Martin Gansten wrote: My guess would be that the CieloeTerra author uses 'mundane' simply in the sense of 'based on real motion in the sky' (as opposed to 'symbolic' directions), but takes planetary positions without latitude (i.e., in zodiaco).

As usually I was not clear.

For what they call "in mundo" they use hourly distance between two points and day or night hours according which hemisphere we are talking about.
And they use LATITUDE.
To me it makes sense it's called "in mundo" because they consider planets as they are according their positions in houses.

It was elsewhere in the Internet that I saw the same formula used without latitude - taking planets with their longitude but as they were on the ecliptic, without latitude, and that was called "zodiacal direction."

It's confusing at least for me.

About "mixed directions" I believe it should be Placidus, in CieloeTerra they love Placidus more than Ptolemy.
I hope I can understand your book :) Kolev surely is the genius of directions but he can't write. At least I cannot understand him.
I don't know in the rest of world, but in Italy the most important lessons at schools are the ones of Italian, whatever kind of school you are attending.
When you finish school at 18, you should be able to write an article.

I'd be happy to! But be warned that my Italian is non-existent. (The UK event will be in Nottingham, not London. And I'll be in Bath in June, speaking on a different subject.)
So it should be like my English.
Well, maybe we can organize something. Inside the Italian Astrological association they are trying to see a little abroad, and Deborah will come next SAturday in Perugia. I will see if it is possible, I would be happy

Margherita
Traditional astrology at
http://heavenastrolabe.wordpress.com

To me it makes sense it's called "in mundo" because they consider planets as they are according their positions in houses.
Even if latitude is not taken into account it could be considered to be "in mundo". After all the same squeezing and stretching of the planetary positions occur. A trine on the ecliptic still can become a square in the mundane positions if the latitude won't be taken into account.

Eddy wrote:
Even if latitude is not taken into account it could be considered to be "in mundo".
Ok, but if so why I have a formula where planets are considered with their longitude and latitude and their position in the houses and this formula is called "in mundo"?

Then I find in the Internet from other experts the same method and calculation, but with planets without latitude and it's called "zodiacal."

Then you write that the same calculation without latitude could be called "in mundo" too.

There is something I don't understand, or everything is clear for you?

Margherita
Traditional astrology at

I'm sorry Margherita if I contributed to the confusion rather than be clarifying. Mundo refers to positioning the planets in respect to a certain house system, especially those which incorporate the horizon and meridian.

In that case it would be more logic to take latitude into account and 'leave' the ecliptic totally. However one could imagine using positions with 0 latitude but in that case the 'mundo effect' would be gone in a sense that the ecliptical degree of a planet can be on the horizon or in the meridian but the planet usually won't be. So it seems better to me to take latitude into account when doing or using the name 'mundo'

I don't use computerprograms and didn't read books on the calculations but the confusion could stem from the fact that some astrologers aren't familiar with the terminology or the astronomy. In fact I learnt many calculations myself and applied it years before I knew the difference of the terminology for example between ascensional difference and oblique ascension even when I had been applying these.

Eddy wrote:I'm sorry Margherita if I contributed to the confusion rather than be clarifying. Mundo refers to positioning the planets in respect to a certain house system, especially those which incorporate the horizon and meridian.
In the context of primary directions, the traditional usage of the terms is clear (and different from what you just wrote, Eddy):

In mundo 'in the world' or cum latitudine 'with latitude' means using the observable positions of the planets.

In zodiaco 'in the zodiac' or sine latitudine 'without latitude' means using the ecliptical (longitudinal) degrees of the planets.

Primary directions to the angles are based on actual risings, setting, culminations and anti-culminations. Directions between planets or other points are based either on proportional semi-arcs (Ptolemy, Placidus) or on circles of position (Regiomontanus, though there is also a 'hybrid' form of Placidean circles of position based on semi-arcs). In neither case are primary directions based on one's choice of house system. This is a common misunderstanding. One may choose to direct planets and divide the sky into houses by the same method (both Placidus and Regiomontanus did), but it is by no means necessary. Ptolemy certainly didn't do so, nor did the medieval astrologers.

