I've spent some time thinking about this thread and pondering its relevance (or lack thereof) in my own chart...but I'm beginning to think that it *does* work, at least in part, or in relation to other points in the chart.

I have a 9th house Jupiter at 0 Scorpio, trine 1st house Mars at 2 Pisces. They receive one another by domicile and triplicity. Mars is also in wide sextile to my Sun at 26 Sag (11th house). Jupiter is also afflicted by an opposition to an out-of-sign Moon/Saturn conjunction in the 3rd house (at 28 Aries/2 Taurus respectively) . ASC is 9 Aquarius.

Transiting Jupiter is now at roughly 26 Aquarius along with Neptune and Chiron, all plonked in my 1st. I had hoped that Jupiter transiting my 1st house (and sextiling my Sun and Moon) would bring all sorts of 'fortune' to me; you know, the typical stuff: a pay raise, win the Euromillions, etc. (Jupiter is ruler of my 2nd house).

Instead, it has brought about a very deep unrest; I don't want to call it a mental illness, but I suppose it could be diagnosed that way - severe, fluctuating depression, a questioning of internal values, a desire to throw in the towel and start over somewhere else. I've had two weeks signed off by the doctor, and am going back today to ask for more. I am suffering terrible 'fuzzy-head' headaches, palpitations, general malaise. I may have to quit my job. My marriage is turbulent, to say the least.

Benefits? I suppose there are some, hidden underneath the layers of sturm und drang. I am having to examine what is *really* important to me, and will eventually have to take some steps to get me closer to the life I 'should' be living, rather than the one I have currently constructed.

Transiting Jupiter hasn't quite reached an exact conjunction with my natal Mars/Jupiter aspect...but if the current internal climate is anything to go by, I expect the next several months will continue to be quite difficult - and interesting. Being that I have only just come out from under an arduous tr Pluto/natal Sun conjunction, I sometimes get the feeling that these difficult transits never really end...they just hand over the baton to a new transit.

GH:)

I feel your pain. It's currently plonked on my Mars. Natally I have Jupiter rx in 10 conjunct Neptune, NN, and Spica (that's not me!), but in partile sexile to Saturn, partile trine to Mars/Chiron conjunction, and a couple of degrees near exact opposition to Sun/Mercury/SN.

With Sag rising.

All of which spells nasty. Major health and income problems have been happening here of late.

I don't generally use outer planets, but when it rains it pours.

OTOH, Saturn is sitting smack opposite Venus by transit, but since they don't get up to any bad together natally, I don't think that's it. And Jupter + disaster seem to go together for me. I've got Jupiter in Aquarius in 12 ruling my SR ascendant in Pisces this year, too, with Moon + Fomalhaut conjunct the ASC, and a Venus/Mars/Scheat conjunction in the 1st. I hate living in interesting times.

Gunhilde wrote:I've spent some time thinking about this thread and pondering its relevance (or lack thereof) in my own chart...but I'm beginning to think that it *does* work, at least in part, or in relation to other points in the chart.

I have a 9th house Jupiter at 0 Scorpio, trine 1st house Mars at 2 Pisces. They receive one another by domicile and triplicity. Mars is also in wide sextile to my Sun at 26 Sag (11th house). Jupiter is also afflicted by an opposition to an out-of-sign Moon/Saturn conjunction in the 3rd house (at 28 Aries/2 Taurus respectively) . ASC is 9 Aquarius.

GH:)
Hi GH,

Sorry to read of your troubles. You will come through.
Astrologically, you didn't mention Uranus at all !! . It is at Pisces 26degree.
Saturn too is heading to a square.Jupiter is probably cushioning you somewhat.
Fortitude is the need of the hour.

best wishes

PD

Yes, I had 'forgotten' about Uranus. Currently opposing my natal Pluto and squaring my Sun. Oh, the joy. :? Perhaps Jupiter IS cushioning me, after all...I'll have to go back and reconsider - again!

GH :)

re: jupiter

I have a horrible jupiter! In 10th Capricorn. Sextiles my sun (in scorpio 7th) - interestingly, i think my jupiter rep my father who is a very hard worker though not a cap but a libra - he has a lot of capricorn traits (loyalty, duty, hard worker, conservative, traditional, etc.).

Though he has worked hard and has been lucky enough to achieve wealth, he really hasn't been a very supportive father to me through the years. As an only child, he does love me I know and isn't really out of my life, he just never seems to be able to truly "affect" my life (very positively). I attribute this to jupiter in capricorn where jup is in fall.

