Thanks very much, janeg and yuzuru. I sure don't want to start another row between traditional and modern astrologers here! I would only note that modern astrology contains diverse schools of thought, and they don't all agree with one another. My feeling is that if a technique really works, I'd like to know about it, regardless of its source, but subject to the usual energy constraints....[so much astrology, so little time!]

I am very interested in the origins of various astrological truisms, and happily dig through old sources to answer questions about "why things are the way they are."

For traditional? I'd try James Holden's A History of Horoscopic Astrology, Lee Lehman's Classical Astrology for Modern Living, and either Dorotheus of Sidon's Carmen Astrologicum, or Ibn Ezra's The Beginning of Wisdom and The Book of Nativities and Revolutions.

Or all of them, and a few more. You can substitute other traditional writers, I just really like Ibn Ezra and he's CLEAR. But you need to read the history first, just to get an idea, though Lee covers a fair bit in CAFML, but not as much as Holden's book does. But even Lee's book assumes you have some background in some kind of astrology to start with.

If you can get hold of the MP3s of the ARHAT seminar on classical from I think 1998? that's probably the best intro I've found so far - it assumes you're a modern astrologer and introduces you to some classical thought and techniques.

Waybread wrote:
BTW, I would love to hear from experienced traditional astrologers their favourite intro textbook; not for horary astrology (which I don't do) but for analyzing nativities.
The Judgments of Nativities by Abu Ali Al Khayyat. This little book, translated by Holden, is a gold mine of information if you have the background. Christian Astrology Book III on nativities has been given an undeserved bad rap as a second rate work. It only seems that way because Lilly's work on horary is so exemplary. Which brings me to the point of my response.

There are all sorts of good traditional texts, but , to my knowledge, there are no out and out beginner's works for traditional astrology. They all seem to require a background in some kind of astrology. The closest thing to it is Joseph Crane's A Practical Handbook for Traditional Astrology. Otherwise its "Find a tutor and get to work."

Tom

waybread wrote:Thanks very much, janeg and yuzuru. I sure don't want to start another row between traditional and modern astrologers here! I would only note that modern astrology contains diverse schools of thought, and they don't all agree with one another. My feeling is that if a technique really works, I'd like to know about it, regardless of its source, but subject to the usual energy constraints....[so much astrology, so little time!]

I am very interested in the origins of various astrological truisms, and happily dig through old sources to answer questions about "why things are the way they are."
Actually, since you have a background in modern and seem open to the experience, I'd go all out and get something like Bonatti's Book of Astronomy, published by Ben Dykes. It's pretty comprehensive for the trad. astrology of the period, and will give you some idea of what you can expect if you investigate further (I'd recommend much further back :D). One caveat, Bonatti is not a particular easy read, he does thrown a whole bunch of stuff together and not in the most pleasing fashion, but you should be able to handle it.
Gabe

I'm sure Ben Dykes' translation of Bonatti is wonderful (I've downloaded the freebie PDF teasers), but his writing style is like Gabe said - and you want a background in classical before you tackle it.

And even though it's worth it if you can afford it, some of us would have to re-mortgage the house to get it.

Definitely a worthwhile text, don't get me wrong, but it's a fairly serious investment.