Eddy wrote:I'm sorry Margherita if I contributed to the confusion rather than be clarifying.
It's not your fault. You tried to help,
Mundo refers to positioning the planets in respect to a certain house system, especially those which incorporate the horizon and meridian.
It's exactly because I don't understand why we can consider planets in their position in respect to MC (hourly distance) without latitude and we call this a zodiacal direction.

I'm not an expert, so maybe I'm mssing something...

Margherita
Traditional astrology at

Martin Gansten wrote:In the context of primary directions, the traditional usage of the terms is clear (and different from what you just wrote, Eddy):

In mundo 'in the world' or cum latitudine 'with latitude' means using the observable positions of the planets.

In zodiaco 'in the zodiac' or sine latitudine 'without latitude' means using the ecliptical (longitudinal) degrees of the planets.
Thanks for the clarification Martin. As I wrote before I indeed aren't familiar with all terminology.
Directions between planets or other points are based either on proportional semi-arcs (Ptolemy, Placidus) or on circles of position....
I believe the directions between planets most used would have been the proportional semi arc. Calculating directions according to the position circles is much more time consuming.

Hi Margherita, Martin and Eddy,

Do I understand correctly that now we have 3 uses of the term ?mundane? or Latin ?in mundo? aspects:

1) Mundane aspects in Mundane Astrology. More precisely Transit-to-Transit aspects with no Radix.

2) Mundane aspects based on the Meridian-Horizon reference frame. E.g., the Ascendant is always square the Meridian because the Horizon is always perpendicular to the Meridian.

3) ?in mundo? in Primary Directions, as opposed to ?in zodiaco?. In mundo here meaning aspects to and between the actual bodily positions in the sky. I prefer ?bodily? to ?observable? because of atmospheric refraction. ? BTW, aren?t all Primary Direction aspects mundane aspects in the sense of 2) ???

I hope I add to the confusion, but only temporarily, in order to find a common understanding.

Ren?

Martin Gansten wrote:

Are you telling that formula could be the same and I just can decide to use latitude or not, and in that case we have zodiacal directions? Is it like that?

If you will come in Rome, you will have a dinner out with wine from Castelli (I'm an awful cook) :)
Margherita
Traditional astrology at

Eddy wrote:I believe the directions between planets most used would have been the proportional semi arc. Calculating directions according to the position circles is much more time consuming.
Oh, definitely, at least until there were published tables (such as those of Regiomontanus).

3D wrote:Do I understand correctly that now we have 3 uses of the term ?mundane? or Latin ?in mundo? aspects:
Well, yes and no. :) 'Mundane' as in the branch of astrology is a separate usage, of course. In the context of primary directions, Placidus introduced so-called mundane aspects based on proportional semi-arcs. But the older use of mundane/in mundo has nothing to do with aspects as such, only with planetary positions. Astrologers before Placidus used ordinary aspects taken along the ecliptic (or sometimes in a special 'aspect circle' close to the ecliptic, which mattered little in practice) even when directing planets in mundo.
I prefer ?bodily? to ?observable? because of atmospheric refraction.
I almost did write 'bodily' but refrained because medieval astrologers use that word of conjunctions even when taken only in the ecliptic! :) (This is because 'conjunction' can mean any sort of contact; thus, what we would call a trine aspect could be a 'conjunction by trine', and what we would call a conjunction by longitude would be a 'bodily conjunction'.)
BTW, aren?t all Primary Direction aspects mundane aspects in the sense of 2) ???
No; see above. As far as I know, they are a 17th century invention.

Gjiada wrote:Are you telling that formula could be the same and I just can decide to use latitude or not, and in that case we have zodiacal directions? Is it like that?
Yes, that's it: set the latitude to 0, and you have a zodiacal direction.
If you will come in Rome, you will have a dinner out with wine from Castelli (I'm an awful cook) :)
Thanks. :D