New Member Lost

Hello guys! I think this forum is for astrology geniuses only since from each threads and discussions I've read so far make me searched all terms to the web just to understand you're conversations. Does this mean that I should be "leaving out" the community already because I think I might be out of place.

I can't whether you're out of place since that's your decision, but most people here are pretty nice. Most of us practice traditional astrology to varying degrees, but then again we've all been at the "what the hell stage". If you want to learn more then hang in there, if you're not interested, then maybe not so much.

What are you interested in?

When I attended beginners class the teacher said we could have fun looking at our friends charts using Astrodienst or we could get serious and learn to understand the ephemeris. She said we should always carry an ephemeris in our handbags. Wait a sec - I don't have a handbag!!

Seriously though, there are a lot of learning aids here on Skyscript. Planets signs and houses for a start

Regards

Matt

I'm interested with astrology signs (character symbols and their corresponding meaning to astrology). Effects of planetary movements to the earth's behavior and condition. If possible, I would like to understand how some astrologists come up with perceptual predictions of events just from extra-terrestrial observations.

Greetings!

I thought I'd take a moment to point you to some of the resources on this web page! First, look directly up from the note you are reading to the tabs at the top of this page. Glossary - is one of the tabs, the glossary is your friend. it would not hurt to just look through it and start familiarizing yourself with some of these terms. but always when you are reading on this list feel free to look in the glossary. :)

Second! On the Front page of this web page there are some notable links that you should start reading. Deb has a very nice description of each sign and its rulers on the front page. understanding Planetary Dignities is another place to learn more about traditional understandings of astrology.
if you look on the right side of the home page, you will see house meanings, it is another section you should go through thoroughly, several times, dont read it just once. there are several sections in the Horary section that teach about horary astrology. these are additional readings that can help you understand Astrology in general.

You should get an ephemeris to have on hand or print a few pages from www.astro.com to have handy while learning astrology because the information will be handy. Also www.astro.com is your friend. it also has resources for the astrologer.

I hope this information helps, Astrology is not something you learn overnight, but over many many many nights. :) Also this web sight does tend to focus on Traditional, not Modern Astrology and there are some differences there. Expect to be a bit lost for a while, but expect to learn much! Good luck in your journey.

Granny
Last edited by granny_skot on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello guys! I think this forum is for astrology geniuses only since from each threads and discussions I've read so far make me searched all terms to the web just to understand you're conversations.
Personally, I think this is an excellent point. While some discussions 'do' and also by their nature 'have to' get very technical in their form there are instances where the forum member could be more careful with their references and abbreviations. The Sports section, in example, have some very exciting and lively discussion going on. I always get frustrated when a game is discussed and I'm not sure or either the time or location of the game, or the ascendant, moon, planetary hour or Part of Fortune (POF) isn't quoted. It is simply too much work for me to look everything up and work it out for myself to be able to follow along.

It has occured to me that we could need a glossary for certain abbreviation used at the forum. Maybe the moderator should compile such a list of terms. I think the point is that abbreviations are often used internally in any field of business, but that we have to remember that what is written at the forum is open for all to read, and naturally we want to make ourselves understandable and our astrology tangible and available to all.
http://www.astronor.com

Andrew J. Bevan wrote: It has occured to me that we could need a glossary for certain abbreviation used at the forum. Maybe the moderator should compile such a list of terms. I think the point is that abbreviations are often used internally in any field of business, but that we have to remember that what is written at the forum is open for all to read, and naturally we want to make ourselves understandable and our astrology tangible and available to all.
Hope the moderators will actually do. It would be a great help to those newbies who wish to learn more about this field.

There is a glossary right on the menu bar at the top of this page:

What is lacking is a solid introduction to traditional astrology that assumes no astrology knowledge on the part of the reader. Joseph Crane wrote a fine introductory book A Practical Guide to Traditional Astrology and Lee Lehman wrote more in-depth works on the subject, Classical Astrology for Modern Living and Essential Dignities, but both authors expect the reader to know some astrology before getting into the books.

There is a book published by Llewellyn by one Kevin Burk, a student of Lehman's that goes in this direction, but as soon as I saw Chiron I put it down.

Not every discussion on this forum is super technical, but many of us wander in that direction out of the sheer joy of having a place to discuss our art with others who understand it without having to defend it from the illiterate attacks of moonbats.

I suggest any beginner start a thread by asking a question about a topic that interests them. Don't make it so broad as to invite so many answers that the result is only confusion. And by all means state up front that the poster is a beginner and would appreciate answers that a beginner would understand and appreciate. It might generate some interesting discussion as well as pointing the author in a fruitiful direction.

Tom