Also, since tran jup has been in cap for me, my career has taken a hit, I've been completely down on my luck in terms of good roles coming and disappearing and I truly believe that it's because it's in fall capricorn despite jupiter being such an exalted planet in 10th..

welcome comments..
birthdate - 11/1/72 Kirksville MO USA 4:25pm

That makes sense. I think I have such a hard time with the Jupiter/Mars trine because Mars is in fall in Libra - which is where my Jupiter is - and you don't want a planet in exact aspect to a planet in the sign of its fall or detriment. I've seen that screw up so many people.

A planet in its fall or detriment making an aspect to another planet seems to bring similar grief.

And angular just makes it that much, well, in Jupiter's case - BIGGER.

There's a text called 'the astrology of death' by Richard Houck, a Vedic astrologer, that points to Jupiter as a harbinger of death.

He died before his prediction of his own death. Maybe an over-estimated astrological significance. Jupiter square to Sun or something? It's in his chart somewhere, for sure.

Here's the complete first paragraph of my post:
Here are a couple recent forum examples of Jupiter as possible bad boy. They don't prove anything and don't suffice to pin the blame completely on Jupiter. They're merely the sort of thing to keep in mind in case you come across other examples. They both involve Jupiter opposed the ASC, or conjunct the DESC ? your preference.
I was interested in the fact that we had two recent forum examples of Jupiter opposed the ASC during accidents and made the observation so others could add them to other examples they may have.

I favor the traditional view of Jupiter as an indication of benevolence and moderation. An indication of possible 'extravagance' does seem to have been added which strongly opposes the understanding of Jupiter as a moderating influence. One example is the (apparently) modern idea of Jupiter as sometimes the bringer of excess, such as weight gain. Such excess can lead to ideas of misfortune.

If we want to find a possibly malevolent Jupiter involved in accidents, I suppose we really need to find cases where Jupiter was involved but things didn't work out so well. We just need to keep in mind our opinions regarding the results. Steven's bicyclist wasn't paralyzed or killed, so we can say that there looks to have been a benevolent influence indicated by benefic Jupiter. But what if he had been paralyzed? Oh well, at least he wasn't killed ? benevolence again. What if he had been killed with Jupiter involved? Is it benevolence once again because he doesn't have to live with paralysis? Benevolence because he gets to leave this vale of tears and move on to the bigger picture? Houck, the late Lois Rodden and others have noticed frequent Jupiter involvement at the time of death. Therefore is death an act of benevolence? Lordy, there seems to be pesky benevolence everywhere.

So much for benevolence and the kindly role of a benefic planet. Maybe we're better off thinking in terms of moderation. A 'moderated' accident will likely keep a physical body alive and functioning at least reasonably well.

Even though it's a universal benefic, I can't think of any reason that Jupiter couldn't be a killing planet in a chart.

And I don't like some Jupiter-Mars connections. I grant they can sometimes soften the blow, but if Jupiter is badly posited, it does seem, in my experience, to lead to a sort of fanaticism, or at least way too over-optimistic thinking.

At best sometimes it seems like a dumb note in a chart. But I alway get the clients with the Saturn-Mars oppositions, Jupiter in deriment or fall and besieged. Sometimes it doesn't seem to harm, but it doesn't seem to do any good, either.

In my own chart, it's just plain - weird. And going through lots of charts, a highly prominent Jupiter doesn't seem to lead to moderation a lot of the times - again, my experience. The person is usually decent, but often - not moderate at all. And the Jupiter-Mars stuff? Often some kind of religious weirdness or intolerance, especially in air.

But that's just what I've seen, and I know it doesn't stack to tradition.

I do think you have to make a judgement call. In an actual chart, you seldom find any planet that's perfect. So it comes down to is it more vitiated than fortunated, or vice-versa, and what's it been doing in the native's life up til now?

Even though it's a universal benefic, I can't think of any reason that Jupiter couldn't be a killing planet in a chart.
Indirectly, anyway. Like a weak Jupiter killing through inaction, allowing the harmful to take place ? just standing there, smiling benevolently.

I hear what you're saying about the Mars-Jupiter contacts. It often seems a person can kiss moderation goodbye with those.

My jupiter is something of a "dud" and a disappointment. It resides in the 11th and is currently trining my sun in H12 from H8 within 1 degree. Two days ago my friend died from a fast-moving cancer...yes, trines do speed things up.

I meant to study Liam Neeson's chart more closely as his wife Natasha Richardson died so tragically during Neeson's trine to his gemini sun, but I couldn't find a reliable time of birth. I will say that the first pass/trine to my sun this spring brought me an unexpected tax refund. Big whoop.