What about the solution in traditional Astrology?

Hi everybody,

a traditional astrologer can clearly tell his client about the facts of his life and about the kind of problems he has to face. The problems and the adversity can be described quite detailed and accurate.

But what kind of help can traditional Astrology give the client to solve his problems? What sort of traditional techniques can the astrologer use to find a solution in the chart and give helpful advice to his client?

I would be very grateful about your insights and experiences (because so far I could not find an answer in the textbooks).

Juergen

Hi, Jogi

I think it is a very important question, because one of the reasons modern astrologers are so afraid of making predictions is because we usually don?t like the answer to our questions.

But there is no simple question, as the problem entail philosophical views, and the ugly "F" word - Free will.

So let?s see some possible options:

You ask a horary question: "will I get the job ?", or "Will I and X be lovers?" and the answer is NO. You can:

try it anyway and hope the horary is wrong.
acknowledge the horary as right, but will try to change the circunstances of the horary, trying much harder than you would normally.
give up, there is a lot of fish in the sea.

So, in the kingdom of horary there is a great sea of options to practitioners and querents to work out the advice of the horary and make a good decision. Read Ben Dykes article about roots as god?s freedom.

Well, natal analysis is a little bit trickier, because we have the damn thing for the whole life ! Let?s say you face a very hard period in your health...

the modern astrologers say that we can avoid this by doing a "symbolic resignification" or something like that. E.g., if you write a play about a person dying from a terrible ilness, then you will avoid the "bad manifestation of the symbolic energy".

I think that this proposition is completely ridiculous. For one thing, if that was true, actors would have amazingly happy lives.

Other possibilities are stoicism, you know what is to come to prepare your spirit for the hardness of the future, but hey, nobody say that was going to be easy.

Steven Birchfield tells that, before a health problem, he secured his house and patrimony. That seens like a good plan, although it didn?t make the health problems go away. I would call this attitude the "I can?t change the cards, but I can play my best poker with them"

But besides all that traditional astrology gives us two fundamental tools to "change" fate. Electional astrology and magical astrology.

Electional astrology can?t change your natal chart but can work with the best of it.
Magical astrology, with the use of talismans, archangels, angels, spirits and inteligences, can soften hardships and bring opportunities.

But other than that, fate is against us. Eventually everybody will get old (if they are lucky) and die, and this is the best prediction, because it always comes true :-)
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

Also, if your natal says for instance, that you will have heart problems, you may take measures to minimize that - i.e. eat less Twinkies and exercise. You may still have a heart attack, but maybe you can stall it.

It's not like if you are told that you will not be married that you should lock yourself away in your room.

Hello Jogi,

as for Natal Charts, you can possibly regard the Lord of the Geniture. The Lord of the Geniture is the planet which unites the most amount of essential AND accidental dignity.

John Frawley states that the LOG is the planet "which we should put on our throne". The LOG indicates what helps us making our life better, but in most cases it is not so easy to act according to the LOG.

For example, suppose someone with phlegmatic temperament and a debilitated Moon in the 1st. This shows a person with great lethargy, a person that's shilly-shally and volatile. Let's suppose this person has a dignified Saturn, strong by house placement, as LOG. We see that he has to take more discipline, restraint und work into his life in order to overcome his laziness. Where should the person show more discipline? If Saturn is in the 10th, he should work harder because otherwise he might be unemployed. If Saturn is in the first, he should make bodybuilding or something similar to form his body into shape. If Saturn is in the 2nd, he should take diets or eat less in order to lose fat. And so on.

Of course, it's not easy for this person to develop discipline, because he's used to being lazy.

Thank you for the interesting inputs.
Other possibilities are stoicism, you know what is to come to prepare your spirit for the hardness of the future, but hey, nobody say that was going to be easy.
:D Yees...that?s so true. But this is exactly what a client normaly does not want to hear. There are many occasions where I know that I should say: "Sorry, but that`s the way the cookie crumbles."

In some cases it might be really helpful to ask a specific question related to a problem and cast a horary chart. But mostly I think it`s not possible.
Using Magic Astrology also sounds interesting - but not every client has an open mind about these things. But its worth keeping it in ones mind.

The LoG is indeed a suitable means - and I think it is one of the best ways to find a general focus that is able to provide help for problems that exist in other areas of the natives life.

Although being quite new to traditional Astrology I thougt that the following ideas may be helpful:
- concentrating on the planets in sect
- using other rulers of a planet or a house to find areas of life that can assist in solving problems
- relying on receptions of the involved planets (if there are any)
What do you think about these ideas?

On the other hand: I think it was Frawley who mentioned that the dispositor of a planet shows the problems or is the cause for them. Have you worked with this approach and found it reliable?

Best wishes
Juergen

Jogi wrote:On the other hand: I think it was Frawley who mentioned that the dispositor of a planet shows the problems or is the cause for them. Have you worked with this approach and found it reliable?
Yes, I also read about this. It might be simply because of the fact that a planet in some house is often also ruled by the house-ruler.

In most cases, I do use the dispositor for description. If for example you have Aquarius rising and ruler Saturn in a Mars-ruled sign, this adds martial traits to your appearance.
Or suppose someone with Venus, ruler of the 12th, opposite the ASC. This shows someone who has women as enemies, acting secretly and openly against him. Which kind of women? Venus in a Saturn-ruled sign: Women that are old, or women that are melancholic, or somewhat show other Saturnian traits. Venus in a Venus-ruled sign: Teenage women, or women that are very feminine, beautiful and charming. And so on.