Martin Gansten wrote: I haven't got a maths degree, so I know exactly what you mean! :D But Eddy claimed that they were:
one of the easiest to calculate prediction techniques in astrology
which is the reverse of your argument.
You missed my irony. ;-)

Hello Rob,

Just two quick points...

Re: Predicting events

Do you remember internet singing sensation, Susan Boyle?

If not, she had a video from Britain's Got Talent that went UNIVERSAL. A tremendous number of views and very much discussion about her and media attention.

In the contest, she was INCREDIBLY the favorite to win. She had the talent, she had the fan-interest...

Isaac specifically went AGAINST common opinion on the matter, based on strong TPD activity and posted well before the event (the Final) that she, in fact, would NOT win.

As it turns out, she did NOT win. The grand prize was given to some dance troupe.

At positive events, there is often an accumulation of telling positive aspects and a lack of negative ones. Likewise, at negative events, the converse.

If we look at Isaac's recent post regarding Prince Charles...

When his Brother was born, the 3rd Cusp trined Jupiter (obviously a once in a lifetime aspect to anyone with less than biblical longevity) and to only scant minutes of arc. SIMULTANEOUSLY, the Moon conjuncted the MC also to just 2' of arc. These are two VERY APPROPRIATE aspects for the event (in this system). These types of seemingly impossible, simultaneous aspects with CORRECT SYMBOLISM and TIGHT ORBS happen often in this system. Again, from a mathematical perspective, the odds AGAINST it happening are phenomenal. Yet, it is a COMMON occurrence in this system.

Look at when Prince Charles became Prince of Wales. Jupiter conjoined Mars, the ruler of his Midheaven to 0? 4'. Surely, we can see the relevance of the symbolism and appreciate the relevance in his chart. Again, this is a once-in-a-lifetime aspect, perfectly symbolically appropriate, AND not only occurring right at the time of the event, but with a specificity of 1/5,400th of a circle. (no sloppy orbs) Please appreciate the odds again AGAINST this happening. ie. the odds AGAINST the correct symbolism MULTIPLIED by the odds AGAINST this once-in-a-lifetime aspect happening with the event MULTIPLIED by the odds AGAINST it being in those few MINUTES of arc.

Prince Charles toured Canada, beginning July 23, 1976. Think of the CHANCES that at that exact same time, his Midheaven would have EXACTLY (not just 0?, but 0? 0') contacted his 9th Cusp. Or think of it in reverse, perhaps...what are the chances that, of all the dates that Charles could have embarked on the tour, he picks when the APPROPRIATE DIRECTION IS EXACT.

The system truly does work! The mathematical odds that are constantly being bested by it doing so are the exclamation point.

As I said before, Rob, sincerely, (no wise ass from me), your software, if it adapts the correct calculation procedures, will be IMMENSELY MORE VALUABLE by including these particular Primary Directions.

Thank you for the consideration...

Peace

Atlantean

Hi Atlantean,

As I said I am not against the TPDs but in my opinions the other techniques should also be used. If I understand it correctly once the 3rd housecusp means brother and later it means honour. This tells me that in the TPDs the intermediate housecusps are like extra Asc and MC (like having 6 Asc and 6 MC or just 1 asc and 11 MCs). That is a huge advantage.

About the prediction: it is one thing to predict that a favourite won't win and another thing if e.g. Clinton will divorce in 2013.03.12.

Since both Clinton's and Prince Charles' charts seem to have exact birthtimes and there is a one-to-one relation between the PDs and events in one's life according to the TPDs(and the PDs are exact), I don't see why can't a prediction be made.

One important thing: an average programer can write a software like mine. It's not a big deal. Any program that can cast a radix, solars, calculate PDs, Secdirs are good. The program is only a tool. It won't make me a better astrologer, just a faster one.
Since the name of this topic is not about the TPDs and not about me :D , No offense meant but I wouldn't like to pollute this topic any more. I'd like to ask you to create a "Topocentric Primary Directions" topic maybe in the Traditional Techniques.
I promise that I will read it.

rob

Eddy wrote:
So I assume that till de Arab astrologers, most used this method and had lists of the actual planetary positions of the year, just like one of the most popular ephemeris of the 19th century was 'Raphaels ephemeris of the year ....".
well, I think just because linear calculations were quicker than the trigonometrical ones.

I'm not sure that an astrologer could not calculate them because hardly an astrologer could not be an astronomer too. This is possible just with modern astrology...

But in Latin Middle Ages Greek texts were lost for us, and tables entered thank to Arab astronomy.
Still according Bezza Arab tables were based on Ptolemy Handy tables, even if elaborated with Sassanian and Indian additions.

Arab tables were divided into several parts, and only after 1300 the part of primum mobile was separated from the rest.
The most famous of all the ones of Regiomontanus, which wery very easy to use.

With tables (I have for example the ones for the Placidean under the pole) just a subtraction is needed to calculate the required direction.

But a software is another world, I really love Morinus,
margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

Thanks for the historical info Margherita. The Arabians sure added much to the spreading of the knowledge of trigonometry. I'm not sure if every astrologer would have been an astronomer but I do think that every astronomer was expected to do astrology in those days.

I'll stick to the pocket-calculator though, or perhaps I even should use my book with (co)sine tables. I think I'm going to try those formulae of that website I mentioned a few posts ago. Yesterday I found them by chance to illustrate the meaning of my earlier post (so in fact I should thank Martin for his reply) and since the methods of Jean Meeus' books will lead to results that are too exact for my purposes, this will be a good medium way. I think it will take a long time if ever till I'm going to use software, perhaps I'm a bit conservative :) .

Hi,

Francois found another bug:
In the Almuten calculations: Mercury is counted only as the lord of Virgo and not both domicile and exaltation.

My previous solar example is not that clear: Saturn that was in the 9th of the radix returned to the 9th house in the solar in a much better celestial state, trigon solar Asc. It was confusing for me when I read it again.

rob