Speculum of Placidus. I didn't add it to Morinus because I think that it is very easy to calculate from the data in the Speculum. However, I agree that showing it would be a plus. So, I will add it later. I have no time now.

The program was/is tested against the results of Placidus.
A great thanks goes to Petr not only for testing but also for his guidance.

rob

Installation

Hi,

There was a question realated to the installation of Morinus:

There is no installer of Morinus. Windows programs usually have installers: when the user clicks on the .exe file the installer starts and asks the user where to copy the program(e.g. C:/Program Files...) and creates an icon on the desktop. These programs have uninstallers as well. The data(the path(e.g. C:/Program Files...)) is written into the Windows Registry during the installation.
Morinus doesn't get installed on your system(Operating System, or winchester!?). After downloading the MorinusWinEng.zip file and unzipping it there will be a MorinusWinEng directory created. Clicking on the Morinus.exe file starts the program, so there is no installer. Deleting the MorinusWinEng directory is like uninstalling. Of course you can also create a link to Morinus.exe and copy it to your desktop, so you will have an icon of Morinus on your desktop.

Of course, it would be possible to create an installer for Morinus but that should be tested on every versions of Windows(2000, XP, Vista, Win7) but I wanted to concentrate on the Astrological part of the program.

rob

Hi,

I observed the necessity to uninstall the software before installing the new version otherwise program does not start. So I deleted MorinusWinENg directory and unziped the new one in the selected directory.

Dont forget to save .hor files before.

OS Windows XP SP2.

Dom
Last edited by domastro on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Installation

Gjiada wrote:I have another question if Robert is still reading.

Considering the frequent updates of the software, can I import and export preferences?
It's a little boring to me repeat every time my preferences every time
As Robert probably hasn't seen this yet, perhaps I can help: it is generally stated with each upload whether the old .opt file can be used. If it can, just save it and copy it into the new Morinus directory. This will preserve your earlier settings.

I am a hoary (not horary) pc user (back to dos 2.1) but am surrounded by MACFanatics:

I know nothing about using/compiling source code, but know you can't run an exe file on a mac, so a) you need to learn how to install the source code version from a brighter individual than I (there are many such) or b) use the windows version within a mac/pc environment like Parallel or similar.

- I did have to create a one-line batch file to run Morinus from a desktop icon, however.