well, dignified in which sign? and angular in which house.

If Jupiter is Squared by Saturn or Mars... then it would increase their malevolence...

I have the octile to Pluto... but see it as positive.

If it is essentially dignified it will still bring a positive result to you by itself, even if squared by Saturn or Mars. Now, how Saturn or Mars benefit or relate to it is another matter.

Well, I'd say that being the house opp to the AC, any planet there can bring a certain measure of damage. If you think about 7th house as the least personal house (even less than 6th, 8th and 12th) that would make sense, since a Jupiter there would bring fortune to "the other one"... but still, having dignity, it will favor you as well I'd say.

Thanks for your explanation PFN.

It make sense in a way that I've always thought I bring luck to people. For example, if I am the first customer to enter an empty shop, stall or restaurant, soon or later people will start to fill up the shop all of a sudden. I've seen this time and time again. Friends thought that too and used to ask me to pick lottery numbers :)

Re: Jupiter, the bringer of misfortune

ancientstars wrote:I have always suspected that Jupiter doesn't bring me good things. Does anyone experience the same? Mine is in the angular and dignified by sign but receives only one square.

ancientstars
This is interesting.

In what way Jup doesn't bring you good things?

I believe planets have a higher and lower mode. For example Jupiter can bring luck, protection, vision, expansion and enthusiasm. But on the lower mode it's not rare to see it bringing bigamy, exaggeration, overdoing.
Is it squaring Pluto? Or is it aspecting Pluto? Would need to see the whole chart.
Sometimes Pluto hijacks or twists planet it aspects and if it's Jupiter..it may be twisted.

On the other hand...maybe it's an invitation for you to presence your Jupiter more :)

N

I've tended to have pretty horrible luck with Jupiter, too, even though it's got an essential dignity of 9, is in the 10th house in Libra, conjuncts my NN, rules my chart (Sag rising), is in generosity with Venus in Pisces, and it doesn't square anything (is opposite Mercury, though).

Homelessness, serious illness, loss of employment, loss of money - when I see a major Jupiter transit coming - at this point? - I want to hide under the bed til it's over. And it only seems to need a transit to set it off - returns are particularly brutal.

For what it's worth, I'm a good matchmaker - that probably sounds bizarre, but I am. It's the only Jupiter-Venus thing I can think of that's going for me. But - it only works for other people. Not for me.

But it's retrograde. Is yours, ancientstars?

Hi, Olivia

both in modern and in traditional astrology, a transit of Jupiter is not considered capable of bringing such big events, although he can be a trigger of something.

In my opinion of your chart, your Jupiter is in good state. Yes, he is ruler of exaltation of 8th, he is retrograde, but he is not, in itself, a malefic. But he is afflicted by other planets

I would look more closely to mars. Saturn is in sextile to jupiter, but with mutual reception. Jupiter receives the disposition of mars, but this is not so good, as he is the ruler of the 12th (I may be wrong, as mars is also ruler of fortuna - did you reversed)

mars is also the ruler of your fourth, which may explain your home problems.

Anyway, even if I am wrong, I would advise not to worry too much about Jupiter?s transits, anyway. They are quite common, and the most of them give nothing more than a change of mood. But, if you worry too much, you will start "hide under the bed" everytime, and that can be more dangerous than the transit in itself.

Best regards
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

Thanks yuzuru, and yes, I use the night formula for lots for night charts.

Re: Hiding under the bed. I just have a little transit going on today - T Mercury rx squaring natal Jupiter. Sold an item to somebody by post, and JUST got a horrible e-mail from her that it wasn't what I said it was (it was, and she even said it was but said she already had it so...it's my fault she bought another? I don't know, she wasn't terribly rational), she's gone and reported me to ebay for stealing.

Obviously showing a great willingness to work things out there - the mail was titled TOTAL RIP-OFF!

Well, there goes my perfect feedback, but that's minor. I'm not kidding about how bad Jupiter returns have been, though I'm aware of the Mars in the mix, and with so many late degree planets, almost everything is in either Mars' or Saturns' terms. Ha! to those ancient writers who say that good aspects from benefics can nullify some of the worst of the bad from malefics.

And that's been the least of the financial/social problems this week. Hacked bank account, all sorts of fun has been going on both with money and communications. And two days in hospital - part the first for tests, part the second for getting so sick from the tests. Yes, Mars and the Moon are playing up, too.

And no, I don't really hide under the bed. But there's invariably a period of extreme unpleasantness at best - and at worst - worse - when Jupiter goes hyperactive in my chart.

I'm well aware of what Fortuna looks like, too. Ouch. Never going to have money in this lifetime.

Thanks again for the delineation.